Front end damage question
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Front end damage question within the Dodge Dart Builds forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; Bought it with it bust and with the way it is smashed it is causing my active control shutter assembly to stick shut and my ...

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By alpinegreenneon
    • 1 Post By Mass_Paul
    • 1 Post By ig2mdThwifsDart

Thread: Front end damage question

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Bought it with it bust and with the way it is smashed it is causing my active control shutter assembly to stick shut and my engine light comes on. My question is will a plastic welder or jb weld fix this?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Find a wrecked Dart at a self serve junkyard and get a chunk of front bumper plastic. Remove any paint from that scrap chunk. Pull your bumper cover off. Use a heat gun if necessary to realign the crack to get it as close together as possible. From the backside, carefully melt and add the scrap plastic from the wrecked Dart using a solder iron. You need to use the same plastic type or it will not bond together. There are you tubes about heat welding you can watch. Since that is a clean crack, you should not need to repaint if you do all the adding from from the backside. If you align the crack together correctly, the grill shutter should not bind.

My wife hit a skunk last year and it cracked her bumper. I was able to fix it the way I described. It's almost invisible.

Name:  dartbumpercrack.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  65.5 KB

There is a really good you tube for removing the Dart front bumper cover by motor city mechanic.
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 03-21-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: added link
      Mass_Paul likes this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 1.4l Turbo 6-spd manual Citrus Peal
      Liked
      396 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Or there are several 2 part adhesives out there that can repair that as well.

Although, if you use a 2 part adhesive instead of welding like @alpinegreenneon suggested, after glue is dry you should sand the back side smooth and use a mesh fiber cloth on the backside and the 2 part epoxy to adhere the mesh to the back of cover to reinforce the area.

If you AGS is effected it prob got damaged as well and you would need to remove cover and inspect regardless.
      First mod ; Boost and AFR gauges
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -2 1/2" custom charge pipes
      -Custom (1 off) GTX2060 turbo
      -Custom 3" CAI

My 40mpg summer DD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      From what I understand, two part adhesives are almost all epoxy based. Epoxy resins are more compatible with fiberglass. The bumper plastic is not fiberglass. An adhesive for plastics should have a compatible solvent in it's chemistry but with so many different plastic formulas out there, there is no one adhesive for every plastic. With enough bulk from behind combined with a mesh, the two part epoxy repair should be ok. However, I think using the same plastic should have a better chance of lasting. Using a solder iron melts the original bumper as well as the scrap plastic and since they are the same, the two melt together. There has been a wide variety of plastics used on bumpers over the years. Some are more flexible, while others are more brittle. My Neons bumpers were very flexible compared to the Darts. The scrap piece I got at the junkyard was free.
      -Case

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is 04-03-2019: Installed Genuine
      Mopar Pedal Kit Manual Part
      Number: 82214197

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      Mods
      RRM Lightweight Pulley*Injen CAI*MPx Bored Throttle Body*CDV Delete*Flex Rear Mount
      Liked
      346 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      From what I understand, two part adhesives are almost all epoxy based. Epoxy resins are more compatible with fiberglass. The bumper plastic is not fiberglass. An adhesive for plastics should have a compatible solvent in it's chemistry but with so many different plastic formulas out there, there is no one adhesive for every plastic. With enough bulk from behind combined with a mesh, the two part epoxy repair should be ok. However, I think using the same plastic should have a better chance of lasting. Using a solder iron melts the original bumper as well as the scrap plastic and since they are the same, the two melt together. There has been a wide variety of plastics used on bumpers over the years. Some are more flexible, while others are more brittle. My Neons bumpers were very flexible compared to the Darts. The scrap piece I got at the junkyard was free.
      I think you also have to take into account that if you are taking the time to remove the entire bumper, take the time to perform the best, most reliable, fix. You don't want to be removing that bumper multiple times.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
      alpinegreenneon likes this.
      Mass_Paul
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      * 1 of 4 2014 Dodge Dart GT 4 Door Sedans manufactured in the same color paint &
      built with the same equipment, options & groups (configurations) in the United States

Mods:
      • RRM 2.4L Spectrum Tuner & Lightweight Pulley
      • Injen 2.4L CAI
      • MPx Bored Throttle Body, Polished Shift Knob & Stubby Antenna
      • Deyeme Clutch Delay Valve Delete & Rear Mount (Flex)
      • Autolite Copper Plugs
      • Rally Armor Flaps
      • AVS In-Channel Ventvisors

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      396 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Coming from a body work background, I sometimes forget that I've had over 30 years to experience exactly what you're talking about. 20 years ago it was very hard to find a 2 part adhesive that would do individual formula bumpers well, let alone one adhesive that would do them All!

Dynaweld is one of those adhesives. It has a long set-up time (I always leave it overnight) but I have never had a single failure on Any bumper regardless of composition.

I have even grafted ground effects together with it to extend, modify ect. All the things I use to use plastic welding for. Not to mention you can feather it out in 400 and finer grits to a seamless transition. (prob the greatest proof of it's bonding ability)

Having said all of this, it's because of my experience in the field and going through products till I found one that Worked. The general public doesn't get that same chance.

So for simplicity sake, for the individual, plastic welding with same material prob the best advice
      alpinegreenneon likes this.
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      762 times
      Mentioned
      133 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @ig2mdThwifsDart , I tried to find more info on Dynaweld. Google says its a roofing shingle adhesive sheet? Do you have a link?
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 03-21-2019 at 10:21 PM.
      -Case

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      396 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @ig2mdThwifsDart , I tried to find more info on Dynaweld. Google says its a roofing shingle adhesive sheet? Do you have a link?
      Getting harder to find all the time! This was one of those old school products that just plain Worked, but it wasn't Fast, and the industry always wants Fast!

I use to buy a kit for 25.00 CND, and it's the full sized caulk gun tubes, so think of the quantity vs the little 2 part repair packs that were coming out with their own mixing straw and mini gun. I had my supplier special order it when they stopped stocking it because everyone was going to faster setting stuff I guess.

Then it disappeared and I was running out (had bought 3 kits). Was one of those things where you're thinking Dang, Really? Something that good and that cheap and no one uses it? (supply and demand)Then it made a comeback but now 58.00 was the cheapest I could find it, but it was everywhere, like all of a sudden the industry recognized it's quality. So I got 3 more kits.

Down to the last 1/2 of my last kit and did a search and it's disappearing again. Only hit I got was on Amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/Bondo-BONDO-3M.../dp/B00HFL4UFS

I'm sure it use to be on ebay and in the US, but not 100% Certain. Maybe only a CND thing?
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle