Starter remove and replace 2.4 Limited
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Starter remove and replace 2.4 Limited within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; My wife informed me her Dart was not starting right up when she pushed start early in the mornings going to work. I surmised the ...

User Tag List

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

My wife informed me her Dart was not starting right up when she pushed start early in the mornings going to work. I surmised the solenoid switch to be failing after checking it out, observing battery voltage while she pushed start. Once she pressed start it would start, but with a notable delay. I ordered a starter from ebay and went to school studying all I could find about how to swap it out. I found posts and even videos on YouTube showing how they took the passenger side lower control arm off the car, removed the passenger side drive shaft and even the heater hoses and so forth. Once I got the starter I saw how small it actually is and decided to look it over and see if it would fit around that axle shaft. I put the car on jack stands, removed the aero pan and slid it to the rear out of the way. I disconnected the battery and then passed the new starter all around the axle shaft, which convinced me I did not have to remove all these things. I gingerly removed the upper bolt; I used a 15MM Mac Tools combination wrench that is not very long and was therefore easier to get a reasonable turn on the bolt each cycle of the wrench. After getting that larger upper bolt free of the threads, I easily removed the lower 14MM wrench size bolt with a universal socket, extension and ratchet. A 13MM wrench easily removed the nut holding on the battery cable and the spade terminal for the solenoid energizer field easily pulled off. It had taken me less than an hour at this point and the starter was off the car. I put the new starter in place to reattach the battery cable and spade connector which was very easily done. I then concentrated on starting the top bolt that is threaded into the starter itself (I oiled these threads to make turning that bolt in easier) and was able to start it very easily. I scratched my wrist up a bit forcing my hand up so that I could turn that bolt in until hand tight, which made it very easy to then tighten the last couple of turns with that 15MM combination wrench, . Once pulled down I finished tightening the lower 14MM size bolt which is very easily done.
      I completed the starter swap in less than two hours total, jacking the car up in the garage, changing it out, getting the stands out and my wife backed the finished Dart out the door. Had I done this job they way many say you must do it I would still be working on it. I said all this to let you know, should your starter need replacing, don't be afraid to tackle it yourself, just use some good common sense. I am an old man, if I can do it, most anyone can do it. We have 164K on that Dart now, and we bought it new in `14. It has been a great car for us.

Mopars-Only

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      774 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Not sure where you saw that all that stuff needs to be removed to get to the starter. The Dart factory service manual basically says to do it the way you did except that it suggests removing the through bolt for the rear mount to swing the motor forward to get more room. Nice to know that step isn't necessary, thanks.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I found it all just using a general web search before attempting, and I searched YouTube specifically, directly on their page too. I don't have the manual for our Dart. I have every other vehicle we own but the Dart I have not seen at a fair price. I guess I have to pay the big price to get it some time soon, because our mileage is getting up there now. I did not know about the motor mount bolt idea, maybe it would have gone quicker that way.
      I posted this hoping no one would do all the stuff others put on YouTube on how to do swap that starter out.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      Not sure where you saw that all that stuff needs to be removed to get to the starter. The Dart factory service manual basically says to do it the way you did except that it suggests removing the through bolt for the rear mount to swing the motor forward to get more room. Nice to know that step isn't necessary, thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      774 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      You can get a reasonable price subscription version of the FSM at this link:
      https://www.alldatadiy.com/

If you want the CDrom version go to TechAuthority.com where it will cost about $150 with shipping. It will only work with Internet Explorer, no other browser. I copied the entire CD to my hard drive. I only use IE for the FSM and keep it as the home page. I use FireFox for everything else.

Here is a screenshot of the IE homepage on my PC. Notice I changed the icon to the Dodge rhombus and also have a tab for the Ram FSM.
      Name:  dartfsmscreenshot1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  73.2 KB
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 07-12-2019 at 07:52 PM.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thanks for the service manual on CD info, I will have to look into that soon. As far as the computer talk, well let me say the first time I ever saw a computer it was in the bank when I cashed my paycheck and I was mid thirties. I built a few computers from new parts over the years, but having no formal software education or training I know very little about software. I use Internet Explorer and it works well for me, and so that service manual should work for me. My other Mopar manuals on CD all work with Adobe Acrobat, which we also have here on our PCs. I guess this Dart CD is different and I will adjust. As far as how you changed things around on your software, well good for you but I don't expect to be able to do that myself so I will have to let that one go, but thanks all the same.
      I drove the Dart to church and back twice yesterday and it was just great. The wife is happy and so, you know the old adage, "happy wife, happy life." Thanks again for the information sir.
      Mopars-Only

Sponsored Links