How easy/hard would it be to retrofit uconnect to support android auto?
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on How easy/hard would it be to retrofit uconnect to support android auto? within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; For very brief overview of what it is, go here The two biggest things I do with my current phone is use google play all ...

User Tag List

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      26 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

For very brief overview of what it is, go here

The two biggest things I do with my current phone is use google play all access music, and google maps. All through the headphone/aux into the car.

That big touchscreen goes mostly unused. I don't know if they need to add a lot of internal storage of a faster cpu, but it seems like the dart would already be wired for most of what is needed to support this.

we already have voice commands, why not attach them to something infinitely more developed and usable? We can use that screen to display google maps instead of the standard maps interface (or like me, I don't have the car nav at all so this would be used instead).

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing uconnect needs to tap into, for both android and iOS btw.

So how hard would it be to retrofit the dart to support this?

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited 2.0 auto
      Liked
      224 times
      Mentioned
      9 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I am perfectly happy with my Uconnect. I will say the Uconnect 2 system that is in my father's new Cherokee Limited has some more intergration with your phone so it's slowly coming. Uconnect is based on QNX which is a big reason as to why it is so fast and efficient compared to other systems out there. I believe Ford is dropping their Microsoft Sync system to go to QNX. I have my reservations about Android and what kind of resources will be need to pull of some of that- Kit Kat has improved things but Android has not been the most efficient mobile OS. The big cell companies like ATT and Verizon also do not offer unlimited data anymore which to me would hurt a system like this that relies on your phone's data.
      Last edited by dby2011; 06-26-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM LW pulley, EC CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, Rally Armors, Heartthrob exhaust
      Liked
      1950 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
      For very brief overview of what it is, go here

The two biggest things I do with my current phone is use google play all access music, and google maps. All through the headphone/aux into the car.

That big touchscreen goes mostly unused. I don't know if they need to add a lot of internal storage of a faster cpu, but it seems like the dart would already be wired for most of what is needed to support this.

we already have voice commands, why not attach them to something infinitely more developed and usable? We can use that screen to display google maps instead of the standard maps interface (or like me, I don't have the car nav at all so this would be used instead).

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing uconnect needs to tap into, for both android and iOS btw.

So how hard would it be to retrofit the dart to support this?
      I would imagine there being an issue with Garmin since the 8.4N units already integrate Garmin's Navigation into the car. If they used android auto then obviously there would be a conflict in interest. They probably have a contract with them, and wont be able to change until it's up. This being why Dodge hasn't joined the group to support it yet. I know you are askign to retrofit, which I think it would be a huge pain in the ass. All the voice controls and climate/volume control knobs are all going through the uconnect. Unless you can some how get the programming code for the uconnect system, and then rewrite it to support android auto, I think it might be near impossible. Cause then you have driver issues and all that. The steering wheel controls probably wouldnt work, the whole climate control buttons wouldn't work (or you could not see the status), because everything is made to run on uconnect. But idk maybe it is possible!
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Rallye 2.4L Black
      Liked
      5 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cntrollerfanboy View Post
      This being why Dodge hasn't joined the group to support it yet.
      Just to jump in here: im not sure if you saw any of the Google I/O stuff from yesterday, but it was announced during the Open Auto Alliance segment that FIAT Chrysler is a new member to the alliance, along with a number of other auto manufacturers. Open Automotive Alliance

But to answer OP: Android can practically run on ANY hardware (quite a few proof of concepts out there, including Raspberry Pi systems) so i think a retro fit may not be entirely necessary. If the architecture is built to support the vehicle control functions correctly, the rest (interfacing with touchscreen, etc) could be as simple as a flash of new firmware.

Again, this is all theory going by my experiences with Android in a mobile setting, dev setting, and experimenting with Raspberry Pi.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM LW pulley, EC CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, Rally Armors, Heartthrob exhaust
      Liked
      1950 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Elegy View Post
      Just to jump in here: im not sure if you saw any of the Google I/O stuff from yesterday, but it was announced during the Open Auto Alliance segment that FIAT Chrysler is a new member to the alliance, along with a number of other auto manufacturers. Open Automotive Alliance

But to answer OP: Android can practically run on ANY hardware (quite a few proof of concepts out there, including Raspberry Pi systems) so i think a retro fit may not be entirely necessary. If the architecture is built to support the vehicle control functions correctly, the rest (interfacing with touchscreen, etc) could be as simple as a flash of new firmware.

Again, this is all theory going by my experiences with Android in a mobile setting, dev setting, and experimenting with Raspberry Pi.
      Awesome i didn't know Chrysler was on that list! I retract my statement then. lol But yeah there would more than likely be an issue with the controls. And hey Elegy you're also from Ohio! Are you on the darts of ohio facebook page by any chance?
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dart GT Pitch Black 2.4L / 6AT
      Liked
      47 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      It depends on how it gets implemented in the dart. My guess is that they will use all new hardware, and it probably won't be included until the dart gets its refresh in a couple years.

At the very least, i'd say you'd be replacing the radio to get it in current darts, and if the new version physically doesn't fit into older cars, we may be out of luck altogether. I doubt we will be able to just flash new software to install it.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited Special Edition Blue Streak Peal 1.4T 6MT
      Mods
      Bunch o' shit...
      Liked
      4124 times
      Mentioned
      534 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      I'll pass, I don't want the risk of my car being hacked from being easily accessible from wifi, 4G connectivity, and having someone develope an Android based program to hack the systems and take the car over.
      Ordered 1/10/13
      Took Delivery 03/30/13

2013 Dodge Dart Limited Special Edition. 1 OF ONLY 48
      1.4T 6MT
      Modifications: Click here for my build thread.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dart GT Pitch Black 2.4L / 6AT
      Liked
      47 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by starscream5000 View Post
      I'll pass, I don't want the risk of my car being hacked from being easily accessible from wifi, 4G connectivity, and having someone develope an Android based program to hack the systems and take the car over.
      OK Mr. Tinfoil hat... the worst they'd be able to do is redirect your GPS to instruct you to drive into a lake or something.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited Pitch Black Engine: 1.4 Multi Air Turbo Transmission: 6-Spd DDCT
      Mods
      K&N Typhoon CAI (69-2548TS) Mopar Slush Mats (82213076) Genuine Dodge Door Sill Guards (82213078)
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I know I am late to the party on the thread, but I was thinking about this the other day as well.

I have to believe that a retrofit to the current uconnect system would be as simple as Dodge creating a retrofit firmware that can be installed via the USB port.
      As for as the Garmin, and uconnect currently installed, I am sure they have already been paid for their services upon the purchase of our car. It would not be any different then you buying an aftermarket head unit.

That being said, the only thing that I can think would really be a problem would be the climate control and heated seats and wheel control on the screen.
      I would be able to live without this as there are manual buttons to do all of these functions right below the LCD anyway.
      The storage on the head unit needs to currently be about 60-80gb already due to the garmin software and all the other crap.
      If a developer can get the specs and drivers for the current head unit they should easily be able to design a retrofit installer to replace the current software with Android L which will have Android Auto.

I hope Dodge and other auto makers are smart enough to think of this as it would go a long way toward customer retention IMO.

Sponsored Links