Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT?? - Page 2
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT??

This is a discussion on Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT?? within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Originally Posted by led86 From the reading I have done, the amp for the 6 speaker setup is not the same as the Alpine system. ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Adding speakers to the rear deck of an SXT??

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart SXT six speed manual 1.4 turbo
      Mods
      15% tint rear doors back full Injen CAI Thermal R&D exhaust + B pipe
      Liked
      8 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by led86 View Post
      From the reading I have done, the amp for the 6 speaker setup is not the same as the Alpine system. As such, it only has 6 outputs instead of the 10 the Alpine system has. Basically, even if the wiring is present, it won't be hooked up to anything on either end. I would suggest adding an amp, about 100 watts would be plenty, using a line level converter hooked up to the rear door speakers. A 100 watt amp can be powered easily enough from a 14 AWG power wire. Conveniently, there is actually already a wire run from the engine bay to the trunk for the trailer wiring package and I believe its 14 AWG, might possibly be 12 AWG even.

It could be that all of this is irrelevant though since the stock Alpine's meant to mount there are a 3.5" speaker, not 4". I have seen some 3.5" speakers that require the same size hole as some 4" speakers though, so its possible yours will still fit. If not, you might have to trim the holes a bit, if you want to.

Another thing to add. I'm not sure how much you know about speakers and amps, but I'm throwing this out there so nobody fries their stock amp trying to add speakers. An amp is usually designed to work within a specific impedance range. The speakers are usually matched to the lower end of this range. For car audio, this is usually 4 ohms for all aftermarket systems and more recent stock systems. Home audio is usually 8 ohms. I won't get into why there is a difference here. An interesting thing happens though when you start to add speakers to the same output of an amp. For example, a single cone stock speaker works at an impedance of 4 ohms. The amp is happy with this as it was designed to work with this. If you add a second speaker to the same output, say a 4 ohm speaker, the impedance will do one of two things based on how you wire it.

Option A is to wire it in parallel. The two 4 ohm speakers will be seen to the amp as having a single impedance of only 2 ohms. This is very bad for an amp not designed to run at 2 ohms. Less resistance (impedance in this case) means more current going to the speakers. More current being produced by the amp means more heat. Heat is the death of any electronic item. This setup will work for a short time, but will slowly fry some of the internals.

Option B is to wire it in series. The two 4 ohm speakers will be seen to the amp as having a single impedance of 8 ohms now. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you like your music to have a bit of volume to it. Doubling the impedance will have the effect of roughly halving the power the amp is capable of driving to the speakers, making them approximately half as loud. This likely won't damage the amp if you don't exceed the original power input, but trying to drive the amp too hard to achieve the same volume level as before will damage it.
      can u explain why i cant tap the back speaker wires for the back dash i read ur post and it kind of makes sense to me but looking at the wiring diagram for the front speakers the front door speakers look to be tapped into the dash speakers im confused could u please hel clarify

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Race Mechanic

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart 2.0l Auto. Pitch Black, Black Rallye Int. Rallye package. 1952 Chrysler New Yorker
      Mods
      A few and more in the werks.
      Liked
      122 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      PS Please use the reputation system if you appreciate my effort of providing you valuable knowledge (star button at bottom left of post ) Thanks DartBB
      2013 Rallye 2.0l Auto Pitch Black ;1952 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr
      Work: Fleet Mechanic for Adams Excavation. Equipment; Dodge Trucks, Hitachi Excavators, Mack Dump Trucks, John Deere, Stihl ...etc
      Automobile Mechanic, Heavy Equipment Mechanic, Mechanical Engineering, Fleet Management

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      '79 Mazda RX-7 GS Ordered '13 Dart April 20, 2013. Bright silver SXT with SXT special edition packa
      Mods
      None on the Dart, couple small engine performance mods on the old RX-7.
      Liked
      87 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
      can u explain why i cant tap the back speaker wires for the back dash i read ur post and it kind of makes sense to me but looking at the wiring diagram for the front speakers the front door speakers look to be tapped into the dash speakers im confused could u please hel clarify
      This has to do with electrical load. Lower speaker impedance (in simple terms can be thought of as resistance) means more current for the same voltage. Voltage output from the amp will remain constant for a given volume level but the amperage will be higher for a 4 ohm resistance vs an 8 ohm resistance. So, lets say all the stock speakers are 4 ohms. That means if the amp is putting out 10 volts for a given volume level, the speaker will essentially be drawing 2.5 amps. If we reduce the resistance to 2 ohms at the same volume level, the speaker will be drawing 5 amps. Going the other way, if we increase resistance to 8 ohms, the speaker will be drawing 1.25 amps.

This is all important because the amplifier is not capable to supply more than a certain amount of amperage, based on the components used. On a 4 ohm speaker, the amplifier will be fine at say the 10 volt output, but when you connect two 4 ohm speakers in parallel (for a 2 ohm load as explained before) the amplifier will be putting out the same 10 volts but a much higher amperage which could be beyond the limitations of the amplifier, but the sound won't be twice as loud (harder to explain this and I don't fully understand the mechanics behind this part of it).

To answer the question about why the Dash speakers are able to be connected to the door speakers, the designers of the system have probably been very careful to maintain a reasonable resistance that allows the amplifier to work within its limits. The door speakers are likely the same for all versions of the Dart, but the dash speakers will not be the same 4 ohm resistance as connecting these in series or parallel will result in either a blown amplifier at loud volume or subpar performance of the speakers. The designers would have to choose speakers that are a higher impedance for the dash likely to get a resulting overall impedance from the door and dash speaker pair that is compatible with the amplifier.

The other possibility is that the amplifier has actually been designed differently for the 6 speaker systems vs the 4 speaker to allow for a lower, or higher, impedance. I would see this as unlikely though as it would be more expensive than just having the dash speakers custom made to meet the performance specs of the amplifier.

With all this in mind, I am making the assumption that someone were to use off the shelf aftermarket speakers in the rear deck. I would suspect that one could just put a couple of Dart dash speakers in the rear deck with them spliced into the rear doors, which would work if the amplifier is in fact the same for both 4 and 6 speaker systems.

2013 Dodge Dart SXT "Darla"
      1.4L Turbo 6 speed manual
      SXT Special Edition Package
      8.4 uconnect touch
      9 speaker Alpine
      Sat Radio
      Sunroof

Other Car:
      1979 Mazda RX-7 GS "Roxanne"
      12a Wankel Rotary engine, 4bbl Nikki carb
      Custom exhaust
      152xxx km original paint and interior in excellent shape

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is at 30,100 trouble free miles
      on dart #2 and 43,000 trouble
      free miles on dart #1

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Limited Redline Red Pearl 1.4 Turbo MultiAir 6 speed Manual Leather Racetrack lights
      Mods
      none yet.. care to recommend a few?
      Liked
      18 times
      Mentioned
      75 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I am very interested in the heated mirror thing. Let me know if that works out.. I do not have heated side mirrors and would really like to have them.
      RDWNUR likes this.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart SXT with Rallye package Pure Black. 2.0L 6sp Auto.
      Mods
      Full exterior LED lighting Red LED interior lighting
      Liked
      1 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I completely agree with led86 on his assessment of the darts design and probable dash speakers in the reardeck in parrelel with the rear door speakers. Excellent post.
      On the mirror question, I'm very curious as well and I really want open up my driver front door (properly and damage free) to test my suspicions that all the circuitry exists to simply replace and plug in new heated mirrors with the led turn signal and courtesy puddle leds. Im waiting until I've decided exactly which accent lighting I want to add to my interior door panels to dissaemble the door and test the wiring. Will definitely let you all know my results.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Darting around

Vehicle
      2013 Rallye 1.4T, DDCT, Silver on blk/red
      Mods
      255 RE11s on 18" GTs, Eibach Pro, 19mm sway, Unichip, RRM pulley, DRP dump, GFB DV, TFT
      Liked
      118 times
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by E7mack96 View Post
      I am very interested in the heated mirror thing. Let me know if that works out.. I do not have heated side mirrors and would really like to have them.
      Ditto. =)
      Ready When You Are

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is d'Artagnan

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart Limited
      Liked
      804 times
      Mentioned
      95 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      how hard to swap mirrors?
      2013 Dodge Dart LIMITED \\\ 2.0 6 speed auto \\\ Injen cold air intake \\\ Heartthrob cat back exhaust \\\ RRM light weight pulley \\\ Eibach lowering springs \\\ Deyeme Racing 10mm spacers \\\ Xenon Supply 4300k HID kit \\\ Eibach 19mm Rear sway bar \\\ Deyeme Racing firm rear mount \\\ BWoody Performance Sway Bar links

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is STILL loving my Dart

Vehicle
      2013 Dart 1.4T 6spd Bright White Rallye*8.4 w/NAV*Alpine system*Moonroof*RTT*Black & Red interior*
      Mods
      3" DRP SRI*35% front 3% rear tint*PAINTED stripe*Dodge splash guards painted*Muffler delete*
      Liked
      631 times
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by MADE IN USSR View Post
      how hard to swap mirrors?
      I've done the swap. It is simple. 3 bolts and the electrical connection per mirror. The puddle lamps and heat are plug and play. The blinkers however need a wire added to work. (I'll be looking into this more come spring, as I'm in Michigan and don't have a garage to pull my door panels off in...)
      Any other questions please see the thread "adding heated mirrors" (sorry, not sure how to link it from the phone app...)

"Yesterday don't mean shit, cause tomorrow's the day that you have to face!"
      "I question things because I am human"

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I am going to attempt this very soon I plan to line in to a 4 channel amp bridge two channels to a sub and use the other two for the rear deck. I have no diagrams or instructions so I am going rogue on this one.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      734 times
      Mentioned
      130 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Name:  audiobaseschematic.jpg
Views: 20