Dart in top 15 of worst cars to buy? - Page 4
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Dart in top 15 of worst cars to buy?

This is a discussion on Dart in top 15 of worst cars to buy? within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Originally Posted by MJZ Yeah, this is something I know all too well. I reset with fill ups. Even when I fill up then hit ...

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Dart in top 15 of worst cars to buy?

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Chillin'

Vehicle
      '13 Dodge Dart Aero Maximum Steel Metallic
      Mods
      Injen CAI Graphite lightweight wheels 55W HID's at 5000K Red LED interior lamps
      Liked
      214 times
      Mentioned
      21 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
      Yeah, this is something I know all too well. I reset with fill ups. Even when I fill up then hit the highway for a 2 hour drive, I can't touch some of the numbers some of you guys are putting up. If I hit 30mpg on the highway, with cruise on with no AC, I'm lucky.
      1.4T DDCT and I'll get 33 on the highway doing about 75 in moderate traffic. If I keep it on cruise at 65 and it's straight open highway I'll get 47. At least, it was 47 before the CAI and some other work I've done. Sounds like it's time to find an excuse for a road trip.

Also, don't forget....
      Elevation and how flat the road is can make a big difference.
      Whether your gas has Ethanol in it or not will make a huge difference. I average 28-33 without Ethanol, and 22-27 with 10% Ethanol in the gas.
      HID Upgrade Guide

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
      but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      774 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Our Dart SE with the 2.0 and auto has averaged 37.5 mpg using the cheapest gas we can find. We almost exclusively do highway travel since we live in the middle of nowhere.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3879 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by pkgmsu2000 View Post
      there is a GT 2.4 and non-GT 2.4????
      I think he meant that there are non-GT Dart 2.4s. The engines are identical, the only difference is in the transmission's final drive.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 SXT Rallye, 2.4, AT, Blue Streak Pearl
      Liked
      1411 times
      Mentioned
      35 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      I think he meant that there are non-GT Dart 2.4s. The engines are identical, the only difference is in the transmission's final drive.
      Correct. Sorry if my original post sounded confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by horsey55 View Post
      Lousy marketing and profit greed are what screwed the Dart up.Last vehicle for me with this outfit,even though I really like the car unless they change their current marketing plan.Still waiting on those recall parts as well after many months.
      The Dart turned a lot of heads when it was first announced in 2012. My sister-in-law and her husband were among of the first buyers, having been attracted to it because of its sporty good looks. Unfortunately the car proved to be just a nice looker with a crappy drivetrain (1.4 DDCT) that refused to behave itself and made the driving experience less than enjoyable, and then the car was besieged by all manner of electrical bugs (trunk popping open by itself, CEL coming on all the time, etc). When the car got wrecked four months later they were actually glad to be rid of it and bought a Hyundai Elantra instead. I know they will never consider any FCA product again. It's losing customers like that which killed the Dart. Even after the bugs were mostly ironed out the Dart had already lost its chance to make a great first impression, and when reviewers complained that the drivetrain was still ho-hum even after the release of the 2.4L engine that pretty much sealed its fate. The only thing that would've saved the Dart would've been a minor appearance refresh combined with a new selection of engines and transmisions with noticeably better performance, but it seems FCA had already given up on the car by 2014 and Sergio's announcement last January was little more than a formality. To me the on-again, off-again promises of Hurricane engines and SRT Darts was just FCA buying time and fooling competitors while they tried to make up their minds just how long they were going to keep making the Dart. I seriously doubt much money was actually being funneled into further Dart research & development once the car had reached the market and they could see it wasn't selling. It had served its purpose of giving them a 40+mpg vehicle that allowed Fiat to gain a majority share of Chrysler, and once that happened the Dart had outlived its usefulness. I still have a 2013 catalog showing a wealth of aftermarket goodies meant for Dart owners that never even made it to market, and when I realized how many cool features they had removed from the 2014 model I bought (no seat storage, lighted dash or USB port) I knew FCA was definitely not giving the Dart any more love.
      gilabear, dad's dart and horsey55 like this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Rallye 1974 Dart Sport
      Liked
      96 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I love my dart. I have been seeing more and more on the road everyday. The people I talk to really like it.
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye Redline Red
      Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Mopar Front Chin Lip Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Intake
      Carbon Fiber vinyl hood wrap, Matte black tail light blackout, Red foot well lights,
      Dodge Demon decals and Penstar emblems. TFT cluster upgrade.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2679 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Delta Dart View Post
      Correct. Sorry if my original post sounded confusing.

The Dart turned a lot of heads when it was first announced in 2012. My sister-in-law and her husband were among of the first buyers, having been attracted to it because of its sporty good looks. Unfortunately the car proved to be just a nice looker with a crappy drivetrain (1.4 DDCT) that refused to behave itself and made the driving experience less than enjoyable, and then the car was besieged by all manner of electrical bugs (trunk popping open by itself, CEL coming on all the time, etc). When the car got wrecked four months later they were actually glad to be rid of it and bought a Hyundai Elantra instead. I know they will never consider any FCA product again. It's losing customers like that which killed the Dart. Even after the bugs were mostly ironed out the Dart had already lost its chance to make a great first impression, and when reviewers complained that the drivetrain was still ho-hum even after the release of the 2.4L engine that pretty much sealed its fate. The only thing that would've saved the Dart would've been a minor appearance refresh combined with a new selection of engines and transmisions with noticeably better performance, but it seems FCA had already given up on the car by 2014 and Sergio's announcement last January was little more than a formality. To me the on-again, off-again promises of Hurricane engines and SRT Darts was just FCA buying time and fooling competitors while they tried to make up their minds just how long they were going to keep making the Dart. I seriously doubt much money was actually being funneled into further Dart research & development once the car had reached the market and they could see it wasn't selling. It had served its purpose of giving them a 40+mpg vehicle that allowed Fiat to gain a majority share of Chrysler, and once that happened the Dart had outlived its usefulness. I still have a 2013 catalog showing a wealth of aftermarket goodies meant for Dart owners that never even made it to market, and when I realized how many cool features they had removed from the 2014 model I bought (no seat storage, lighted dash or USB port) I knew FCA was definitely not giving the Dart any more love.
      Ditto.
      I owned one, I loved it, body style still is one of the really greats out there, but I also found myself drinking Fiat Kool-Aid when the first bugs cropped up. Even a crappy Chevy base Cobalt I had for over 25K miles never needed an electronic item replaced or reflashed and didn't "use" oil. But I can forgive a first year car. But the obvious cheap manual clutch assemblies were from hunger. When that started doing what the forum comments were mirroring, I bailed. Fast forward to the present day - Sergio (or who ever makes decisions) is (are) Bull Headed. I really hate to be biased and highly critical, but, the small Fiat lineup looks like odd toys. They are going to continue the Bull Head by sticking the 1.4 turbo into the friggin' Spider. The first really good looking contender that looks better than it's Mazda brother - but with a Multiair 1.4 that gave little love to the Dart History. Why would I want a 1.4T multiair oil eater when I could get a natural aspirated time proven flawless Miata engine? For the sake of a unique exhaust growl? Nope. and Nope.
      At the risk of needing to put on a protective flame suit, I will go as far as to say that the Multiair technology is one excuse piled on top of another as to why it is good, better, more efficient, and even worthy of being introduced into already great engines across the Chrysler lineup. This is an ignorant line of thought that has no real footing in reality. Regardless of the mindlessness that is coming to drivetrains across all manufacturers lines from here forward, I don't think there is much reasoning behind Fiat refusing to change their collective underwear and start fresh with something. Having to add oil to an engine in between oil changes does not save the consumer money and does no good for any environmental argument that the Multiair system is sold on.
      In closing, and this is my last words on the whole subject of Fiat, Multiair, and piss poor model choices moving forward, I will say that the Dart SHOULD HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED in the Dodge lineup. It looks great, it drives great (suspension) and it is head and shoulders above the new 200 in terms of curb appeal. Sorry, but the 200 revision just looks flat. Like a Hertz Rental Vanilla Sundae. The front looks squished and generic, the rear looks like it could use some kind of Laxative, and overall the interior looks like any typical Buick out there. Neat, Orderly,Clean, and dreadfully boring. The Dart says: "DRIVE ME!" Inside and out. So Sergio says let's keep the miserably failing small 500's that they can't even give away with outlandish rebates and incentives, and kill the Dart. Which if they'd of put a 300 hp capable engine into a sport version would have sold like the Dickens. Some people are in charge that are not only stupid, but also dumb. At the same time. And that's not a good thing.
      Oh yes friends in Dart Land..... what could have been. What could have been.
      Last edited by dad's dart; 06-18-2016 at 04:26 AM.
      horsey55 and SylenThunder like this.
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 SXT Rallye, 2.4, AT, Blue Streak Pearl
      Liked
      1411 times
      Mentioned
      35 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dad's dart View Post
      Sorry, but the 200 revision just looks flat. Like a Hertz Rental Vanilla Sundae.
      The 200 looks to me like an old person's car, in an Oldsmobile Aurora sort of way. You know, something meant to give 80 year-olds something that looks more stylish than a big square Lincoln Continental.
      dad's dart and pkgmsu2000 like this.

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Voting in 2020. Because
      Hindsight IS.

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Michelin Primacy's Former: Dart Turbo Man.
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob and Weathertech mats!
      Liked
      2679 times
      Mentioned
      106 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Delta Dart View Post
      The 200 looks to me like an old person's car, in an Oldsmobile Aurora sort of way. You know, something meant to give 80 year-olds something that looks more stylish than a big square Lincoln Continental.
      Priceless..... an Olds Aurora sort of way... you nailed it!
      ​Take Me To Your Leader

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1931 times
      Mentioned
      209 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      why would a dealership ever order a 2.4L dart that wasnt a GT?

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3879 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by pkgmsu2000 View Post
      why would a dealership ever order a 2.4L dart that wasnt a GT?
      Why would a dealer order a Dart at all? Seriously, my local dealer has a couple that they've had since October (both GTs, incidentally).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links