Another owner w/ p0299 problems
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Another owner w/ p0299 problems within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; So I'm another victim of the infamous underboost code. Have a 13' sxt 6speed 1.4T. Have had the underboost code for about 7 months now. ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By alpinegreenneon

Thread: Another owner w/ p0299 problems

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

So I'm another victim of the infamous underboost code. Have a 13' sxt 6speed 1.4T. Have had the underboost code for about 7 months now. Replaced the turbo, adjusted the preload on it, replaced the boost soloniod, upgraded to the GFB Diverter valve, pressure tested the system for any boost leaks, and looked through hours of forums online on the subject. I'm getting to the point were I'm started to be bitter towards the dart. I'm definitely bitter towards the fiat 1.4 turbo engine. I love the car and want to be able to drive it again without having to shut it off every 2 minutes to reset it out of limp mode. Please help with any advice. Thanks

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      747 times
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Not sure if this FSM diagnostic for P0299 has been posted before. Sometimes it's good to start with the basics. It isn't always a part that needs to be replaced. Verify the wiring with a multimeter. Make sure there are no boost leaks. Hope this helps.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P0299-00-TURBOCHARGER UNDERBOOST CONDITION

Name:  dartP0299schematic.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  42.0 KB

Theory of Operation

The base Turbocharger boost pressure is managed by the mechanical Wastegate. The Wastegate is a mechanical valve that, when opened, allows exhaust gases to flow around the turbine. The Wastegate is spring loaded in the closed position. Boost pressure is applied to a diaphragm that works against the spring pressure of the Wastegate. When the force created by the boost pressure exceeds the spring force in the Wastegate, the valve opens. This limits boost pressure by limiting the speed of the Turbocharger. Boost pressure is applied against the spring pressure of the Wastegate to control the speed of the Turbocharger. The Wastegate Solenoid is Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) by the PCM and is located between the compressor and mechanical Wastegate. When opened by the PCM, the Wastegate Solenoid bleeds boost pressure away from the mechanical wastegate, this allows the PCM to increase boost pressure to a level higher than would be allowed by the mechanical wastegate alone. The system operates as follows; boost pressure is supplied to the Wastegate Solenoid through a hose connected to the compressor side of the Turbocharger. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) varies the PWM signal to the Wastegate Solenoid to control the amount of boost pressure applied against the Wastegate. When more boost pressure is needed, the Wastegate Solenoid will direct more of the boost pressure to the clean air tube upstream of the Turbocharger and less against the Wastegate spring.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
      •DTCs P0033, P0034, P0035, P0237, P0238, P0299, P006C, P006D, P012B, P1185, P2261, P2262 are not present..

Set Conditions:

•The PCM detects that the difference between the Boost Pressure Sensor desired value minus the actual reading is above a calibrated value for the driving conditions.

Default Actions:

•MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

RESTRICTED AIR FILTER
      BOOST SYSTEM PRESSURE HOSES RESTRICTED OR LEAKING
      SMALL INTAKE SYSTEM LEAK OR RESTRICTION
      EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTION
      WASTEGATE SOLENOID
      WASTEGATE VALVE STICKING
      TURBOCHARGER (DRAGGING TURBINE)

1.CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

1. Turn the ignition on.

2. Test drive the vehicle.

3. With the scan tool, read DTCs and record on the repair order.

Is the DTC active or pending?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Perform the INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2.CHECK THE AIR FILTER

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Remove and inspect the Air Filter and housing inlet for snow, soiling or excessive dirt and debris which may cause air flow restriction.

Were any of these problems found?

Yes

•Replace the Air Filter or remove the obstruction.
      •Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 3

3.CHECK FOR INTAKE SYSTEM LEAKS OR RESTRICTIONS

NOTE: Damaged, restricted or poorly connected Intake System and Turbocharger System related tubes can cause this DTC to set.

1. Inspect all air intake, crankcase vent and Turbocharger related hoses/tubes and clamps for leaks or damage.

2. Inspect all boost pressure system hoses for leaks or restrictions.

3. Inspect the Intercooler Assembly for signs of a leak.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair or replace as necessary.
      •Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 4

4.CHECK FOR EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTIONS

1. Inspect the complete exhaust system for damaged, bent or clogged pipes that can cause exhaust system restrictions and excessive back pressure.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair or replace as necessary.

No

•Go To 5

5.WASTEGATE AND SOLENOID INSPECTION

1. Inspect the Wastegate Solenoid, linkage and the Wastegate for proper operation. Refer to the appropriate Service Information.

2. Inspect and test each of the Wastegate Solenoid vacuum/pressure hoses between the engine, the Wastegate Solenoid and the Wastegate Valve.

3. Inspect and test each of the Wastegate Solenoid electrical circuits between the solenoid connector and PCM C1 harness connector.

NOTE: Test each electrical circuit for high resistance, a short to ground and a short to voltage.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair as necessary.

No

•Repair or replace the Turbocharger in accordance with the Service Information.
      BlyTG likes this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart SXT 1.4L
      Mods
      Go Fast Bits DV, Deyeme CDV Delete, Deyeme Flexible Rear Drivetrain Mount, K&N Drop In, Madness Ligh
      Liked
      5 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I was searching the forums for this. On the advice of many I replaced the wastegate solenoid yesterday for the P0299. All that done, now I am getting the P2262 boost not detected. I know my k&n is filthy so will be cleaning it tonight. The other issue is one of the vacuum lines running from the solenoid to the air intake. On that line the nipple on the air intake is worn/broken so I used a bigger piece of hose to Jury rig a connection, unfortunately I don't think I am getting enough of a connection there so the plan is to go to home depot and get a brass nipple that I can thread into the air intake.... hopefully I get a more solid connection from that. IF that doesn't work I will spring for the CAI. Also I noticed some coolant pooled around the down pipe? think its what is referred to as down pipe. The pipe that comes straight down from the turbo bell... it is just a short section of hose maybe 2" dia, so I will replace that little section today and see what we come up with..

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Where are you finding the boost solenoid and wastegate? I cant find these parts anywhere online or even thru the dealer!! All I can find is wastegate harness. I am so sick of this p0299 code and its out of warranty. And this light has gone on and off a couple times a year for 3 years. Now twice in one week. My daughter drives this car on the thruway where she definitely needs the turbo to merge etc. Figured I'd try having the boost solenoid and wastegate replaced since that seems to be everyone's issue. All these mechanics keep telling me something seems to be sticking cause it'll clear the fault on it's own after a few days. But I dont want to spend a ton on diagnostic testing and still not be fixed. And the dealer is going to tell me it's the turbo, but doubt it's that.

Sponsored Links