Key Fob not working after replacing battery
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Key Fob not working after replacing battery within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Good evening, I replaced the battery in my 2013 Dart's key fob earlier today and understand that I need to relearn the key to the ...

User Tag List

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Good evening, I replaced the battery in my 2013 Dart's key fob earlier today and understand that I need to relearn the key to the vehicle, but I could not find out how to go about doing that. Do note that I have the non-keyless entry key fob ( the one where you stick the key fob into the dash and turn it) and NOT the keyless entry keyfob that has the push button start. Any help is appreciated!

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      774 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Replacing the battery in the fob should not make it need reprogramming the fob. What was it doing before you replaced the battery in the fob? Do the doors and trunk unlock or is just the ignition that is not letting it start. Does the engine crank? If not, it could be the battery under the hood.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      Replacing the battery in the fob should not make it need reprogramming the fob. What was it doing before you replaced the battery in the fob? Do the doors and trunk unlock or is just the ignition that is not letting it start. Does the engine crank? If not, it could be the battery under the hood.
      They key fob was simply becoming weak to operate. The vehicle still operates but the alarm goes off when I open the door and turns off when I put the key in the ignition. This happens all the time, infarct I just did it to my Porsche where I replaced the battery then had to go through a quick process involving the keyfob and the ignition to re sync the key with the vehicle. My only issue is I don't know the process for the Dodge Dart. Also note, this is not reprogramming as that involves a durametric tool, this is simply re syncing the key fob.

I found one tutorial for a 2010 Dodge that i believe utilizes the same ignition system/key fob and here it is:
      1) Insert key, dont turn it on
      2) Hold down door unlock switch on the door panel, do not release
      3) Turn key on and then off two times (to on position, not starting)
      4) Stop pressing the door unlock switch on the panel
      5) Remove the key and press both lock and unlock button at the same time on the key fob and continue holding for 15 seconds until you hear the door lock then unlock

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      774 times
      Mentioned
      135 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The Dart shares nothing with a Porsche, you are overthinking this. There is no such procedure for a Dart. You likely have a failing RFHM (radio frequency hub module). It's located under the top of the rear seat back trim. Not sure if alfaOBD will work with replacing the RFHM. You would need the four digit PIN and possibly a rolling PIN that only a dealer can get.

From the FSM:
      08 - Electrical / 8E - Electronic Control Modules / MODULE, Radio Frequency (RF Hub) / Module Programming

PROGRAMMING THE RF-HUB

NOTE:
      If a BCM is also going to be replaced at this time, check the "RF-HUB, BCM, FOBIK REPLACEMENT AND PROGRAMMING ORDER GUIDE" before proceeding. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules - Standard Procedure) .

NOTE:
      Do not put a laptop or any wireless device (cell phones, audio devices etc.) near the top of the center console (the RKE antenna is located below the center console).

1.After the RF-Hub has been replaced with new unit, connect the diagnostic scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).

2.Navigate to the RF-Hub (RFH) in the "Vehicle View" of the diagnostic scan tool.

3.With the scan tool select “RF-Hub” and perform the “RF-HUB Replace” routine.

NOTE:
      This procedure will require you to log into DealerCONNECT and enter a PIN when requested. The PIN is temporary and will be active for 12 hours. After 12 hours, a new PIN will need to be obtained from DealerCONNECT.

4.Select “Misc. Function” and perform the “PROXI Configuration Alignment” routine.

5.Put all the FOBiKs used in this vehicle on the front seat away from the console.

6.With the scan tool select: "Program ignition FOBIKs" in the Miscellaneous Functions menu and follow the instructions on the screen.

NOTE:
      When programming a FOBIK, have it in your hand resting on the console.

NOTE:
      When you are instructed to "Press the Unlock button" it is important that you do not hold the button. Press it One time quickly.

NOTE: This procedure will require you to log into DealerCONNECT and enter a PIN when requested. The PIN is temporary and will be active for 12 hours. After 12 hours, a new PIN will need to be obtained from DealerCONNECT.

7.After all the FOBIKs have been programmed, turn the ignition on and with the scan tool select “BCM”.

8.Update the Front and Rear Axle Normal Tire Pressure Values.

9.Program the Tire Sensor IDs.

10. Turn the ignition to the OFF position, wait 30 seconds, then cycle the ignition back to the ON/RUN position.

11.Check for any active RF-Hub DTCs. If any are present, go to Section 28 and perform the appropriate procedure.

12.Turn the ignition off and check each FOBiK for proper operation.

13.Finish the installation procedure (if necessary). (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Radio Frequency (RF Hub) - Installation).

14.Perform the BODY VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) - Standard Procedure).

If you check the alfaOBD thread on the RAM forum, people have been able to replace the RFHM using just the 4 digit PIN and alfaOBD. Not sure if it would work with the Dart. Check out the PIN puller app they mention if you don't want to go to a dealer to get the PIN.
      https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 05-10-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added info
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Sponsored Links