Flashing Odometer and error code U1040 - Page 3
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Flashing Odometer and error code U1040

This is a discussion on Flashing Odometer and error code U1040 within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; I ha e a question about this. I could see doing the proxi if it was just the flashing odometer.. but with the check engine ...

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Flashing Odometer and error code U1040

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is keeping it going

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye (Midnight) 2.0L tigershark
      Mods
      blacked emblems | nightshade tail lights | nakamoto brakes | powder coated rims
      Liked
      8 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I ha e a question about this. I could see doing the proxi if it was just the flashing odometer.. but with the check engine light code as well would that mean there is an issue with the bcm anyways?
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.0L

• New (used) Bluetooth Module
      • Blacked out Badges and Fog Light Housing
      • Nightshade Tail-lights
      • Nakamoto Performance Brakes
      • Spectre Cold Air Intake
      • Powder Coated Wheels (coming soon)
      • Custom "RALLYE" Off Centered vinyl
      • Cross Hair Grill Delete/ Mesh Grill Insert (coming soon)

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      748 times
      Mentioned
      132 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Anytime you do an upgrade like fog lights, the bcm needs a PROXI or the upgrade will not work. The flashing odometer means the bcm detected a change from it's original configuration. Usually a PROXI fixes that. Your BCM isn't happy after a PROXI. Hence the code.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is keeping it going

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      8 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      awesome. may try to get the thing for my phone and do the same thing then. if that gets rid of that code ill be overly happy

• Nightshade Tail-lights

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 True Blue Pearl Dodge Dart, 2.0 Special Edition SXT with Alpine Audio Package
      Mods
      Rear Spoiler, Lug Nut Conversion, LED Headlights
      Liked
      2 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Ok! So good news! I had read somewhere that when you clear codes with alfaobd, you have to do it a certain way... turn the key to mar and clear the code, then take out the key, lock the doors, and wait a little while . I had tried that this morning and I have no more flashing odometer 😁 but my speakers are still messed up... I performed another proxy alignment, and did it the same way. Car was running why I did the proxy, then took out the key and locked the doors. I will see tomorrow morning if that fixes anything... but no more flashing odometer is a start 😊
      Last edited by LuciliaePrincess; 03-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is keeping it going

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      8 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      im getting my obdlink mx tomorrow and im hoping after i do the alignment everything works perfectly. i want to get the odometer to stop flashing as soon as i can haha. and it will help out for later on because i want to try to get the tft gauge upgrade. does anyone know if i will have turn by turn since my car came with nav?

• Nightshade Tail-lights

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 True Blue Pearl Dodge Dart, 2.0 Special Edition SXT with Alpine Audio Package
      Mods
      Rear Spoiler, Lug Nut Conversion, LED Headlights
      Liked
      2 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Archangel3297 View Post
      im getting my obdlink mx tomorrow and im hoping after i do the alignment everything works perfectly. i want to get the odometer to stop flashing as soon as i can haha. and it will help out for later on because i want to try to get the tft gauge upgrade. does anyone know if i will have turn by turn since my car came with nav?
      What code are you getting? Mine is giving me such a headache 😫

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is keeping it going

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      8 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The same code. U1040 if I'm not mistaken. Lost co tact with bcm. Going to check it here soon. Bout to get my daughter down for a nap and will give me some time to check it all out

• Nightshade Tail-lights

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      748 times
      Mentioned
      132 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      U0140 Diagnostics.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

U0140-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH BODY CONTROL MODULE

Perform the COMMUNICATION PRE-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

•When Monitored:
      Ignition run time is greater than one second. Battery voltage between 9.0 and 16.0 volts.

•Set Condition:
      The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) doesn't receive a Body Control Module (BCM) message over the CAN C bus for seven consecutive seconds. The circuit is continuously monitored.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

CAN C BUS OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
      BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM)
      POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Body Control (BCM) / Standard Procedure

COMMUNICATION PRE-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

Communication Pre-Diagnostic Procedure

1.CHECK FOR POSSIBLE CAUSES

NOTE: For an in-depth explanation of the CAN system operation, refer to the DESCRIPTION in Section 8E, COMMUNICATION.

1. Check Battery for proper State of Charge (SOC) and Charging System for proper operation. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Charging/Diagnosis and Testing) .

2. With a scan tool, check all electronic Control Modules for battery and ignition voltage related DTCs.

3. Check for and perform all Service Bulletins that could be related to the customer complaint.

4. Check aftermarket accessories for proper installation. (Check for improper electrical connections and fasteners that may be contacting wire harnesses.)

5. With a scan tool, check all electronic Control Modules for software updates that are related to the customer complaint. Update Control Module(s) as necessary.

6. Check wire harnesses for collision related damage.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair the problem as necessary.
      •With a scan tool, erase DTCs from the related electronic Control Modules and perform the appropriate VERIFICATION TEST. If a VERIFICATION TEST is not available for that module, perform the BCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 2

2.CHECK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES FOR VEHICLE CONFIGURATION DTCS

NOTE:
      A Configuration DTC indicates that an Electronic Control Module (ECU) is not programmed with information that is specific to the vehicle (VIN, mileage, etc.). If an ECU is not configured properly, serial data communication failures could exist. The following list includes, but is not limited to, DTC descriptors that indicate a Configuration DTC.

•ECU Configuration Mismatch - Not Configured
      •ECU Unable To Configure
      •Implausible/Missing ECU Network Configuration Data
      •Implausible/Missing Vehicle Configuration Data
      •Implausible Vehicle Configuration
      •Incorrect Variant/Configuration
      •PROXI Not Programmed
      •Restore Vehicle Configuration
      •Vehicle Configuration Mismatch
      •Vehicle Configuration Not Programmed

1. With the scan tool, generate a Vehicle Scan Report.

2. With the Vehicle Scan Report, check all ECUs for Configuration DTCs.

Are any Configuration DTCs set?

Yes

•Configure the ECU(s) as necessary in accordance with the Service Information.
      •Perform the appropriate VERIFICATION TEST. If a VERIFICATION TEST is not available for that electronic Control Module, perform the BCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 3

3.CHECK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES FOR ACTIVE COMMUNICATION RELATED DTCS

1. Refer to the Vehicle Scan Report.

Are any Communication related DTCs active?

Yes

•Go To 4

No

•Go To 5

4.CHECK ACTIVE DTCS

Refer to the Vehicle Scan Report.

NOTE: Diagnose Lost Communication DTCs (not to be confused with CAN Bus Off or Can Bus Performance DTCs) before diagnosing other CAN related DTCs.

Which type of Communication DTC is active?

Lost Communication

•Go To 7

Implausible Data, Implausible Signal, Missing Message, or Invalid Data

•Go To 9

5.CHECK STORED DTCS

NOTE: Diagnose all Lost Communication DTCs before diagnosing other CAN related DTCs.

Which type of Communication DTC is stored?

Lost Communication

•Perform the STORED LOST COMMUNICATION DTCS procedure. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Communication/Diagnosis and Testing) .

Implausible Data, Implausible Signal, Missing Message, or Invalid Data

•Go To 6

6.CHECK OFFENDING CONTROL MODULE FOR DTCS

NOTE: The ‘Offending Control Module’ is the module that the Implausible DTC is set against.

Are any DTCs set in the Offending Control Module?

Yes

•Refer to the appropriate diagnostic procedure.

No

•Go To 11

7.CHECK FOR MULTIPLE LOST COMMUNICATION DTCS

Choose the scenario that best describes the condition of the vehicle from the list below:

One module is reporting a Lost Communication DTC against a single Control Module.

•Go To 8

Multiple Control Modules are reporting a Lost Communication DTC against a single Control Module.

•Perform the NO RESPONSE diagnostic procedure for the Control Module that is not communicating. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Communication/Diagnosis and Testing) .

8.CHECK OFFENDING CONTROL MODULE FOR COMMUNICATION

NOTE: The ‘Offending Control Module’ is the module that the Loss of Communication DTC is set against.

Is the Offending Control Module active on the bus?

Yes

•Replace the Reporting Control Module in accordance with the Service Information.
      •Perform the appropriate VERIFICATION TEST. If a VERIFICATION TEST is not available for that Control Module, perform the BCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

No

•Perform the NO RESPONSE diagnostic procedure for the module that is not communicating. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Communication/Diagnosis and Testing) .

9.CHECK OFFENDING CONTROL MODULE FOR DTCS

NOTE: The ‘Offending Control Module’ is the module that the Implausible Data, Implausible Signal, Missing Message, or Invalid Data DTC is set against.

With the scan tool, check the Offending Control Module for non-U-code DTCs that are related to the U-code that is set, or related to the customer complaint if the U-code DTC name is not clear about which signal is faulted.

Yes

•Refer to the appropriate diagnostic procedure.

No

•Go To 10

10.CHECK OTHER CONTROL MODULES FOR RELATED NON U-CODE DTCS

NOTE: IMPORTANT: Some Control Modules simply pass information from one Control Module to the other. In some cases, a U-code DTC may be set that implicates the “pass-through” module that sent the information. For example, if an Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor DTC is set in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the HVAC module may set an “Implausible Data from BCM” DTC because the BCM is the module that normally passes that information from the PCM to the HVAC module. However, the BCM may not set any DTCs related to the faulted ECT Sensor because the BCM does not use the ECT information. In this case, the PCM ECT DTC should be diagnosed before the Implausible Data DTC. If you suspect a scenario like this, diagnose the non U-code DTC(s) before diagnosing any Implausible Data, Implausible Signal, Invalid Data, or Missing Message DTCs.

1. With the scan tool, check all other Control Modules for non-U-code DTCs that are related to the U-code that is set, or related to the customer complaint if the U-code DTC name is not clear about which signal is faulted.

Is a related non U-code DTC set in another Control Module?

Yes

•Diagnose the related DTC. Refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Procedure.

No

•Replace the Offending Control Module in accordance with the Service Information.
      •Perform the appropriate VERIFICATION TEST. If a VERIFICATION TEST is not available for that module, perform the BCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

11.CHECK RELATED WIRE HARNESS CONNECTIONS

1. Disconnect all related wire harness connectors.

2. Disconnect all related in-line wire harness connections (if equipped).

3. Inspect wire harness connectors, component connectors, and all male and female terminals for the following conditions:
      •Proper connector installation.
      •Damaged connector locks.
      •Corrosion.
      •Signs of water intrusion.
      •Weather seal damage (if equipped).
      •Bent terminals.
      •Overheating due to a poor connection (terminal may be discolored due to excessive current draw).
      •Terminals that have been pushed back into the connector cavity.
      •Perform a terminal drag test on each connector terminal to verify proper terminal tension.

Repair any conditions that are found.

4. Reconnect all related wire harness connectors. Be certain that all wire harness connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

5. Reconnect all in-line wire harness connectors (if equipped). Be certain that all connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

6. With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

7. Using the Vehicle Scan Report, operate the vehicle in the conditions that set the DTC.

8. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Did the DTC return?

Yes

•If there is a history of this DTC setting multiple times, replace the Offending Control Module in accordance with the Service Information.
      •Perform the appropriate VERIFICATION TEST. If a VERIFICATION TEST is not available for that Control Module, perform the BCM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Standard Procedure).

No

•Test complete.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is keeping it going

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      8 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      So I ran the proxy alignment for the bcm and said thisName:  Screenshot_20190321-163819_AlfaOBD.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  736.7 KB
      Is it because I dont ha e the wires to check the telematics? The odometer is still flashing as well

• Nightshade Tail-lights

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      748 times
      Mentioned
      132 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Very likely. It's all CANbus networked.
      -Case