DDCT + performance driving = Off Topic? - Page 8
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

DDCT + performance driving = Off Topic?

This is a discussion on DDCT + performance driving = Off Topic? within the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir Turbo forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Replacing the TCM definitely seems to be the most serviced item on the DDCT. A pain, but an easy fix. Hardware/software problem? I seem to ...

User Tag List

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Like Tree125Likes

Thread: DDCT + performance driving = Off Topic?

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is thinking: I may not be a brian
      surgeon, but at least I don't
      make careless mistakes

Vehicle
      2013 Dart , Bright Silver, 1.4 turbo, Dual Dry Clutch
      Mods
      K & N drop in filter
      Liked
      732 times
      Mentioned
      61 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Replacing the TCM definitely seems to be the most serviced item on the DDCT. A pain, but an easy fix. Hardware/software problem? I seem to remember someone having a problem with transmission lines leaking (?). Seems rare. Maybe a mistake on the assembly line? Pretty Boy Floyd's ongoing problem with the transmission overheating also seems a little rare but could also be a problem that could affect the performance and longevity of the transmission.
      using WD 40 for cologne

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3871 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by longtimemopar View Post
      Replacing the TCM definitely seems to be the most serviced item on the DDCT. A pain, but an easy fix. Hardware/software problem? I seem to remember someone having a problem with transmission lines leaking (?). Seems rare. Maybe a mistake on the assembly line? Pretty Boy Floyd's ongoing problem with the transmission overheating also seems a little rare but could also be a problem that could affect the performance and longevity of the transmission.
      The transmission in his car was replaced even before he purchased it (though he didn't find this out until later). His overheating issues could be the result of a marginally poor dealer install (it's a good bet his was the first DDCT they'd ever swapped out). He's also had the TCM replaced. The TCM issues that require replacement are hardware related, either they unable to hold the programming, or they are unable to maintain communication with the rest of the ECU. If it's just a software problem, a dealer reflash will correct it.

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is Renegade!

Vehicle
      Jeep Renegade Latitude - 2.4 Multi Air FWD
      Mods
      none
      Liked
      396 times
      Mentioned
      58 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I would like to hear from more owners with the 1.4 turbo/DDCT. Have you had DDCT problems? Have you had no problems? How many miles on your car? How do you drive? (aggressive, baby it, etc.) I apologize if this is considered taking over Pretty Boy Floyd's thread. If it is, maybe it could be moved.
      With respect to these questions, here's my answer/feedback:
      Have you had DDCT problems? No
      Have you had no problems? correct, I have not had any issues with the DDCT transmission.
      How many miles on your car? Blue has 38,000 plus miles on her
      How do you drive? (aggressive, baby it, etc.) I can drive it aggressively but for the most part I drive it like I would anything, hard when I'm in a hurry, Aggressively when I'm pissed, and like a commuter the rest of the time, getting from point a-B with out a lot of drama. My oil change sensor/indicator turns on every 9,000 miles on average, which suggests I don't drive it as hard as some.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      make careless mistakes

Vehicle
      Mods
      K & N drop in filter
      Liked
      732 times
      Mentioned
      61 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Just re-read Laguna Blue. 9,000 miles on an oil change? That must be some dirty oil when it's changed.
      using WD 40 for cologne

Banned
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      13 1.4T DDCT SXT *pending buyback* 03 1.8T VW Jetta 02 2.8 VR6 VW GLX
      Liked
      2462 times
      Mentioned
      121 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      In my other modded VW 1.8T I change the oil every 7,500-9,000 miles and she runs better than new at 187K miles. Long drain intervals are not a problem for any ACEA-rated A3/B4 oil or racing oils like Redline or Motul 300V.

Laguna Blue likes this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Chillin'

Vehicle
      '13 Dodge Dart Aero Maximum Steel Metallic
      Mods
      Injen CAI Graphite lightweight wheels 55W HID's at 5000K Red LED interior lamps
      Liked
      212 times
      Mentioned
      21 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Just re-read Laguna Blue. 9,000 miles on an oil change? That must be some dirty oil when it's changed.
      If I answered those questions, it would be pretty much the same as his responses. I filled it up with 38091 miles at the pump today, drive about the same but maybe a wee bit harsher. Oil still looks peachy when I get the changes. I'm about 5k since my last change now and it's golden.

Oh, except for is it the first DDCT I've had. My Smart had a single-plate electric clutch and I drove it the same. I haven't had any trans issues with either. The Smart made it almost to 60k before it died due to getting stuck in flood waters.
      Last edited by SylenThunder; 06-05-2015 at 03:12 AM.
      HID Upgrade Guide

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
      but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      make careless mistakes

Vehicle
      Mods
      K & N drop in filter
      Liked
      732 times
      Mentioned
      61 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
      If I answered those questions, it would be pretty much the same as his responses. I filled it up with 38091 miles at the pump today, drive about the same but maybe a wee bit harsher. Oil still looks peachy when I get the changes. I'm about 5k since my last change now and it's golden.

Oh, except for is it the first DDCT I've had. My Smart had a single-plate electric clutch and I drove it the same. I haven't had any trans issues with either. The Smart made it almost to 60k before it died due to getting stuck in flood waters.
      I changed my oil a few days ago at 7000 miles and it was black. I'm sure the lubricating properties of the oil remain for a loooong time, but the crud that might build up in filter seems like it could reduce your oil pressure.
      using WD 40 for cologne

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

is Renegade!

Vehicle
      Jeep Renegade Latitude - 2.4 Multi Air FWD
      Mods
      none
      Liked
      396 times
      Mentioned
      58 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I follow the owners manual recommendations to a T. I'll admit I watched the oil like a hawk for my first couple intervals, but since those went well I just check the levels after a good car wash and dry... All has been great and given the price for the oil changes I am more than happy to only have to do them every 9k.

I also only ever run ExxonMobile 87 octane in the tank, 30k plug change indicated very nice clean plugs that could probably have gone another 10-15k.

Feel horrible about @Pretty Boy Floyd problems, I'm sure they were caused by the service that happened prior to his purchase of the vehicle, sad part is they probably replaced the tranny in err0r (it was most likely something computer related) and that then turned into everything else...
      Last edited by Laguna Blue; 06-05-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      make careless mistakes

Vehicle
      Mods
      K & N drop in filter
      Liked
      732 times
      Mentioned
      61 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Yes, if you only read PrettyBoyFloyd's posts you would think the Dart was a horrible car..I'm not putting him down. It sounds like he has had really bad experiences with the car. After we had the TCM replaced last year, we have had no problems and our car is pretty much optioned out.
      We could start a whole new web site about oil, oil changes and different brands of gas.
      using WD 40 for cologne

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3871 times
      Mentioned
      211 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Laguna Blue View Post
      With respect to these questions, here's my answer/feedback:
      Have you had DDCT problems? No
      Have you had no problems? correct, I have not had any issues with the DDCT transmission.
      How many miles on your car? Blue has 38,000 plus miles on her
      How do you drive? (aggressive, baby it, etc.) I can drive it aggressively but for the most part I drive it like I would anything, hard when I'm in a hurry, Aggressively when I'm pissed, and like a commuter the rest of the time, getting from point a-B with out a lot of drama. My oil change sensor/indicator turns on every 9,000 miles on average, which suggests I don't drive it as hard as some.
      These would basically be my answers except that I only have 24,000kms on my car, and I do scheduled oil changes every 6 months (which is usually about 6000kms). It's easier for me, because I do them myself, and having the light come on when it's -25C out would be unpleasant. I just wait for oil to go on sale and buy it when it does. It's not like it's going to go bad sitting in my garage for 3 months!

My DDCT has never had any problems except for its original programming, and that was more a bad design choice. It sacrificed driveability in favor of ultra-aggressive fuel economy. It would short-shift every gear in normal driving, would be in 6th at like 35mph, and you would basically have to go to WOT to convince it to downshift. They updated its shifting behavior in mid-2013 and it corrected these issues. Now it's very responsive and it will hold gears easily. It also downshift out of 6th with slight throttle pressure. I personally love my DDCT. I hope it proves reliable, but then I have no reason to believe that any Dart transmission will prove more reliable than the others in the long run.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links