uConnect Radio Limitations? - Page 5
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook

uConnect Radio Limitations?

This is a discussion on uConnect Radio Limitations? within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; So has anyone figured out a way around the file number limitations when using sub thumb drives? I feel like I just wasted my money ...

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Like Tree15Likes

Thread: uConnect Radio Limitations?

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      16 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      So has anyone figured out a way around the file number limitations when using sub thumb drives? I feel like I just wasted my money on a 128gig thumb drive for my music collection (currently about 80 gigs). We shouldn't have to plug down hundreds of dollars for iPod classics to have access to a big music collection.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      16 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Has anyone figured out a workaround for the file number limitations when using usb thumb drives yet?
      Last edited by d'Artagnan; 12-13-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is STILL loving my Dart

Vehicle
      2013 Dart 1.4T 6spd Bright White Rallye*8.4 w/NAV*Alpine system*Moonroof*RTT*Black & Red interior*
      Mods
      3" DRP SRI*35% front 3% rear tint*PAINTED stripe*Dodge splash guards painted*Muffler delete*
      Liked
      631 times
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Format the drive in FAT32. You'll have to dl a special program to to do so for larger drives like you have, but it can be done. I'll try to remember to post back tomorrow once I get back to my computer and let you know which one I used...

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using DodgeDart
      "I question things because I am human"

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Tungsten SXT Special Edition
      Mods
      Dark Tinted Windows (all 5) Carbon Fiber Stripes
      Liked
      29 times
      Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Are you using Windows or Mac?
      Formatting the drive should be the easy part.
      2013 DODGE DART SXT SPECIAL EDITION

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      16 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
      Format the drive in FAT32. You'll have to dl a special program to to do so for larger drives like you have, but it can be done. I'll try to remember to post back tomorrow once I get back to my computer and let you know which one I used...

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using DodgeDart
      Cool, thanks. Can I assume the drive was not formatted fat32 when I bought it? it's a Sansdisk Cruse type.

Using a PC here.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is STILL loving my Dart

Vehicle
      2013 Dart 1.4T 6spd Bright White Rallye*8.4 w/NAV*Alpine system*Moonroof*RTT*Black & Red interior*
      Mods
      3" DRP SRI*35% front 3% rear tint*PAINTED stripe*Dodge splash guards painted*Muffler delete*
      Liked
      631 times
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by d'Artagnan View Post
      Cool, thanks. Can I assume the drive was not formatted fat32 when I bought it? it's a Sansdisk Cruse type.

Using a PC here.
      As far as I know anything bigger than 32 gig can not be formatted into FAT32 by Windows doing a standard format. I used a program called "guiformat" to do mine. I can't remember where I got it from, but a quick Google search should find a downloadable version for you...
      "I question things because I am human"

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      16 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
      As far as I know anything bigger than 32 gig can not be formatted into FAT32 by Windows doing a standard format. I used a program called "guiformat" to do mine. I can't remember where I got it from, but a quick Google search should find a downloadable version for you...
      Ok, will search for it. You really think once I do it I should be able to have my whole music collection? It's like 15,000 songs in folders by artist/album.

I did right click on properties of the drive using my Windows XP machine and it says the drive is FAT32 (see picture)

UConnect says on the drive there are 7981 songs but I have at least twice that many.
      Last edited by d'Artagnan; 12-15-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      34 times
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      There a hard-limit of 10k tracks. Chrysler/UConnect doesn't think you should need more than that many.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      16 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by d'Artagnan View Post
      Ok, will search for it. You really think once I do it I should be able to have my whole music collection? It's like 15,000 songs in folders by artist/album.

I did right click on properties of the drive using my Windows XP machine and it says the drive is FAT32 (see picture)

UConnect says on the drive there are 7981 songs but I have at least twice that many.
      As of right now I am getting 7898 tracks showing up so nowhere close to 10k which is STILL 5k short of my music collection. Does anyone have a pipeline to the Uconnect developers? I think we need to spearhead a campaign to get these restrictions lifted or at the very least expanded. Again, if I had a 160gig iPod classic it would have no problem with all 160gigs so why shouldn't I be able to use all 128gigs of my thumb drive.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart, Limited
      Liked
      5 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Harmon20 View Post
      Just out of curiosity, how many total folders is that music contained in?
      Sorry if this thread's a bit old, but it was coming up higher on the search list for "Uconnect won't read all files on SD Card" - and clearly, I'm not the only one who has this issue...

You were 100% right - it's 1024 folders *total* on the SD Card, regardless of the size of the folders. I haven't seen a limit per folder; but I don't think I have any folder with over 1024 files in it. I know another post I ran across on the Jeep forums - someone mentioned they had success just dumping ALL the files into a single folder, but that's just too messy for me, personally.

Yeah, I was seeing the same types of issues - I'd get 5300 files, manipulate/delete some folders and then 6300, did more deleting - 7300... So why was I reading more files when I deleted folders? Well - in the end, I am guessing the folders that were sorting first were a lot of classical, blues, and country - a lot of which, I just have a single song from various artists. The folders further in the chain - pop, rock.. had more songs in the same folder by the same artist.

I'm using a 64GB SDXC card - formatted Fat32; it was't an overall size problem as I had over 48GB it was reading.. so only a few GB it wasn't reading.

Tried a fresh format and all of that - didn't help.
      But then I got a bit more curious and started to try different things, the most recent of which - I wrote a little powershell script that created 2048 folders; each one having the smallest MP3 I had - 1.77 MB

Since each folder had a single MP3 in it, it would be easy to determine from the initial scan how many folders it was able to read... and it turned out to be exactly 1023; I assume the 'root' folder from the UConnect's OS perspective would make it a total of 1024 folders.

Name:  IMG_0337.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  1.76 MB

I'll be able to confirm that it can read all 9600 or so of the files I want to put on there, as soon as they finish re-copying to the SD card, I decided to write yet another little script that would take any folder with a 'single' song in it (one hit wonders, etc) - and move it to the root of the folder. That put me at 821 folders.

Since I organize >> Major Genre\Artists\Songs - it was easy. If I was trying to organize using Albums, it would have been much harder.

Also - there's an app called "Media Monkey" - that's excellent for sorting music and re-organizing the file system using MP3 tags. I have no relationship with the company, it just saved me SO much time, I would recommend it, lol.
      Last edited by Overcast; 06-21-2015 at 09:43 AM.
      SylenThunder likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links