Looking to purchase 2013 1.4 turbo Dart. Help! - Page 3
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Looking to purchase 2013 1.4 turbo Dart. Help!

This is a discussion on Looking to purchase 2013 1.4 turbo Dart. Help! within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Originally Posted by Dodgeboi (Gearhead HQ) ah okay. Yes I am somewhat mechanically inclined and my father has been a master Chrysler tech for longer ...

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Looking to purchase 2013 1.4 turbo Dart. Help!

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      160 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeboi (Gearhead HQ) View Post
      ah okay. Yes I am somewhat mechanically inclined and my father has been a master Chrysler tech for longer than I've been alive lol. So I asked him what he thought of the Dart and he said he's only worked on a few and since people only bring them to him when they have issues he couldn't tell me for sure whether one would be reliable or not. He said in all his years he's only worked on a handful so that's why I'm out here researching them. I understand every car has issues and sometimes some will be more problematic then others. I just want to know if the Dart is deserving of the bad rep it's received.
      I will honestly say no.. The Dart does not deserve the bad rep it got.. They screwed up pretty bad on it in 2013 and it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths as well as how FCA handled the car throughout the 4 years it was sold (because we didn't get the SRT version and they just canned it and didn't really try to sell it). But it's a wonderful car. Everytime I drive it I have a hard time not trying to have fun with it. Actually it's funny I brought up the Fiero earlier because I'm going to make a connection here (I actually owned one.. I drove it home.. That was all I could do with it. Funny but long story). But the Fiero as we all know by now got a rep of being one of the worst lemons in automotive history! But it was ONLY because of the first year it was sold! Everybody heard about the magnesium panels on the back that could catch fire.. That was only the first year and was quickly recalled. Outside of that it was a solid car besides being rather slow.. But it was fun none the less. All other years besides the first year enjoyed heavy success as far as reliability.. Unfortunately because of the first year model however no one bought it. Funny how that happens..

Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      It might be worth the money to get a CarFax on this car. Buying a used car can be a risk. But if you are mechanically inclined, almost any car can be a good deal. I bought 4 used Neons in the last 20 years and there was nothing I couldn't fix. One was ready for the junkyard and I turned it into an award winning show car.

My NYG ACR
      Attachment 116216
      Nice Neon man!! I used to adore them back in the day and crazy enough... They had a bad reputation of being trash heaps among my circle of friends and family so I always stayed away. Would still love to get my hands on an SRT-4
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 01-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
      Mods:
      NGK LZTR4A-11 5306 copper spark plugs gapped to .048
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme ice blue CDV delete
      Deyeme Short shift arm
      Deyeme ice blue shift rod
      Deyeme ice blue Firm Rear Trans Mount
      Kenda Kaiser KR-20s (Front)
      Metal blue valve stem caps
      Chrome door handle covers

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Soopacharged , in two days, you posted exactly the same reply to two new members. That's what I find objectionable. No one said you should go to a private mechanic. If your dealer could not get it right and it's still under warranty, go to another dealer. If that doesn't help, sell the car and buy something else. Any car can have mechanical or electrical issues. In my opinion, anything can be fixed. Why stay on a forum for a car you hate?
      Like I said, I never go to a dealer for anything (except parts) even if it is a warranty thing. I even did my own recall for the windshield wiper washer motor. If the OP wants to take a chance because he is mechanically inclined and found a good deal, more power to him.
      I clearly stated the issues that I have and they are multiple. I have an appointment for this coming Monday for more repairs. Why would I not say this if it's my experience. Should people be banned from putting negative reviews on Trip Advisor? Did you read the problems I'm having? Your response should have been a little more empathetic. Instead you try to silence me. There are good problem free Darts and problem filled Darts. The OP, I'm assuming, wants a realistic array of answers. Why sugar coat things?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      750 times
      Mentioned
      132 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Dartanyion View Post

Nice Neon man!! I used to adore them back in the day and crazy enough... They had a bad reputation of being trash heaps among my circle of friends and family so I always stayed away. Would still love to get my hands on an SRT-4
      Thanks! Neons, in my opinion were one of the best things Chrysler ever made. Once you got the multilayer steel headgasket, the engine was like the energizer bunny. I wish they still made them. The ones I had to get rid of were because of rust. I know the Mexican Neon is really a Fiat Tipo, but would still like one for nostalgia.
      The Dart is sort of like a Neon. If you have the later base version without all the bells and whistles, there is almost nothing to go wrong. If I had one with a touch screen, and it went bad, I would go to a junkyard and install the base radio.
      Dartanyion and Swordsage like this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart SXT 1.4L Turbo 6 Speed, Blue Streak
      Mods
      See signature, I apparently have too many for this little box
      Liked
      173 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I've got a 2013 SXT 1.4.

The Darts are largely a love/hate relationship. People love the look, and the tech in them, but they aren't the most reliable cars. Some are lucky (like myself), others seem to get plagued with issue after issue.

The cars have a great look/style to them, however, they are large/heavy and aren't as peppy/powerful as the look might imply - which turns some people off. The aftermarket community is biggest for the 1.4, for the sole reason that the 1.4 is Fiat engine that is shared in many of their platforms.

The 2013's have a few more typical issues, that were addressed later on - the biggest being the bad wastegate flapper in the turbo's. Many were replaced under warranty - this is something you should look into. See if it was replaced with the newer version, or be prepared to do it in the future.
      Soopacharged likes this.
      Since I've done too much to fit in this signature, check out my list of modifications here: https://i.imgur.com/8dj5UJG.png

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2676 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I'm gonna buy a new Chevy instead of a Honda,Toyota or Ford, and... I'm gonna buy a whole box of Harry's razors instead of my usual Gillette !
      You folks see what I did there ? I'm on the cutting edge of product "top-of-mind" placements ! (no pun there....)
      Dartanyion likes this.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is a proud Dart owner.

Vehicle
      1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe 2013 Dodge Dart Limited Maximum Steel 1.4L MT
      Mods
      Racetrack Tail lamps, Llumar 30% CTX-Ceramic tint
      Liked
      457 times
      Mentioned
      22 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I own a 2013 Limited with the 1.4l turbo and a manual transmission. I bought it new in February 2013 and have just under 55,000 miles on it. I had the short block replaced when a cam seal failed at 30,000 miles. Discovered later the air conditioning system was damaged during the block replacement. Took three summer months to get the replacement parts (national back order). I would consider those fluke events. Nothing to dissuade me from purchasing another one.

I had the dreaded "clutch pedal stuck to the floor" issue around 48,000 miles. The slave cylinder failed. That is a common failure in manual transmission Darts. Dodge has not updated the slave cylinder since the launch of the Dart. Replacing a suspect part with the same suspect part does give me pause though.

Do I like my Dart? Yes. Would I buy another knowing what I know now? I doubt it. It is hard for me to stand up for a vehicle that the manufacturer won't stand behind.
      dad's dart likes this.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by marg_fan View Post
      I own a 2013 Limited with the 1.4l turbo and a manual transmission. I bought it new in February 2013 and have just under 55,000 miles on it. I had the short block replaced when a cam seal failed at 30,000 miles. Discovered later the air conditioning system was damaged during the block replacement. Took three summer months to get the replacement parts (national back order). I would consider those fluke events. Nothing to dissuade me from purchasing another one.

I had the dreaded "clutch pedal stuck to the floor" issue around 48,000 miles. The slave cylinder failed. That is a common failure in manual transmission Darts. Dodge has not updated the slave cylinder since the launch of the Dart. Replacing a suspect part with the same suspect part does give me pause though.

Do I like my Dart? Yes. Would I buy another knowing what I know now? I doubt it. It is hard for me to stand up for a vehicle that the manufacturer won't stand behind.
      FCA absolutely doesn't stand behind this car. When I called to complain about how the dealer scammed me into buying a warranty and then git physically pushed me out of the manager's office when I went back to complain, they said that there was nothing they could do. Now I have a service manager telling me that the shake I feel is normal. When all is good I really like my Dart. Unfortunately it's in the shop just about once every two months at least. So disappointed.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      750 times
      Mentioned
      132 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Has anyone besides me noticed the OP's screen name? @Dodgeboi (Gearhead HQ) is probably not going to be going to the dealer for every little thing. Many would consider me to be a gearhead. Like I said, almost anything can be fixed if you have the knowledge, tools, and skills.
      McLabia likes this.
      -Case

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Has anyone besides me noticed the OP's screen name? @Dodgeboi (Gearhead HQ) is probably not going to be going to the dealer for every little thing. Many would consider me to be a gearhead. Like I said, almost anything can be fixed if you have the knowledge, tools, and skills.
      What's with you? I could be a Dodge mechanic, it doesn't change the fact that repairs take time and money. Also who repairs cars on their own time with their own money? Of course everything can be fixed. How does that fact make it a good car? 99.999999999% of the people in the world are not mechanics. My 1st car was a 10 year old 1984 Honda Prelude. Drove it hard for 2 years straight with zero problems. Sold my 1993 Toyota Camry about 3 years ago. Not because of mechanical issues, because there were none, but because of rust. I love my Dart when it's all good. I really wanted to like this car.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      750 times
      Mentioned
      132 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Doing repairs yourself save lots of money and there's the satisfaction that you did it and you did it right. I like fixing things, there's almost nothing I won't at least try to fix. My Darts have been trouble free. I like that. What I don't like is depending on someone else like a dealer tech. I don't care that a warranty could fix it for free, I still want to be the one that fixes it. Maybe you should try learning to do things yourself.
      -Case

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links