1.4T MPx bored throttle body. - Page 2
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

1.4T MPx bored throttle body.

This is a discussion on 1.4T MPx bored throttle body. within the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir Turbo Engine Mods forums, part of the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir Turbo category; Originally Posted by Exitus04 Hello all, I was starting this thread to find out if there is anyone else who has a 2015 dart with ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 1.4T MPx bored throttle body.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 1.4l Turbo 6-spd manual Citrus Peal
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Exitus04 View Post
      Hello all, I was starting this thread to find out if there is anyone else who has a 2015 dart with a 1.4T engine also has the MPx bored throttle body...

I bought one and installed it on Friday... Since then I have had a CEL P2173 "Throttle actuator control system: high air flow detected" along with a flashing tps light on my dashboard. All this topped with a higher idle... I do have alfaOBD, and did the tps relearn procedure.

I need to hear from anyone with a 2015 or newer 1.4t as the ECUs are different. I will also be talking to MPx directly to see if I may have gotten a faulty throttle body.

*UPDATE*

I spoke with MPx directly, and they are sending me a new bored throttle body on the off chance that the one I originally received was faulty. If the new one fixes my problem, then we know what the issue was... IF not, than I will be working a little more closely with MPx to figure out why the 15s ECU does not allow for more airflow into the intake manifold without throwing a CEL. It seems to me that dodge may have altered the parameters on the ECU to have the values more concise and within a certain margin which would be smaller than the 12-13 ECUs.
      Since we now know that the Dart only used MAP to monitor, I can now say that this is not an air Flow code as you are perceiving it to be.

The code you are seeing is basically telling you that you either have a massive Vacuum leak, Faulty sensors on your TB, and/or faulty MAP sensor or sensor wiring.

The Beauty of MAP based systems is that they Don't monitor air flow, just air Pressure. So you can Fool them with larger turbo's and larger inj's and they will just hum along not knowing anything has changed as long as the pressure it sees is acceptable
      First mod ; Boost and AFR gauges
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -2 1/2" custom charge pipes
      -Custom (1 off) GTX2060 turbo
      -Custom 3" CAI

My 40mpg summer DD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is What to do next?

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart Aero 1.4L Turbo w/ 6-speed Manual Trans.
      Mods
      CHECK THE SIGNATURE PUNK!
      Liked
      1713 times
      Mentioned
      260 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by ig2mdThwifsDart View Post
      Since we now know that the Dart only used MAP to monitor, I can now say that this is not an air Flow code as you are perceiving it to be.

The code you are seeing is basically telling you that you either have a massive Vacuum leak, Faulty sensors on your TB, and/or faulty MAP sensor or sensor wiring.

The Beauty of MAP based systems is that they Don't monitor air flow, just air Pressure. So you can Fool them with larger turbo's and larger inj's and they will just hum along not knowing anything has changed as long as the pressure it sees is acceptable
      I didn't say there was a maf sensor... but that's cool. I didn't literally install and swap out 3 different brand new bored throttle bodies and get the exact same problem every single time.

I did the testing and found that there is a difference between the 13s ECU and the 15s... Like I said before, I am guessing that they changed the parameters. I am not "perceiving" anything... I know the code I read and checked it with the dart FSM. (Please see the attached)

I don't know why it works the way it does, but there is obviously some difference between the 13 and 15 ECUs to cause this issue when swapping to a larger throttle body, and not that much larger at that.

Sent using a rotary phone
      FOR P0299 CODE: REPLACE YOUR BOOST SOLENOID EITHER VIA THE DEALER OR OEM REPLACEMENT...

1 of 81 BUILT IDENTICAL

Mods:
      - MPx Intercooler Pipes
      - Custom Built 3" SRI w/ K&N cone filter
      - Stock Wastegate Adjustment (8mm)
      - RRM Lightweight Pulley
      - DRP Race Dump
      - AEM Boost Gauge
      - CravenSpeed TB Spacer
      - ECS Tuning Catch Can on the line from the PCV to the intake manifold
      - 17"x 7" Konig Control Matte Black Rims
      - BF-Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires
      - Black Bezel Headlight Swap
      - RRM Ultimate Stage 3 Tune
      - Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors
      - Cravenspeed Short Throw Shifter
      - XenonSupply 6000K HID headlights
      - Progress Rear Sway Bar
      - Energy Bushings
      - Moog Front & Rear End Links
      - Deyeme Flex Rear Engine Mount
      - Deyeme CDV Delete
      - HPSI Silicone Vacuum Hose Kit
      - Red Plasti-Dipped Crosshair, Fog light accents & "Mouth" grille
      - AGS Assembly Removal
      - Bosch Alfa Romeo 4C CoilPacks
      - 27" x 7" x 2.5" Upgraded FMIC
      - RRM Hi-Flow Cat Downpipe
      - PTP Turbo Blanket
      - Heat Wrapped Cold Intercooler Pipe
      - Weathertech In-channel Air/rain Deflectors
      - Squadra Sportiva Carbon Nero S shift knob
      - Moog Front Wheel Bearings
      - Oracle Red Halos
      - Forge Atmospheric BOV
      SOON TO COME: MTD Cam, Exhaust Manifold, Turbo & Tune

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I didn't say there was a maf sensor... but that's cool. I didn't literally install and swap out 3 different brand new bored throttle bodies and get the exact same problem every single time.

I did the testing and found that there is a difference between the 13s ECU and the 15s... Like I said before, I am guessing that they changed the parameters. I am not "perceiving" anything... I know the code I read and checked it with the dart FSM. (Please see the attached)

I don't know why it works the way it does, but there is obviously some difference between the 13 and 15 ECUs to cause this issue when swapping to a larger throttle body, and not that much larger at that.

Sent using a rotary phone
      Dude, you Really need to try and remember what you post. Your level of misinformation is astounding, and that's why I Remember Who posts What!

Direct quote from this thread, post 16....You! https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...le-body-2.html

"Now you are right to a certain extent here... cause the 2015 and newer models have both a MAP AND MAF sensors on them... I know that because I had issues with my MAF sensor when I built my intake... And I agree that @ 160hp and 185TQ that the 1.4T does make decent power... but that is all done by the multiair system... Which was designed with both economy and performance in mind. They state in their explanation video that the multiair system was designed to get the best HP & TQ ratings while using the smallest amount of fuel.

I know that since you are working on a 2013 it is a different story, but what I have found is that you really cant stray too far away from factory parameters with this car as it gets really upset and will throw CELs for pretty much everything it doesnt like. UNLESS you are running a tuner... but if that be the case then you WILL see gains from the ported TB because the tune will be (hopefully) written for it.

So its kinda a were both kinda right in different ways here... you are 100% right for the 2012-2014 models since they dont have MAF sensors... but the 2015+ have MAF sensors and can see that added airflow... And when it comes to the predetermined AFR, yes they will adjust themselves to make the AFR right again but if the CEL is on and the car goes into limp mode then it overrides the commanded AFR and just puts the car into a safe tune that cannot be altered. " Exitus04

So it was indeed You who told me that the 2015 Darts had MAF sensors, which I found hard to believe, but hey, I had no proof otherwise so I let it slide.

Just Glad it finally got straightened up and one less piece of misinformation out there!
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is What to do next?

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1713 times
      Mentioned
      260 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Dude, you Really need to try and remember what you post. Your level of misinformation is astounding, and that's why I Remember Who posts What!

Direct quote from this thread, post 16....You! https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...le-body-2.html

"Now you are right to a certain extent here... cause the 2015 and newer models have both a MAP AND MAF sensors on them... I know that because I had issues with my MAF sensor when I built my intake... And I agree that @ 160hp and 185TQ that the 1.4T does make decent power... but that is all done by the multiair system... Which was designed with both economy and performance in mind. They state in their explanation video that the multiair system was designed to get the best HP & TQ ratings while using the smallest amount of fuel.

I know that since you are working on a 2013 it is a different story, but what I have found is that you really cant stray too far away from factory parameters with this car as it gets really upset and will throw CELs for pretty much everything it doesnt like. UNLESS you are running a tuner... but if that be the case then you WILL see gains from the ported TB because the tune will be (hopefully) written for it.

So its kinda a were both kinda right in different ways here... you are 100% right for the 2012-2014 models since they dont have MAF sensors... but the 2015+ have MAF sensors and can see that added airflow... And when it comes to the predetermined AFR, yes they will adjust themselves to make the AFR right again but if the CEL is on and the car goes into limp mode then it overrides the commanded AFR and just puts the car into a safe tune that cannot be altered. " Exitus04

So it was indeed You who told me that the 2015 Darts had MAF sensors, which I found hard to believe, but hey, I had no proof otherwise so I let it slide.

Just Glad it finally got straightened up and one less piece of misinformation out there!
      There is a MAF sensor on my dart... and ill show you.

If you see the picture below you should look at the red circle and it shows (on my engine) a new sensor that is connected to the hose from the PCV to the intake. That sensor is NOT present on any 2013 dart engine.
      Name:  sensor.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  435.9 KB

If @alpinegreenneon wants to try and look up what that sensor is via the FSM then he can let you know what it is.

As for not remembering what I posted from almost a year ago... my bad, I forgot... but yes we all remember what everyone else posts I guess what we find ourselves skeptical about what they are saying. Speaking of, hows that 300+hp big turbo build coming? or did you give up on it? There is a post here that shows you sold your dart to someone else here?
      Last edited by Exitus04; 02-13-2019 at 02:27 PM.
      FOR P0299 CODE: REPLACE YOUR BOOST SOLENOID EITHER VIA THE DEALER OR OEM REPLACEMENT...

1 of 81 BUILT IDENTICAL

Mods:
      - MPx Intercooler Pipes
      - RRM Lightweight Pulley
      - DRP Race Dump
      - AEM Boost Gauge
      - CravenSpeed TB Spacer
      - Progress Rear Sway Bar
      - Energy Bushings
      - Deyeme CDV Delete
      - AGS Assembly Removal
      - PTP Turbo Blanket
      - Oracle Red Halos
      - Forge Atmospheric BOV

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      747 times
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

If @alpinegreenneon wants to try and look up what that sensor is via the FSM then he can let you know what it is.
      That looks more like some kind of evap component. A MAF would be located somewhere in the air intake before the throttle body. @Exitus04 can you see a part number on that component or can you tell us the wire colors? I cropped and enlarged your pic of the component to see more detail but this is still not enough:

Name:  dartmysterysensor.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  47.7 KB

Here is a schematic from TechAuthority.com of the 1.4 intake air. I see no MAF sensor.

Name:  intakeair14schematic.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  275.0 KB

For comparison of wire colors, here is the evap schematic.

Name:  evapsystem14schematic.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  92.3 KB

And last but not least, the PCM pinout. If there is a MAF I do not see it.

C-1
      Name:  PCM-14-C1b.jpg
Size:  118.7 KB
      Name:  PCM-14-C1c.jpg
Size:  93.7 KB

C-2
      Name:  PCM-14-C2b.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  131.5 KB
      Name:  PCM-14-C2c.jpg
Size:  125.0 KB
      ig2mdThwifsDart likes this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      18 Ram 1500 3.6 4x4 Std Cab Delmonico Red stock

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2016 Dart GT
      Liked
      101 times
      Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I dont know what that is but MAF sensors are usually the size of your intake ducting and just where alpine stated...between the airbox and the TB.

Here is a picture of one i just orderd:
      Name:  8610055-TOP__ra_p.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  89.1 KB
      Mods
      Road Race Motorsports Stage 1 Kit
      Modified Stock Intake With K&N Filter
      Muffler Delete
      Aero Paneling Delete
      Deyeme Rear Mount (Firm)
      AVS In Channel Visors
      Interior and Underbody LEDs
      Dipped Emblems, Sport Hood, Wheel Caps and Front Lip
      Front Lip, Sideskirts and Rear Diffuser.
      12" JBL GT-BassPro

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is What to do next?

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1713 times
      Mentioned
      260 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by alpinegreenneon View Post
      That looks more like some kind of evap component. A MAF would be located somewhere in the air intake before the throttle body. @Exitus04 can you see a part number on that component or can you tell us the wire colors? I cropped and enlarged your pic of the component to see more detail but this is still not enough:

Name:  dartmysterysensor.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  47.7 KB

Here is a schematic from TechAuthority.com of the 1.4 intake air. I see no MAF sensor.

Name:  intakeair14schematic.jpg
Size:  275.0 KB

For comparison of wire colors, here is the evap schematic.

Name:  evapsystem14schematic.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  92.3 KB

And last but not least, the PCM pinout. If there is a MAF I do not see it.

C-1
      Name:  PCM-14-C1b.jpg
Size:  118.7 KB
      Name:  PCM-14-C1c.jpg
Size:  93.7 KB

C-2
      Name:  PCM-14-C2b.jpg
Size:  131.5 KB
      Name:  PCM-14-C2c.jpg
Size:  125.0 KB
      I will do what i can about getting a closer picture to see if there is a part# on there or see the colored wires... All I know is when I disconnected that sensor it threw CEL P04DB something about the airflow for the crankcase vent system... I dont remember exactly. But even still... IF the 15s don't have a MAF sensor, that still doesnt explain how the bored throttle body caused the CEL P2173... there would have to be some sort of airflow sensor to read the added +7% airflow that the bored throttle body allows. That being said maybe the throttle bodies have a sensor in them as well?

The only other thing I could think of is that when speaking with Modern they did tell me that certain times they had issues with their bored throttle bodies flapper getting stuck when the car hit operating temp. But after testing 3 different BRAND NEW bored throttle bodies I would think that a "bad batch" situation would be eliminated as they hand build these throttle bodies.

1 of 81 BUILT IDENTICAL

Mods:
      - MPx Intercooler Pipes
      - RRM Lightweight Pulley
      - DRP Race Dump
      - AEM Boost Gauge
      - CravenSpeed TB Spacer
      - Progress Rear Sway Bar
      - Energy Bushings
      - Deyeme CDV Delete
      - AGS Assembly Removal
      - PTP Turbo Blanket
      - Oracle Red Halos
      - Forge Atmospheric BOV

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      394 times
      Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      There is a MAF sensor on my dart... and ill show you.

If you see the picture below you should look at the red circle and it shows (on my engine) a new sensor that is connected to the hose from the PCV to the intake. That sensor is NOT present on any 2013 dart engine.
      Name:  sensor.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  435.9 KB

As for not remembering what I posted from almost a year ago... my bad, I forgot... but yes we all remember what everyone else posts I guess what we find ourselves skeptical about what they are saying. Speaking of, hows that 300+hp big turbo build coming? or did you give up on it? There is a post here that shows you sold your dart to someone else here?
      Again, be more Careful what you post. Assuming some random sensor is a MAF sensor and then spreading misinformation helps No one.

Also, getting upset because someone corrected you multiple times doesn't help either.

As for selling Darts, I've built and sold 1/2 doz now, but they are all 2.4/Auto with one odd ball 2.0/Auto because I know the 1.4l Needs the 6spd manual and even then, Most don't know how to drive a small displacement turbocharger mtr in a 3000+lb car. If you found a thread (I wasn't aware) did you take the time to read if it was a 1.4l turbo?

The Wife will never sell her Citrus Dart, specially after it's modified. As I stated before, I have other more pressing priorities and I'm hoping by spring I will be at the end of them. (3 last project on the go as we speak)

I Will bolt up that turbo and prove once and for all whether this platform can be successfully modded for 250+WHP, just don't know when
      -AGS Delete
      -Big FMIC
      -Custom 3" CAI

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is What to do next?

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1713 times
      Mentioned
      260 Post(s)
      Tagged
      2 Thread(s)
      Again, be more Careful what you post. Assuming some random sensor is a MAF sensor and then spreading misinformation helps No one.

Also, getting upset because someone corrected you multiple times doesn't help either.

As for selling Darts, I've built and sold 1/2 doz now, but they are all 2.4/Auto with one odd ball 2.0/Auto because I know the 1.4l Needs the 6spd manual and even then, Most don't know how to drive a small displacement turbocharger mtr in a 3000+lb car. If you found a thread (I wasn't aware) did you take the time to read if it was a 1.4l turbo?

The Wife will never sell her Citrus Dart, specially after it's modified. As I stated before, I have other more pressing priorities and I'm hoping by spring I will be at the end of them. (3 last project on the go as we speak)

I Will bolt up that turbo and prove once and for all whether this platform can be successfully modded for 250+WHP, just don't know when
      The only reason that I am upset is because you came into my thread, which I have put months of work into testing and basically said "NOPE, you're dumb... There is NO way that it can be what you are saying" When like I said, i tested 3 different brand new bored throttle bodies and all 3 of them caused the same CEL.

As for the other member who said they bought a dart off you, they did not specify what it was so I was just honestly asking. We have all been waiting to see you do this turbo modification.

Now, I KNOW for a fact that this engine can make up to 430+whp there are Punto Evo 1.4t built in Greece that are making this power right now... BUT these are EXTREMELY modified. I talking full internal replacements, camshafts, bigger turbo, injectors, exhaust manifolds... etc and the one big thing that you said that you dont need... a tune.

1 of 81 BUILT IDENTICAL

Mods:
      - MPx Intercooler Pipes
      - RRM Lightweight Pulley
      - DRP Race Dump
      - AEM Boost Gauge
      - CravenSpeed TB Spacer
      - Progress Rear Sway Bar
      - Energy Bushings
      - Deyeme CDV Delete
      - AGS Assembly Removal
      - PTP Turbo Blanket
      - Oracle Red Halos
      - Forge Atmospheric BOV

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is Probably at work

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero 1.4t 6 speed automatic DDCT
      Mods
      16" Touren TR60 black w/ red ring PlastiDipped K&N Typhoon SRI GFB DV+ ll Madness coil packs
      Liked
      18 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Oof.

Came here for TB info... Ended up trading the dart for a Huffy BMX with some sweet pegs on the back.

Less trouble.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links