TFT + 8.4 + RE2/RE5 + Nav + uconnect mods thread (heavily Condensed!)
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

TFT + 8.4 + RE2/RE5 + Nav + uconnect mods thread (heavily Condensed!)

This is a discussion on TFT + 8.4 + RE2/RE5 + Nav + uconnect mods thread (heavily Condensed!) within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; After reading through over 200 pages of info I have decided it would be nice to have a Straight forward thread listing every available option ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree8Likes

Thread: TFT + 8.4 + RE2/RE5 + Nav + uconnect mods thread (heavily Condensed!)

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 1.4l Turbo 6-spd manual Citrus Peal
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

TFT + 8.4 + RE2/RB5 + Nav + uconnect mods thread (heavily Condensed!)

After reading through over 200 pages of info I have decided it would be nice to have a Straight forward thread listing every available option and difference as well as order of simplest to most difficult so anyone looking into doing this will have a 1 or 2 page look-up. Bam!

I'm not yet an expert, so anything anyone sees that should be added or Corrected, please don't hesitate to do so.

1. TFT ; Simply upgrading to TFT cluster looks to be one of the simplest upgrades involving only a few pieces. The TFT cluster, EVIC 6 button switch + proxi + correct the odometer reading Or just get/ wait for vehicle to match Cluster when it goes in. (Proxi corrects flashing odometer as well as some other issues but will not change cluster odometer reading)

TFT cluster swap is plug and play + proxi on all models including base radio. (TFT clusters were the same for each and any given model year with same features)

Some have had cluster odometer reading changed to match their vehicles average cost being 100-200.00. Most just get cluster with closest matching odometer and/ or wait till they match to do swap. Proxi can be done by dealer or you can do it yourself.

TFT cluster how to links;
      https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...r-upgrade.html

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...radio-tft.html

ALFAOBD Proxi links;
      https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...llignment.html

2. 8.4 touchscreen ; Quite a bit more complicated than TFT cluster swap, pieces needed include; RE2 or RB5 radio, bezel with or without light piping, screen, A/C controls, module, A/C wiring harness, HVAC controls, console with DVD player (optional) video signal wire, mirror W/mic, compass (optional) hands free module (if not already equipped)

Base CD/radio to 8.4 RE2 or RB5 with nav and depending on what functions you want. Not plug and play, going to involve wire splicing and running/ matching circuits plus anti-theft code + proxi

8.4 how to links;
      https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...questions.html

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...radio-tft.html

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...-8-4-8-4n.html

3. Base vs RE2 vs RB5 tuners ; What works with what, and what else you need for any to work, that being the case.

How to links;

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...o-upgrade.html

4. Adding Back up cam in trunk ; So far it looks like wiring is all there if you already have 8.4 touchscreen. Can anyone confirm that all Darts have that wiring?

How to links;

https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...ect-8-4-a.html

That's all I can think of for now. My hope is that through asking Q's and getting answers we can greatly Condense all of the info out there so anyone looking can find it All in one Short thread!

Once we get things rolling and sorted out from easiest to hardest as well as all options in between, can link threads to each for simple access.
      Last edited by ig2mdThwifsDart; 01-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
      First mod ; Boost and AFR gauges
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -2 1/2" custom charge pipes
      -Custom (1 off) GTX2060 turbo
      -Custom 3" CAI

My 40mpg summer DD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      159 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @ig2mdThwifsDart

I think that there is only one maybe two different TFT clusters: MOPAR 13' clusters with blue color programming to match the car, and the standard one with red color programming to.. match the interior of the car. I know the 13's didn't have one or two indicators that were in the later models but I think it's possible to swap them over and still gain the settings.

I do believe that also just changing out the trunk lid and getting the camera is all it really takes.

Either way someone make sure I remember once this thread starts rolling along so I can delete this post and keep it tidy.
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 01-11-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Corrected info per jsblanch
      ig2mdThwifsDart likes this.
      Mods:
      NGK LZTR4A-11 5306 copper spark plugs gapped to .048
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme ice blue CDV delete
      Deyeme Short shift arm
      Deyeme ice blue shift rod
      Deyeme ice blue Firm Rear Trans Mount
      Kenda Kaiser KR-20s (Front)
      Metal blue valve stem caps
      Chrome door handle covers

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      This the stuff we need to find out and condense. Don't think the # of pages in the thread will matter, 3, 5, whatever it takes to get this all straightened out.

I will just continue to edit the first post as info comes in so anyone coming into the thread will see all the info without having to look further
      Dartanyion likes this.
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3857 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      1 - You can't change the mileage on the Dart's odometer, at least not without some specialized hardware. All the proxi alignment does is take the mileage from the cluster (which is the source of truth for mileage) and feed it into the other secondary modules, which stops the flashing that is caused by the discrepancy in mileage.

2 - You can't add the nav function to a Uconnect 8.4 that didn't come with it from the factory. Unlike the newer Uconnect 8.4A, the older units in the Dart that do not have nav also do not have the hardware for it.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      1 - You can't change the mileage on the Dart's odometer, at least not without some specialized hardware. All the proxi alignment does is take the mileage from the cluster (which is the source of truth for mileage) and feed it into the other secondary modules, which stops the flashing that is caused by the discrepancy in mileage.
      This part I understand, but reading through several threads it seems that a few have gotten the mileage changed to match theirs.

2 - You can't add the nav function to a Uconnect 8.4 that didn't come with it from the factory. Unlike the newer Uconnect 8.4A, the older units in the Dart that do not have nav also do not have the hardware for it.
      This is what I was afraid of. So Nav 8.4 touchscreen is a different unit than 8.4 without Nav.

I have begun to edit original post and will continue to do so over the next few weeks until All pertinent info is filled in.

Some of what I add will be conjecture until proven wrong or indifferent. I've done this purposefully as it seems the quickest and easiest way to get to the facts.

If anyone is aware of other good links that I haven't posted feel free to suggest them and I will ad them to their location. I'm trying to stick to simplest first, then more complex as it goes. Think my order is wrong? say something! lol

If info I've posted is Wrong, Correct me!

Shouldn't take too long and we will have a comprehensive data base for everything involving these swaps. If I've missed anything that you feel belongs in this family of swaps, please make suggestions.
      Last edited by ig2mdThwifsDart; 01-11-2019 at 09:35 AM.
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

So far everything I'm reading is in disagreement with this. Apparently adding Nav is as simple as swapping in the RB5 tuner and if you already have sat antenna just proxi and activation.
      Last edited by ig2mdThwifsDart; 01-15-2019 at 08:13 AM.
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      159 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by ig2mdThwifsDart View Post
      This part I understand, but reading through several threads it seems that a few have gotten the mileage changed to match theirs.
      If you take the cluster to a dealer and give them the vin and a bill of sale they can do it for you for a fee. I don't know what that fee is. I think he was just trying to clear up you can't actually change the mileage on the cluster yourself or with alfaobd.

So far everything I'm reading is in disagreement with this. Apparently adding Nav is as simple as swapping in the RE5 tuner and if you already have sat antenna just proxi and activation.
      Yes you are correct. You need the RB5 (Uconnect 8.4N). The RE2 will not work ever for GPS. It just doesn't come with the nav stuff built in. I'm wondering if you find an RE5 from a junker that already had nav activated, do you still have to go through that or just code and proxi and done?

Found From 2017:
      Quote Originally Posted by Javelin3o4 View Post
      yeah for the 8.4 system that does not have nav you just need the RB5 tuner, get the anti-theft pin for it, install it and a proxy alignment. Also note the RB5 has to be from a Dart.
      Source: https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...pgrade-23.html

There are many more sources I could cite, but this sums it all up.
      Last edited by Dartanyion; 01-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.
      Mods:
      NGK LZTR4A-11 5306 copper spark plugs gapped to .048
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme ice blue CDV delete
      Deyeme Short shift arm
      Deyeme ice blue shift rod
      Deyeme ice blue Firm Rear Trans Mount
      Kenda Kaiser KR-20s (Front)
      Metal blue valve stem caps
      Chrome door handle covers

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Originally Posted by Javelin3o4
      "yeah for the 8.4 system that does not have nav you just need the RB5 tuner, get the anti-theft pin for it, install it and a proxy alignment. Also note the RB5 has to be from a Dart."

So this would say that all 8.4 touchscreens are the same and you don't need a Specific one for Nav vs no Nav.

Also assuming from what I've read that all TFT's are the same, not Specific to Nav. Although there is some conjecture whether some have turn by turn function vs not...….
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart SXT 1.4
      Mods
      TFT Cluster Swap | RB5 Swap | Footwell LED's | IP Bezel LED Swap | Kicker 8" Sub & 6x9's | Mopar CAI
      Liked
      132 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Originally Posted by Javelin3o4
      "yeah for the 8.4 system that does not have nav you just need the RB5 tuner, get the anti-theft pin for it, install it and a proxy alignment. Also note the RB5 has to be from a Dart."

So this would say that all 8.4 touchscreens are the same and you don't need a Specific one for Nav vs no Nav.

Also assuming from what I've read that all TFT's are the same, not Specific to Nav. Although there is some conjecture whether some have turn by turn function vs not...….
      TFT Clusters arent all the same. The 2014+ had a oil life monitor page that the 2013's don't have. If you slap a 2014+ model in with oil life monitor into a 2013 you are gonna have a page that doesn't work AFAIK.

When first upgraded to the NAV tuner and the TFT cluster I did not get turn by turn on the cluster until I used AlfaOBD to change the car configuration to add the TFT Cluster sales code to my car then did a proxy. As soon as I did that turn by turn worked.
      ig2mdThwifsDart likes this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Javelin3o4 View Post
      TFT Clusters arent all the same. The 2014+ had a oil life monitor page that the 2013's don't have. If you slap a 2014+ model in with oil life monitor into a 2013 you are gonna have a page that doesn't work AFAIK.

When first upgraded to the NAV tuner and the TFT cluster I did not get turn by turn on the cluster until I used AlfaOBD to change the car configuration to add the TFT Cluster sales code to my car then did a proxy. As soon as I did that turn by turn worked.
      Good info! If you'll notice, I put "as long as compatible model year" in the TFT description. What I meant by that is exactly what you just said. So If your year of Dart has features in the dash that are specific to that year, you will need that specific TFT cluster. Point I was trying to make was that there are not 2 separate TFT's for each years. eg. 1 being for Nav and one being Non Nav.

I remember reading about yours and the speculation whether you didn't have turn by turn while some others did because there may be 2 different TFT clusters. When I read through the entire AlfaOBD thread and got to the part where you verified that you were able to enable the turn by turn feature, I then decided to state that the TFT clusters were the same for each and any given model year with same features. (maybe I should change description to what I just wrote? lol)

Same with the 8.4 touchscreens, because they are described as 8.4n vs 8.4 it gave the impression that you may need a Nav 8.4 vs all 8.4 touchscreens being the same. After reading through threads where people simply changed out the RE2 radio to RB5 and Nav appeared on touchscreen, that kind of said that the 8.4 screen isn't Nav specific. (I think yours was one of the threads that pointed this out to me.)
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links