Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT??
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT?? within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Greetings Everyone? While browsing thru my storage shed I came across a pair of 4" 3way speakers new in the box that I had bought ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT??

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart SXT with Rallye package Pure Black. 2.0L 6sp Auto.
      Mods
      Full exterior LED lighting Red LED interior lighting
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Greetings Everyone?

While browsing thru my storage shed I came across a pair of 4" 3way speakers new in the box that I had bought many years ago and never used.
      My SXT has the Uconnect 8.4 (no nav or satellite) with the standard 6 speaker setup.
      I'm wondering how difficult it would be to connect these speakers to the existing wiring.
      Does anyone know if the factory wiring includes speaker hookups in the trunk somewhere (would exist for the 9 speaker alpine system) that I could hook into for mounting to the rear deck?
      I've read elsewhere in the forums that people adding amps have used the wiring in the back doors.
      Also these speakers are 4 ohm resistance. Does anyone know if 4 ohm speakers can be safely used with the standard Uconnect sound system or are the other factory speakers a difference resistance (8 ohms)??
      Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited Special Edition Blue Streak Peal 1.4T 6MT
      Mods
      Bunch o' shit...
      Liked
      4124 times
      Mentioned
      534 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      I don't know about the wiring harness part, but the stock speakers are also 4ohms.
      3rdof5 likes this.
      Ordered 1/10/13
      Took Delivery 03/30/13

2013 Dodge Dart Limited Special Edition. 1 OF ONLY 48
      1.4T 6MT
      Modifications: Click here for my build thread.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thank you for that valuable info starscream5000! That elimates one issue. Now its simply a wiring decision. If I must access the speaker wiring in the back doors then that will also give me the opportunity to add some accent lighting to my rear interior.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is a 300hp target!!!

Vehicle
      Bright White RALLYE Turbo/DDCT. 8.4" NAV&UConnect. Black/Ruby Interior. Premium Sound. Convenience P
      Mods
      Injen CAI. MPx Pulley Kit. 2.5" Straightpipe. RACETRACK LEDs. Andros specD wheels. Ultra-hi perf. Ha
      Liked
      382 times
      Mentioned
      23 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      My Sub and Amp was tapped into my rear drivers side door.
      3rdof5 likes this.

2013 Dart Rallye Multiair Turbo 1.4L
      - Slowly burning a hole in the wallet
      MODs;
      Red LED interior + L. Plate & LED Grill,,
      2.25"-2.5" Straight piped,
      Painted Vents/Shifter Bezel,
      Painted Calipers/Rotors,
      Injen CAI,
      INJEN Intercooler pipes,
      MpX Pulley-Kit,
      Ceramic Brakes,
      12" MTX Sub,
      6,000K & 8,000K HIDs
      18" Andros Spec D Wheels;225/40R18 Hankook Evos Lots more & more to come...
      Ontario:
      - LX & DART Fall Cruise Photo Thread https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/cana...ad-2013-a.html
      - Southern Ontario Track Days https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/cana...rack-days.html
      - Walk Around of my Dart & Exhaust Clip https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodg...p-my-dart.html

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      '79 Mazda RX-7 GS Ordered '13 Dart April 20, 2013. Bright silver SXT with SXT special edition packa
      Mods
      None on the Dart, couple small engine performance mods on the old RX-7.
      Liked
      87 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      From the reading I have done, the amp for the 6 speaker setup is not the same as the Alpine system. As such, it only has 6 outputs instead of the 10 the Alpine system has. Basically, even if the wiring is present, it won't be hooked up to anything on either end. I would suggest adding an amp, about 100 watts would be plenty, using a line level converter hooked up to the rear door speakers. A 100 watt amp can be powered easily enough from a 14 AWG power wire. Conveniently, there is actually already a wire run from the engine bay to the trunk for the trailer wiring package and I believe its 14 AWG, might possibly be 12 AWG even.

It could be that all of this is irrelevant though since the stock Alpine's meant to mount there are a 3.5" speaker, not 4". I have seen some 3.5" speakers that require the same size hole as some 4" speakers though, so its possible yours will still fit. If not, you might have to trim the holes a bit, if you want to.

Another thing to add. I'm not sure how much you know about speakers and amps, but I'm throwing this out there so nobody fries their stock amp trying to add speakers. An amp is usually designed to work within a specific impedance range. The speakers are usually matched to the lower end of this range. For car audio, this is usually 4 ohms for all aftermarket systems and more recent stock systems. Home audio is usually 8 ohms. I won't get into why there is a difference here. An interesting thing happens though when you start to add speakers to the same output of an amp. For example, a single cone stock speaker works at an impedance of 4 ohms. The amp is happy with this as it was designed to work with this. If you add a second speaker to the same output, say a 4 ohm speaker, the impedance will do one of two things based on how you wire it.

Option A is to wire it in parallel. The two 4 ohm speakers will be seen to the amp as having a single impedance of only 2 ohms. This is very bad for an amp not designed to run at 2 ohms. Less resistance (impedance in this case) means more current going to the speakers. More current being produced by the amp means more heat. Heat is the death of any electronic item. This setup will work for a short time, but will slowly fry some of the internals.

Option B is to wire it in series. The two 4 ohm speakers will be seen to the amp as having a single impedance of 8 ohms now. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you like your music to have a bit of volume to it. Doubling the impedance will have the effect of roughly halving the power the amp is capable of driving to the speakers, making them approximately half as loud. This likely won't damage the amp if you don't exceed the original power input, but trying to drive the amp too hard to achieve the same volume level as before will damage it.
      Last edited by led86; 11-18-2013 at 09:41 PM.
      3rdof5 and Varmin like this.

2013 Dodge Dart SXT "Darla"
      1.4L Turbo 6 speed manual
      SXT Special Edition Package
      8.4 uconnect touch
      9 speaker Alpine
      Sat Radio
      Sunroof

Other Car:
      1979 Mazda RX-7 GS "Roxanne"
      12a Wankel Rotary engine, 4bbl Nikki carb
      Custom exhaust
      152xxx km original paint and interior in excellent shape

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Led86 your input is invaluable, thank you very much.
      I do understand how impedance works and I was thinking of (obviously the easiest) adding and wiring the new speakers in parallel but was concerned about the effect on the stock amp.
      I also agree with your prediction on the factory wiring (if it exists) not being connected to anything at the amp.
      You are also correct on the factory speaker holes in the rear deck and i've checked and my speakers will fit perfectly.
      So I've been thinking now of adding an amp. You say there's a wire for the trailer connector? Where do I look exactly to connect? What color?
      What I wouldn't give for a full schematic of the dart!
      In any case, obviously I will have to access the wiring in the back doors.
      Any advice on the easiest way to safely disassemble the rear door panels?
      Regards to All.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Redline Dodge Dart Rallye 2.0 Auto
      Mods
      Fully functioning race track lights
      Liked
      317 times
      Mentioned
      97 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by 3rdof5 View Post
      Led86 your input is invaluable, thank you very much. I do understand how impedance works and I was thinking of (obviously the easiest) adding and wiring the new speakers in parallel but was concerned about the effect on the stock amp. I also agree with your prediction on the factory wiring (if it exists) not being connected to anything at the amp. You are also correct on the factory speaker holes in the rear deck and i've checked and my speakers will fit perfectly. So I've been thinking now of adding an amp. You say there's a wire for the trailer connector? Where do I look exactly to connect? What color? What I wouldn't give for a full schematic of the dart! In any case, obviously I will have to access the wiring in the back doors. Any advice on the easiest way to safely disassemble the rear door panels? Regards to All.
      Here is a link to get the wiring schematic

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Thank you RedDragon. I had tried that link from other discussions in this forum and it has always said "no results found" after I entered my vehicle info, but this link works perfectly!
      On a side note, the wiring diagram for the mirrors is very interesting. Dodge had told me Heated mirrors cannot be added to the SXT as the car's electronics do not support it.
      However, as I suspected, the rear window defrost and heated mirrors use the same circuit and control relay from the BCM. Only difference is with heated mirrors there is an extra fuse (10 amp) in the PDC under the hood.
      I will investigate this further by seeing if I can add the 10 amp fuse and then check to see if power is available at pin 10 at the mirror electrical connectors with the rear defroster turned on.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      '79 Mazda RX-7 GS Ordered '13 Dart April 20, 2013. Bright silver SXT with SXT special edition packa
      Mods
      None on the Dart, couple small engine performance mods on the old RX-7.
      Liked
      87 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by 3rdof5 View Post
      Thank you RedDragon. I had tried that link from other discussions in this forum and it has always said "no results found" after I entered my vehicle info, but this link works perfectly!
      On a side note, the wiring diagram for the mirrors is very interesting. Dodge had told me Heated mirrors cannot be added to the SXT as the car's electronics do not support it.
      However, as I suspected, the rear window defrost and heated mirrors use the same circuit and control relay from the BCM. Only difference is with heated mirrors there is an extra fuse (10 amp) in the PDC under the hood.
      I will investigate this further by seeing if I can add the 10 amp fuse and then check to see if power is available at pin 10 at the mirror electrical connectors with the rear defroster turned on.
      Hey did you manage to get the wiring figured out for an amp? If needed I can dig out the instructions from the trailer wiring kit I have and scan it in.

2013 Dodge Dart SXT "Darla"
      1.4L Turbo 6 speed manual
      SXT Special Edition Package
      8.4 uconnect touch
      9 speaker Alpine
      Sat Radio
      Sunroof

Other Car:
      1979 Mazda RX-7 GS "Roxanne"
      12a Wankel Rotary engine, 4bbl Nikki carb
      Custom exhaust
      152xxx km original paint and interior in excellent shape

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      No I haven't even been in the trunk as its minus 30 degress Celsius here. But I would appreciate a scan of your trailer wiring schematic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links