Dodge Dart Forum banner

2013 Dodge Dart Rallye scraping

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Delta Dart 
#1 ·
Hey guys as title says my
Girls Dodge Dart under body is scrapping bad in some spots around town. She does all she can to avoid or find the right angle to pull into the driveway which she usually gets 90% of the time. However today she hit a pretty decent size pot hole that she did not see and the under body I guess shield? Is mangled. I found a part online just not sure if this is the correct one. Can someone confirm with me on the part or should I look into possibly getting the car raised?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe Deyeme Racing offers an aftermarket closeout panel and belly pan for a fair price that includes all mounting hardwear - they state it is sturdier and has a higher ground clearance than the OEM ones. Has anyone purchased this and want to comment on it?

#5 ·
There are very limited suspension options available for the Dart, and I don't think there is anything out there available that will increase ground clearance over stock besides perhaps converting to an airbag suspension system (ie. "bagging" it) that can be adjusted to higher than stock.
Yeah, after that option given I am just gonna go with ordering the part and leaving it stock haha. Thanks guys so much you were all a huge help.

#8 ·
Even typing into google Dodge Dart rallye scrapping numerous threads come up over this issue. However, no post has the part to replace just what people "made custom". Thank you for your insight or advice but I feel like the dart or atleast the rallye is lower than normal, possibly? Before we bought It I took it to my local mechanic (10+ year relationship) he looked over everything for over an hour and gave it two thumbs up. We have had it now a year and get it routinely checked/worked on(oil etc) so it's not a suspension issue. We didn't expect or think at the time of purchase of how low the ride is. We live in New Jersey which the roads here are horrible. We look like we're drunk driving out here trying to avoid pot holes and dips in the road. I drive a truck she wants it but not right now maybe in the future. I just figured this would be a "diy" swap out project for an hour under the tree shade.

#11 ·
@Casey516, I also live in NJ. A solution for me was to buy taller tires. The tires I'm currently running are 225/55/17. They are a taller tire that fits on the rim well. It took away some of the scraping and "bottoming out" of the suspension when I hit the NJ sink holes/pot holes.

Specifically, I purchased the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S.

Good luck...

#12 ·
Taller tires than OEM will affect your speedometer calibration, BTW. You'll actually be going slightly faster than what it says, so be mindful of that if you like to push the speed limit. Low ground clearance is a plague not only on the Dart but most compacts across the board. The first couple times I scraped my brand-new Dart on driveways and such I was upset, but it happens so often that I've had to learn to just live with it.

The aero shield helps air pass underneath the car and slightly improves fuel economy, but it also prevents airflow into the engine compartment and really increases under-hood temps. It also acts as a catch basin for dirt, rocks, and road debris. I really need to take mine off and clean it sometime because I think my car is 200 pounds heavier with all the crap that must be trapped under there.

#13 ·
I'm a pizza driver so I pull in and out of driveways all day I found no matter how slow you back out of a driveway or the angle you're more likely to scrape now what I learned was you back into the driveway so that you pull out forward I don't know why this works perfect but I never ever scrape when I do this and I can launch out the driveway. Voice to text so you get a giant run-on sentence.

#15 ·
Just reason #254 why more and more people are buying SUVs these days. It's so easy to change the oil in my Jeep when it's in the garage... just throw an old towel under there, slide under and remove the drain plug. I have to put my Dart on car ramps, and even they scrape against the lower fascia before the tires can reach them. And once on ramps I STILL don't have as much room underneath as I do with my Jeep! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.