Entertainment Server
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Entertainment Server

This is a discussion on Entertainment Server within the Dodge Dart Electronics forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; I have an idea of a media/entertainment server that I was thinking about doing in my Dart. I have a 2014 Dart GT 2.4L/Auto and ...

User Tag List

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dart GT with all the fixin's
      Liked
      10 times
      Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Entertainment Server

I have an idea of a media/entertainment server that I was thinking about doing in my Dart. I have a 2014 Dart GT 2.4L/Auto and Alpine 9-speaker setup. I have the sunroof so I know the overhead variety is out. I know @hwilliams18 was working on something similar. After all the reading it seems the 8.4N with TFT screen is going to be a tough one to crack to be able to use the 8.4N radio as the input screen.

I have a backup plan that I think I would also like to try. If the screen upfront doesn't prove useful, I would like to check out LCD screens in the headrests. My end-plan here (if I can convince the Off-Base Commander i.e. Wife) is to build a small and heat efficient PC based off an AMD APU and a small SSD so there are no moving parts. Ideally I would mount it in the front of the trunk against the back seat I would like to have it running off Win7, I have seen people successfully get dual HDMI outputs from small motherboards, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI->HDMI. Sound could easily be run using 3.5 cables, 1 coming in through the bottom of the console (hidden) straight into the AUX port since I don't use it for anything else because I have the USB and Bluetooth, and a second shorter cable coming in out of the back for wired headphones.

This would all be running PLEX Media Server, Rom Emulators for NES/SNES/Genesis etc, and Steam.

Sounds like a pipedream of sorts, but this is all for nothing if I can't get a quality screen with HDMI inputs either on the front 8.4N w/TFT or a set of quality headrest LCD's.

Anyone had any luck or used the LCD headrests with HDMI?
      Last edited by KJJayhawk; 05-02-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dart GT with all the fixin's
      Liked
      10 times
      Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Just replying to my own thread so I don't forget and can remind myself later is that it looks like it wouldn't be practical and the main reason would be power. How to setup a 'normal' PC to automatically turn on when they get power as boards will not POST until after the switch is pressed after getting power. I don't want to get into the trunk each time. The other issue is on the opposite end of the power, how to get the computer to power off normally when I turn off the ignition, or if I just run an inverter of the acc line, how will that effect the computer long term. Most computer's don't randomly get power killed abrubtly a couple of times a day.

Oh well, was a thought.

Edit: Think I solved it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1748-_-Product

I get a remote power switch and extend the wires to someplace within reach inside the car, center console maybe, and then just only turn it on when I plan on using it so it isn't power cycled each time I start the ignition, the PS and the switch would get power, but the computer itself wouldn't turn on until I hit the switch....ahh this might work!
      Last edited by KJJayhawk; 05-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart SXT 1.4
      Mods
      TFT Cluster Swap | RB5 Swap | Footwell LED's | IP Bezel LED Swap | Kicker 8" Sub & 6x9's | Mopar CAI
      Liked
      136 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      could probably do some type of relay wired into the power switch wires on the computer.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is a Car Audio Guru

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye
      Liked
      263 times
      Mentioned
      26 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      PM me. When I get off work I can help. I've done a few CarPCs in the past
      Last edited by BlueDemon; 05-04-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Newb
      Rep

is going to CA for the summer.

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT
      Mods
      None Yet, but I am building my own and the rest are in the mail.
      Liked
      7 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by KJJayhawk View Post
      build a small and heat efficient PC based off an AMD APU and a small SSD so there are no moving parts. Ideally I would mount it in the front of the trunk against the back seat I would like to have it running off Win7, I have seen people successfully get dual HDMI outputs from small motherboards, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI->HDMI
      I haven't read you whole thread yet, but this line caught my eye and I wanted to give you a heads up so you could look into it. There exists a number of tiny computers that fit the description you're looking for. I would suggest you start by looking into the "Panda Board". I believe this board will run windows 7/8 and it does have HDMI output. If you see any small form factor computer you like that only has one HDMI output I'm sure there is a product that will split one output into 2.

There are also similar products like the beagle board, which probably just runs linux, and the new Raspberry Pi 2.0, which will in the future run windows 10. There are hundreds of options out there and you'll just need to find the one that looks the best to you. You can google "single board computers" and search through your options. Here is one website that lists a bunch of your options. Single Board Computers for Linux & Windows - ARM & X86 | AndersDX.com

You may want to look into Windows CE instead of Windows 7 as well. CE is an OS designed specifically for lightweight, low power devices. You'll have to look into whether or not it can run the emulators you want to install, but I assume it can.

Sponsored Links