Can someone walk me through speaker replacement with my base radio...?
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Can someone walk me through speaker replacement with my base radio...? within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Hey guys, I'll admit my ignorance on this subject, so I decided to ask those of you are experienced with this type of procedure. I ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can someone walk me through speaker replacement with my base radio...?

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 bright silver Dart sxt 2.0
      Mods
      Wax job
      Liked
      20 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, I'll admit my ignorance on this subject, so I decided to ask those of you are experienced with this type of procedure.
      I kept my Dart kind of basic, due to funds being tight.
      I have the base radio with 6 speakers. I'm a little confused with the Kicker speakers being offered by Mopar. As I understand it, the 3.5" rear speakers are for those with the premium audio as an upgraded speaker vs the factory speakers offered in the premium package, right?
      Then there is the set that offers 2 6x9 woofers and front tweeters. Then 2 6x9 2 way speakers are offered for the rear doors.
      So, with my base radio, the 6x9 woofers and front tweeters and the 2 6x9 2 ways are drop ins compatible with my radio?, right
      I have seen the instillation photos showing where to pry the plastic off, then remove the bolts, and then "remove door panel".
      My dumb question is, and I know it sounds naive, but after removing the bolts, the door has the plastic pins that need to be pried off too, right? I have basic trim tools.
      And lastly, does the door lift up, then off? The last time I took a door panel off is on my kids '90 Dakota, and I seem to remember having to lift it up first to get it off of the lip on the door, and I remember messing up some trim doing that.
      So you guys help an old fart out, would ya?
      Thanks

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is missing her Dart!

Vehicle
      '05 Grand Cherokee
      Mods
      [stock]
      Liked
      5686 times
      Mentioned
      516 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Good question; there's a thread around that has pics of the door panel off. "Pics you won't normally see" or something along those lines. I would ask there.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is happy as hell

Vehicle
      dart limited on order, 2000 grand am, 2001 Gmc 2500Hd 8.1 gas hog with a plow
      Liked
      108 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      best thing to do is buy a service manual from dodge, That way you will do it correct and get tips and photo's of how to do it right
      iplaythediamond likes this.
      2013 Limited
      PITCH Black Clear Coat, Limited Leather Seats Black,

1.4L Turbo Engine, 6-Spd C635 Dual Dry Clutch

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Wax job
      Liked
      20 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thanks for what help you could give me.. I ordered my Kickers today along with my free dealer add in fog lights. (long story. Employes get SOME favoritism sometimes) I should have bought a higher package, but I wanted to keep it cheap.
      As far as the correct procedure to remove and replace, I decided to give the Chrysler training center friend a call on Monday to see if he has an option to get me a service manual. I'm sure if I dug a bit in the QCM guys computer at work ,I could find what I'm looking for, but he's really busy and don't like bothering him. So I'll try the training center( where they train the Chrysler techs.) I know one guy casually from when they were in the same building where I work. I don't know him well, and haven't seen him but twice in the last 8 years,but we know each other, and I guess it's a better place to look than here. BTW, I remember when the Prowler was close to launch, they brought us in there and showed us one up on a lift. i can still recall reaching up to the lower left cladding and tugging on it and seeing it move more than I thought it should ! It seemed like that expensive of a car should have had rock solid parts, but everything is so mass produced, it's just the way things are. Oh well, it was a cool car anyway.
      Regards.
      Jabski

Banned
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Bright White Exterior Black Leather Interior w/Red accents Sunroof 9-Speaker
      Mods
      Stock
      Liked
      1068 times
      Mentioned
      23 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Most MOPAR Accessories come with directions for installation. I was also wondering where the 3.5" speakers go.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Wax job
      Liked
      20 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The 3.5s go in the back shelf. I think they're part of the Alpine system, maybe ???
      But I'm just worried that I'll screw up my door panel by not removing it right. I understand that it's not rocket science, and it's one of those things that once you do it, it's a piece of cake. The last time I removed a Dakota door panel, I messed up the part of trim that the glass slides through. I should know the name of it, but I don't.
      By the time the speakers come in I'll have found the answers I'm looking for.
      I just thought someone here could give me a few pointers. I assumed that a lot of people here have done this type of thing a lot, and I haven't, and was just looking for some pointers.
      Thanks

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited,2005 dodge SRT-4 Commemorative Edition, 2018 Dodge Durango SRT, 1972 Mercury
      Mods
      MPx intercooler charge pipes, Custom 2 1/2" exhaust with 4" MagnaPack round muffler. Injen CAI
      Liked
      210 times
      Mentioned
      17 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      This is just my thought. I haven't received my dart yet and when I do I am getting the alpine kit, but I would think the 3.5's would be in the front door and the 2 way 6x9's are in the rear shelf. That's at least how most cars I've seen are setup.

As far as taking apart the interior pieces, just take your time so nothing gets damaged and be careful of the connectors for the power windows and mirrors. When I swapped out the stockers in my srt-4 for some sony xplods it was a pretty straight forward process. Just took my time and made sure everything was loose before pulling the panels away.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is missing her Dart!

Vehicle
      '05 Grand Cherokee
      Mods
      [stock]
      Liked
      5686 times
      Mentioned
      516 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I swapped my audio in my 1st-gen Neon, but they're WAY more simple than the dart (unplug, screw in speakers, plug in, done), so I won't be much help. LOL

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Wax job
      Liked
      20 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      M88s22, I have a PDF showing the 6x9 two way speakers as "2013- up Dodge Dart- Rear Door Only- Base Or Premium Audio"
      Another PDF shows the 6x9 woofers and one inch dome tweeters as going in front door-base audio. It doesn't say where the tweeters go, so I assumed that they go up in the front dash.
      I saw somewhere that the 3.5s go in the rear shelf. I know there are cutouts back there for 2 of them, and a bigger cut out for a sub.
      Maybe in the Alpine system, the 3.5s go up front instead of the one inch tweeters in my base. I think there are 3 cutouts in front, but not 100% sure.
      In my R/T Avenger that I just traded, it had the Boston Acoustics system, and I think it had 6x9 woofers in the front doors.
      The dealer wasn't sure how long it would take to get my speakers, as it's a vendor ship item, and not something we stock, or probably will ever stock, at the PDC.
      I really wish I had had the luxury of ordering my Dart and getting a few nicer things in there, but I wanted to trade my Avenger while I was still able to get a decent trade on it. There were a few issues that were going to quickly surface that would have knocked it's value down a LOT, so I settled for a decent , but not loaded, package.
      After my fog lights and speaker get installed, I'll be happy, I guess.
      I bet you can't wait to get your Dart. I bet the Alpine system sounds really nice!
      Last edited by jabski; 08-18-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited,2005 dodge SRT-4 Commemorative Edition, 2018 Dodge Durango SRT, 1972 Mercury
      Mods
      MPx intercooler charge pipes, Custom 2 1/2" exhaust with 4" MagnaPack round muffler. Injen CAI
      Liked
      210 times
      Mentioned
      17 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      jabski, I was just going by other vehicles I have seen. I actually found the speaker layout for the Alpine kit on dart-mouth.com

Alpine® premium audio systems

The 2013 Dodge Dart returns to Chrysler’s traditional high-end audiophile maker — Alpine. The nine-speaker premium audio system with additional subwoofer includes a 12-channel, 506 watt amplifier and digital signal processing with 7.1-adapted surround-sound. Speakers are:
      • Three 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
      • Two 6 x 9-inch speakers in the front doors
      • Two 3.5-inch speakers in the rear-shelf area
      • Two 6 x 9-inch speakers in the rear doors
      • One 8-inch subwoofer in the center of the rear-shelf area

Hope you enjoy those Kicker speakers once you get them installed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links