Bored Throttle Body (2.4L)
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on Bored Throttle Body (2.4L) within the Dodge Dart 2.4L Tigershark forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Has anybody used the MPx bored throttle body on their 2.4L Dart? Or maybe had a machine shop do it for them? I am thinking ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bored Throttle Body (2.4L)

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is at the Cube-Farm

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Limited 2.4L
      Mods
      Custom Dual Exhaust,Custom Cold Air Intake,Red Dipped Grill and fog bezel,De-Badged,Custom badges
      Liked
      26 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Has anybody used the MPx bored throttle body on their 2.4L Dart? Or maybe had a machine shop do it for them?

I am thinking about these two options and the implications of having a larger bore...From my experience racing snowmobiles I know that we used to bore the carbs to suck more air as to increase the amount of fuel used (air+fuel+spark = mmmm); however one of the side-effects is that they obviously suck much more gas.

Thoughts on how the bored throttle body will effect the 2.4L Dart (besides HP)?
      Last edited by ownsmash; 09-23-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is MORE POWER!!

Vehicle
      15' Dart BlackTop 65' Plymouth AWB 72' Datsun 240z
      Mods
      2.0l Ingen Full CAI RRM Lightweight Pulley Custom Flowmaster HP-2 Exhaust MPX 68mm TB Deyeme Firm Re
      Liked
      185 times
      Mentioned
      35 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      FYI you might start a crap throwing contest on this...

We all agree that mpg goes up as efficiency increases (V.E.), Well so does horsepower! When you mod an engine, no matter if it is a small motor, big motor, boosted. The more efficient it is the better the horsepower as well as better mpg.

Let's say you add an intake an exhaust, gain 15hp from idle to peak hp and torque (just for example). With that additional 15hp you won't have to rev the engine as high to make the needed hp to shift or hold a speed. It takes less throttle to do the same thing which gains mpg because of efficiency.

On my 15' I was getting 29mpg on my first tank. I drive the same road everyday at the same times. After and intake and exhaust, light weight pulley and rear mount I get 34mpg, that's a solid increase. The best part is the car is much more alive, sounds better and runs better because of it!

I just installed the MPX on mine so I havnt got a reading yet, if you can stay out of the throttle you may see a little increase
      Flyer, ownsmash and shaneboy87 like this.
      Looking to add another dart to the mix! Hoping to order "Baby Dart" for my birthday in Sept!

2015 Dodge Dart BlackTop 2.4L 6spd
      1968 Dodge Dart Slant Six 14.25 @ 94mph 1.911 60ft
      1965 Plymouth AFX 512" Wedge
      1972 Datsun 240z

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1931 times
      Mentioned
      209 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      i dont have a 2.4, but the reason i dont have the ported throttle body from MPx is that ive been told that the ported TB is a "sunken" mod. i was told that the lovely ECU in our darts will after about 2 weeks re-learn the ported throttle body mod and remove all of your satisfaction gained from the added performance. so, food for thought. if i ever get the HPSI tune for my 1.4T, then i will get a ported TB and let HPSI work their magic.
      youngsmith53 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is Glorious

Vehicle
      Citrus Peel Pearlcoat Rallye w/ 2.0L Powertech
      Mods
      Too many for this box. Visit the build thread, click the link in signature...
      Liked
      4296 times
      Mentioned
      672 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Closing this out for the time being as I'm on my phone and not at a computer (vacation) @Bullfrog , @Mr Bacon or @un4givn85 can keep an eye and reopen. @pkgmsu2000 is on the right path with his answer, but I can also see this was already twisting down a path not needed. So it might be best to close out here for the time being.
      pkgmsu2000 likes this.
      YoungSmith53 / Aya Build Thread
      To make the .org enjoyable, follow the .org guidelines, use the new and improved reputation system (star button at bottom left of post) & the new and improved .org search.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart 2013 GT 2.4L Auto
      Liked
      43 times
      Mentioned
      8 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I have installed the MPx TB 2.4 alongside the Tork CAI. A week after installation, an audible buzzier intake sound was present. Especially in the WOT. I'm currently trying to use process of elimination to determine if the Tork downpipe came loose and is the source of buzzing, or if the ported TB is the cause of the noise. Modern Performance is shipping back the stock TB, so it may take a while. I'll let you know what I find.

Meanwhile, the performance increase due to the ported TB is great. I have not had to reset the ECU either.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is at the Cube-Farm

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Limited 2.4L
      Mods
      Custom Dual Exhaust,Custom Cold Air Intake,Red Dipped Grill and fog bezel,De-Badged,Custom badges
      Liked
      26 times
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by pkgmsu2000 View Post
      i dont have a 2.4, but the reason i dont have the ported throttle body from MPx is that ive been told that the ported TB is a "sunken" mod. i was told that the lovely ECU in our darts will after about 2 weeks re-learn the ported throttle body mod and remove all of your satisfaction gained from the added performance. so, food for thought. if i ever get the HPSI tune for my 1.4T, then i will get a ported TB and let HPSI work their magic.
      That is quite interesting, I never considered the "adaptive" properties of the ECU. If this is the case, does that mean that other engine mods such as (not limitied to) CAI will provide diminishing returns?

Secondly, HPSI 1+ tune is available for 2.4L N/A? I didn't think that was a thing.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM LW pulley, EC CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, Rally Armors, Heartthrob exhaust
      Liked
      1949 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by ownsmash View Post
      That is quite interesting, I never considered the "adaptive" properties of the ECU. If this is the case, does that mean that other engine mods such as (not limitied to) CAI will provide diminishing returns?

Secondly, HPSI 1+ tune is available for 2.4L N/A? I didn't think that was a thing.
      I think that is why mopar kid stated about a crap throwing contest. lol I have also heard that the ECU will do this, but from who? Other vendors and people that don't have it. I don't have it, and would also like to truely know what it does. Those 1.4 guys that have it say it's pretty good so who's to believe? The world may never know. lol

Although I do remember a dyno graph posted on facebook when MPX released it, and i do remember seeing a "crap throwing contest" about how the ecu was actually pulling power at a certain rpm from the extra air into the equation that the computer was not sure what to do with. It showed gains, but then dipped in power BELOW stock before leaving the main power band. I would really have to dig and find that post, as it was a while ago and might have been deleted from the many facebook dart owners being A-holes and to nothing but talk crap about other vendors. I like a civil debate on products. Comparing this to that without the constant bashing of other guys. In comparisons you may have to bring up benefits of one over the other, but to completely put down and call other products, and companies garbage is not called for. And that's alot of what i see on there.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      RRM LW pulley, EC CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, Rally Armors, Heartthrob exhaust
      Liked
      1949 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by ownsmash View Post

And no the HPSI tune is currently only on the 1.4 platform. But I have a feeling that they are going to make some major progress on the 2.0 and 2.4 platform very very soon.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Dodge Dart GT 2014 orange
      Mods
      See sign
      Liked
      280 times
      Mentioned
      23 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The ported throttle body will probably be a good mod only if you make a tune after the install to ensure that the car knows how to deal with the extra air coming in.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1949 times
      Mentioned
      288 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Anch View Post
      The ported throttle body will probably be a good mod only if you make a tune after the install to ensure that the car knows how to deal with the extra air coming in.
      This is probably right. Those that i hear with it, actually are tuned 1.4t owners.
      ownsmash likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links