2.4L Assumed HP Figures
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

2.4L Assumed HP Figures

This is a discussion on 2.4L Assumed HP Figures within the Dodge Dart 2.4L Tigershark forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; All, I was starting to post about 2.4L HP figures in another existing thread due to a few comments, as it is something I have ...

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
    • 1 Post By Mass_Paul
    • 2 Post By Mass_Paul
    • 1 Post By josh16
    • 2 Post By Mass_Paul

Thread: 2.4L Assumed HP Figures

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

is 04-03-2019: Installed Genuine
      Mopar Pedal Kit Manual Part
      Number: 82214197

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT (Pitch Black)
      Mods
      RRM Lightweight Pulley*Injen CAI*MPx Bored Throttle Body*CDV Delete*Flex Rear Mount
      Liked
      348 times
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

2.4L Assumed HP Figures

All,

I was starting to post about 2.4L HP figures in another existing thread due to a few comments, as it is something I have also been considering. However, it was not the subject of that thread and would not be respectful to the OP to derail it.

Anyway, I am not saying who/what is right and/or wrong when trying to develop HP #"s for our Darts based on mods. I actually had put together a spreadsheet for myself based general rule of thumb assumptions and advertised figures. Now, we both know what assumptions (and assuming) makes of both you and me and vendor advertised gains on mods are also debatable. That all said, the below spreadsheet is what I put together, based on my Dart and the order of "performance" mods I have either now installed and/or am planning to (just have the MPx header and exhaust on the "need" list now). Please feel free to tear into the validity/accuracy/thoughts/opinions of these figures. To answer a question that may come up, I am never putting my car on a dyno so this is the best way I can gather this information. Will never be 100% confirmed/validated.

Name:  Dart HP Assumptions 2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  154.3 KB
      Dartanyion likes this.
      Mass_Paul
      * 1 of 4 2014 Dodge Dart GT 4 Door Sedans manufactured in the same color paint &
      built with the same equipment, options & groups (configurations) in the United States

Mods:
      • RRM 2.4L Spectrum Tuner & Lightweight Pulley
      • Injen 2.4L CAI
      • MPx Bored Throttle Body, Polished Shift Knob & Stubby Antenna
      • Deyeme Clutch Delay Valve Delete & Rear Mount (Flex)
      • Autolite Copper Plugs
      • Rally Armor Flaps
      • AVS In-Channel Ventvisors

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Auto Bright White
      Mods
      Driver Mod
      Liked
      1142 times
      Mentioned
      73 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Mass_Paul , since you have everything on the list besides the header/exhaust, what are your thoughts on how the car feels now? Does it feel +20whp to you?

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Mods
      RRM Lightweight Pulley*Injen CAI*MPx Bored Throttle Body*CDV Delete*Flex Rear Mount
      Liked
      348 times
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Killraven View Post
      @Mass_Paul , since you have everything on the list besides the header/exhaust, what are your thoughts on how the car feels now? Does it feel +20whp to you?
      Well, I did have an a-hole in a RAV 4 pull up to next to me at a light this morning where everyone merges on to the highway. I could tell the way they were creeping up they were going to try and gun it and cut me off to get on the entrance ramp (when they could have easily just have pulled behind me as we were the only two people at the light). So after a terrible launch by me at the green, I then spun going into 2nd & 3rd and left the RAV 4 in the dust. I do feel like the car is producing more power and torque. Has much more of a caged animal type of feel.

That being said, it has been about a year since I drove my car stock. Your post made me think about, perhaps, I should see if there is a used 2014 GT for sale in the area and take it on a test drive as a comparison. However, then I have to remember not to be an insane person (at least not to that degree) and not go that route........but, maybe....

I will be hitting the 80 mile mark today on the RRM Spectrum Tuner. There have been many posts about how this is the "soft" break-in milestone. I will continue to post my thoughts on the Spectrum Tuner. In the end, I am happy with all of my decisions to this point and feel that it has all been money well spent with the results that I wanted.
      Killraven and Dartanyion like this.
      Mass_Paul
      * 1 of 4 2014 Dodge Dart GT 4 Door Sedans manufactured in the same color paint &
      built with the same equipment, options & groups (configurations) in the United States

Mods:
      • Injen 2.4L CAI
      • Autolite Copper Plugs
      • Rally Armor Flaps

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.4
      Liked
      384 times
      Mentioned
      69 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      A stock 2.4 GT has approximately 145 whp according to the dyno from modern performance.

There was a 2.0 with full bolt ons (Syked tune, header & exhaust, intake, LW pulley, ported throttle body) that made 161 whp (just under 30 whp over stock).

I understand the engines are different but I would estimate that you should see a similar output of a maximum of 30whp increase with full bolt ons. Also the 2.0 has a true tune vs the spectrum piggy back
      Dartanyion likes this.
      Modifications:
      Appearance:
      Mopar Appearance Kit (Sill Guards, Pedals, splash guards, Front Lip, Diffuser)
      Full error free LED conversion
      Fast FC04 LW wheels with FH Indy 500 tires, Red Calipers
      XV 6000k HIDs & TRS LEDs 5500K
      Ruby Red Rallye Seats & GT interior DR panels
      Solargard Tint (22% front, 17% rear)
      Luxe taillight tint
      TFT display

Performance:
      RRM Stage 1 (Spectrum, Pulley, Header Blanket)
      HPSI cold air intake with ram air
      DR Flex Rear Mount
      RE16MC plugs
      MPX TB

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dart GT
      Liked
      111 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      From what ive heard on this forum theres about a 20% loss in the powertech/drivetrain so that number falls more in line with what Modern Performance did.
      Last edited by Parabolaralus; 11-30-2018 at 04:47 PM.
      Mods
      RRM Tuner+LW Pulley
      Injen CAI With Pre-Filter
      Muffler Delete
      Aero Paneling Delete
      Deyeme Rear Mount (Firm)
      AVS In Channel Visors
      Interior LEDs
      Dipped Emblems, Sport Hood, and Wheel Caps
      Front Lip, Sideskirts and Rear Diffuser.
      12" JBL GT-BassPro

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Manual Blue Streak Pearl Coat
      Mods
      See signature
      Liked
      163 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mass_Paul View Post
      Well, I did have an a-hole in a RAV 4 pull up to next to me at a light this morning where everyone merges on to the highway. I could tell the way they were creeping up they were going to try and gun it and cut me off to get on the entrance ramp (when they could have easily just have pulled behind me as we were the only two people at the light). So after a terrible launch by me at the green, I then spun going into 2nd & 3rd and left the RAV 4 in the dust. I do feel like the car is producing more power and torque. Has much more of a caged animal type of feel.

That being said, it has been about a year since I drove my car stock. Your post made me think about, perhaps, I should see if there is a used 2014 GT for sale in the area and take it on a test drive as a comparison. However, then I have to remember not to be an insane person (at least not to that degree) and not go that route........but, maybe....

I will be hitting the 80 mile mark today on the RRM Spectrum Tuner. There have been many posts about how this is the "soft" break-in milestone. I will continue to post my thoughts on the Spectrum Tuner. In the end, I am happy with all of my decisions to this point and feel that it has all been money well spent with the results that I wanted.
      I'll save you some time. In my 2.4GT, I only have the MOPAR CAI. You can squeak 3rd? I can barely squeak second. You got much more than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by josh16 View Post
      A stock 2.4 GT has approximately 145 whp according to the dyno from modern performance.

There was a 2.0 with full bolt ons (Syked tune, header & exhaust, intake, LW pulley, ported throttle body) that made 161 whp (just under 30 whp over stock).

I understand the engines are different but I would estimate that you should see a similar output of a maximum of 30whp increase with full bolt ons. Also the 2.0 has a true tune vs the spectrum piggy back
      Well this does bring up the old 'WHP' vs 'HP'(Crank HP). Everyone is so much more used to crank HP because well.. Advertisement and less shame. lol. Do remember however a stock Lambo get's right at 350whp if I'm not mistaken...
      Mods:
      NGK LZTR4A-11 5306 copper spark plugs gapped to .048
      MOPAR Cold Air Intake
      MOPAR Shift knob
      Deyeme ice blue CDV delete
      Deyeme Short shift arm
      Deyeme ice blue shift rod
      Deyeme ice blue Firm Rear Trans Mount
      Kenda Kaiser KR-20s (Front)
      Metal blue valve stem caps
      Chrome door handle covers

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      348 times
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @josh16 ,

You bring up some good points. Like I said, this is all debatable on these numbers. it has been said in other places that when mods are stacked, the Spectrum Tuner adapts to that and may provide better returns. However, there is zero numbers on that anywhere. On the other hand, it could be the law of diminishing returns where multiple, stacked mods may not return their highest value if they were only run solo. We will never know. i should also say that my 15% loss assumption between crank and wheel HP is based on a manual (because that is what I have). As @Parabolaralus stated, if the 2.0L is an automatic, the general rule of loss for those transmissions are assumed around 20% (this is before he started talking about performing hardware swaps on laptops. I hope you did a good job of cleaning all of the old thermal paste).

As others have said though, these numbers don't really matter, all that matters is how you feel the car runs and responds. Driving my dart home from the office today all I can say is i still love it . I honestly believe that the Spectrum Tuner has added some anger to it, especially at over 2k RPMs. Just feels like it wants to be let off a leash and run a little.

And @Dartanyion , I got some spin in 3rd, did not chirp it.....yet.....
      josh16 and Dartanyion like this.
      Mass_Paul

Mods:
      • Injen 2.4L CAI
      • Autolite Copper Plugs
      • Rally Armor Flaps

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart SXT 1.4L Turbo 6 Speed, Blue Streak
      Mods
      See signature, I apparently have too many for this little box
      Liked
      173 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      A few things to note that I'll throw in.

Talking about "squeaking" or "chirping", you have to remember that's a terrible way to compare power from one person to another (even in the same car): You need to remember temperature, road surface type/condition, and tires are going to change this completely for yourself, let alone comparing you to someone else.

In regards to the 15% DTL, that's fairly typical of a FWD car, I've seen a bunch of dynos to support this, including my wife's 06 civic during the stock dyno was exactly 15% loss, no rounding.

Not sure if it applies in the 2.4/2.0 because the ECU is different from that of the 1.4 - however, the 1.4 ECU's (which is shared among Fiats) will pull power when it sees the rear wheels aren't moving at the same speed the front are, as is typical on a two wheel dyno. I tried to dyno my car to see what it was putting out, and once you give it gas, the traction lights come on, and it's clear that it cuts power. At least in Fiats/1.4 Dart's case, it needs to be on a 4wheel dyno where the rollers are locked.

Eurocompulsion has done a comparison video to showcase this happening on a Fiat 124.

In the case of the video, the ECU pulled ~50 horsepower because of this.

Just food for thought guys.
      Since I've done too much to fit in this signature, check out my list of modifications here: https://i.imgur.com/8dj5UJG.png

Sponsored Links