Lackluster "performance" - 2014 Dart GT 6spd manual
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Lackluster "performance" - 2014 Dart GT 6spd manual within the Dodge Dart GT forums, part of the Dodge Dart GT Forum - Dodge Dart GT Discussion category; I know this isn't a sports car or performance car, by any stretch of the imagination, but I expected almost 200hp from a small lightweight ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Lackluster "performance" - 2014 Dart GT 6spd manual

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dart GT 2005 RAM 1500 4x4 1983 Capri RS 1979 Capri RS
      Liked
      14 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

I know this isn't a sports car or performance car, by any stretch of the imagination, but I expected almost 200hp from a small lightweight car to be a bit more responsive than it is. WOT from a dig (no tire spin), it barely out-accelerates grandma with her walker to 60, and I can honestly say I don't feel any difference between 1/2 throttle and wide-open. A nice 1-2 shift at 6k rpm WOT elicited a small bark-bark of the front tires. It made me giggle, because I expected more.

On one hand, I'm happy, because I'll be teaching my oldest daughter to drive with this car and eventually it will become her first car, but on the other hand, I'm saddened. Yea, I have a couple other vehicles that are my play toys, and for a daily commuter car, this is plenty good enough (getting 26mpg mixed highway/city in hilly terrain, and not driving it for the stellar fuel economy results).

Is this just typical of this vehicle, and I should just get used to it?

----------------------------------------------------
      2014 Dart GT - True Blue Pearl 6spd manual - fully loaded
      2005 RAM 1500 4x4 - 250k miles and still going
      1984 Capri RS - 5.0L Coyote Twin Turbo project
      1979 Capri RS - built 306 & T5 with a little spray

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is Looking for 7th gear

Vehicle
      2014 Dart SE Blue Streak 6 speed
      Mods
      CAI, STS, Rear trans mount, CU plugs, RRM pulley,
      Liked
      2406 times
      Mentioned
      499 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The Dart is a sporty economy car. It is not going to burn tires or set 1/4 records. It will turn heads for style though. Looking at your other cars you have listed im gonig to say that you just have to get used to how the dart handles.

The only thing i can say is that the WOT the car opens to 85 and slowly opens to 100%, someone posted a video of it. That has been a issue many members would like fixed.
      youngsmith53 likes this.

'BlueStreak'
      2014 Dodge Dart SE manual Blue Streak

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is Glorious

Vehicle
      Citrus Peel Pearlcoat Rallye w/ 2.0L Powertech
      Mods
      Too many for this box. Visit the build thread, click the link in signature...
      Liked
      4296 times
      Mentioned
      672 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Capri83RS View Post
      Is this just typical of this vehicle, and I should just get used to it?
      I hate to tell you but, you might need to get used to it. The Dart is not a "light weight car"... Small, yes, light weight, no. The 2014 GT you have clocks in about 3,186 lbs for curb weight, where as the Capri's are more than likely significantly less in weight (couldn't find rock solid numbers to compare). Also, you are comparing the GT to a 5.0 twin turbo project and a built 306 with some NO2, the GT is never going to compare to those two. The other reason you are mentioning the WOT pedal is because the drive by wire and how the TB reacts to the pedal, you aren't going to get a true WOT with the Dart, unless you can eliminate the DBW setup.

The Dart isn't a true sports car, it's a sporty (in apperance) four door commuter, but was un-fairly marketed as a sport car.
      Last edited by youngsmith53; 08-06-2015 at 06:20 AM.
      YoungSmith53 / Aya Build Thread
      To make the .org enjoyable, follow the .org guidelines, use the new and improved reputation system (star button at bottom left of post) & the new and improved .org search.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3877 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      The Dart GT is not a high performance car. It has some improved handling and a slightly lower final drive ratio for slightly improved acceleration compared to other 2.4L Darts, but this car isn't in the same class as a GTI, Civic Si, or Focus ST. It's a good-looking, well-equipped compact family sedan that is better suited to the daily grind of getting to the office than the racetrack. Also, compare it to the competition, and it's not really "slow". Try driving any Corolla or non-Si Civic, and you'll see that the Dart is not so bad.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      14 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by youngsmith53 View Post
      I hate to tell you but, you might need to get used to it. The Dart is not a "light weight car"... Small, yes, light weight, no. The 2014 GT you have clocks in about 3,186 lbs for curb weight, where as the Capri's are more than likely significantly less in weight (couldn't find rock solid numbers to compare). Also, you are comparing the GT to a 5.0 twin turbo project and a built 306 with some NO2, the GT is never going to compare to those two. The other reason you are mentioning the WOT pedal is because the drive by wire and how the TB reacts to the pedal, you aren't going to get a true WOT with the Dart, unless you can eliminate the DBW setup.

The Dart isn't a true sports car, it's a sporty (in apperance) four door commuter, but was un-fairly marketed as a sport car.
      1.) I didn't realize the Dart was that heavy. My fox body cars are probably not close to that anymore, due to the severe weight reduction plan I've put them both on. Creature comforts like PW, PDL, Power Steering, Stereo, AC/Heat, sound deadening, thermal insulation .... that stuff isn't needed. :P
      2.) The drive-by-wire should not be a hindrance, my RAM is a drive-by-wire, and I can burn the tires down 1st and 2nd gear. It weighs 5200lbs. I've also had a 2012 Mustang GT (12.59 @ 113.8mph with a tune on street tires) and a 2013 Focus ST (slightly more expensive than the Dart, huge performance increase, not as good of a first car for a beginner teenage driver)
      3.) I know the Dart will never compare to my toys (I never expected it to), but I expected it to be a better performer than my wifes 2011 Kia Sorento.

It feels like the 0-60 time is more on the line of two days instead of 8 seconds.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      14 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
      ... WOT the car opens to 85 and slowly opens to 100%, someone posted a video of it. That has been a issue many members would like fixed.
      That is interesting to hear. I have a friend in the tuning business, I wonder if that's something he can address. If he even has the software to read the code on this car.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is Glorious

Vehicle
      Citrus Peel Pearlcoat Rallye w/ 2.0L Powertech
      Mods
      Too many for this box. Visit the build thread, click the link in signature...
      Liked
      4296 times
      Mentioned
      672 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      2.) The drive-by-wire should not be a hindrance, my RAM is a drive-by-wire, and I can burn the tires down 1st and 2nd gear. It weighs 5200lbs. I've also had a 2012 Mustang GT (12.59 @ 113.8mph with a tune on street tires) and a 2013 Focus ST (slightly more expensive than the Dart, huge performance increase, not as good of a first car for a beginner teenage driver)
      The way the Dart is tuned coupled with the DBW is the hindrance, you are talking about your RAM and that is tuned completely differently than the Dart as well as the GT & the ST. No matter what the Dart (at this time) is 100% tuned for economy in the Dodge lineup for EPA & CAFE reasons.
      YoungSmith53 / Aya Build Thread
      To make the .org enjoyable, follow the .org guidelines, use the new and improved reputation system (star button at bottom left of post) & the new and improved .org search.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3877 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      1.) I didn't realize the Dart was that heavy. My fox body cars are probably not close to that anymore, due to the severe weight reduction plan I've put them both on. Creature comforts like PW, PDL, Power Steering, Stereo, AC/Heat, sound deadening, thermal insulation .... that stuff isn't needed. :P
      3.) I know the Dart will never compare to my toys (I never expected it to), but I expected it to be a better performer than my wifes 2011 Kia Sorento.

It feels like the 0-60 time is more on the line of two days instead of 8 seconds.
      You're comparing your Dart to the wrong kinds of cars, as I mentioned above. Compare it to the base model Focus, the Corolla, the non-Si Civic, the Sentra, and a whole bunch of other compact ECONOMY cars. None of them are fast, they're mostly sold as economical appliance vehicles. As far as power-to-weight ratio goes, the Dart is actually better than most in its class, even it if is kind of heavy.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Auto Bright White
      Mods
      Driver Mod
      Liked
      1133 times
      Mentioned
      73 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      You are comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare a truck with a 320+hp V8, your wifes 250+hp V6, and a Focus ST to a NA I4 with less than 200hp.

It has more than enough get up for 184hp and 3200lbs. My car, I am estimating at low 7's based on previous 7, 8, and 9 second 0-60 cars I have owned in the past. Try shifting earlier than 6k for 1-2 shift. The 2.4 doesn't like to be redlined from a dig.
      youngsmith53 likes this.

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1931 times
      Mentioned
      209 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      nm.....
      Last edited by pkgmsu2000; 08-06-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links