Dodge Dart Forum banner

New 2013 Dodge Dart Owner.

9K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  AndreaLee 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am new to the forum and I look forward to what other owners experiences are.

I purchased a 2013 Dart on 12-30-13. It was built in September of 2013. I love the car so far and after owning a Jeep for 10 years I chose to stay with Chrysler products. However this weekend disappointment hit me when my check engine lite came on already.

I have a Black Sporty looking Rallye with 2.0L VVT, and powertech 6 speed trans. Back up camera, moon roof, uconnect touch screen w/out nav.

Anyway 1045 miles on it and my first trip to dealer results in a reported need to replace the (PCM) Powertrain Control module.

I thought wow that is pretty unusual for a brand new car. So I have found info on the web about this being an issue with these cars but what I read is it is mostly with the Turbo engines. Wonder why mine is already a fail. The car was running fine other than some occasional low idle which seemed as if it might stall. Gas mileage in the 35 range combined. I put about 75 miles to work and back each day.

I must admit this has me concerned moving forward. I went brand new over used in order to avoid reliability issues. I really didn't expect this out of a brand new car and am quite disappointed about it. I guess at least it is covered but I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

What makes it worse is I come from a ford family and they already pick on me for liking Chrysler products. This just adds fuel to the fire. Ughhh

Anyone else have this issue? How did it work out for you?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your Dart.

I bought my 1.4 turbo Rallye 11 months ago. Rolled 28,000 miles last week and only issues have been an exhaust gasket leak and touchscreen rebooting occasionally.
My Dart was built in July of 12. Sat on two dealer lots before I got it. Guess no one in my area wanted a manual trans. Lol
Hope the new PCM takes care of the issue and your Dart doesn't let you down, again.

#4 ·
Extra bucks from who? No charge for warranty work.
Unless the O.P. then payed for an extended warranty from the dealer out of fear.
That would be cold and heartless of any dealer...

#8 ·
Congrats on the DART. and welcome to the forum, lets hope that's the only issue you will have.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone! I picked up my Dart a few hours ago and drove it about 25 miles to test it out. Runs great. They seem to have fixed the issue. The park idle isn't as low as before which I am happy about cause I was worried it might stall. Hopefully that was my one and only glitch.

#12 ·
Well not even one week has passed since getting the Check Engine Light taken care of and PCM replaced and check engine light is on again. Brand new car should not be doing this. Another trip to dealer on Monday. Getting old already. Going to start looking at Lemon laws in NY State just to be prepared.

#16 ·
My Dart has been in shop for 2 days and they apparently are in communication with Chrysler because they have an issue with it they haven't encountered yet with any Dart's they have sold. They are saying possible bent engine rod. I assume they mean piston rod. Must be the check engine is throwing that as a code. Not sure how they came to that conclusion. They say they can fix the problem but want to be sure it is really the issue before tearing the motor down. I don't blame them. They can't understand why or how it could have a bent rod. Neither can I. The car seemed to be running fine other than one episode of severe hesitation and occasional hesitation at idle since CEL had been on.

#17 ·
Just disappointing. Not sure how I am going to trust the car moving forward. Thankfully it is covered. I hope they don't have it too long and I can get it fixed and have no further issues. Time will tell. I almost freaked out when he said engine rod. Crazy had it 1 month and 1,500 miles and 2 pretty big issues. Seems crazy.

#24 ·
Today dealer said they were going to do a boreoscope to look at the cylinders. I ask more about what they are doing and he says because the codes were for misfires in the engine. They say all the ignition/electrical end checks out so that leads them to possible internal engine issue. So they will stick a camera into my engine and see if it is in issue internally. What I can't understand is what is taking them so long to finalize diagnosis. I thought I would hear today on results but no dice. Just wish things moved more quickly.

I really find it hard to believe that It could be internal engine parts gone bad. The car didn't tick or clunk or knock or anything of the sort. It hesitated/sputtered really bad one time for about 5 seconds before I gave it some gas and then ran fine. Then some occasional spits at idle after CEL came on. They say if it is internal they will replace the engine. I just find it odd that last week I got the PCM replaced due to CEL and now its major problems. Odd. Maybe the PCM wasn't bad in the first place and that is the reason for the CEL again.

Either way It sucks to be without the new car and not knowing how long or what they are doing or are going to do. I hope they give me an answer tomorrow.

#26 ·
I would have thought they would have done it yesterday. I really wish I knew what the delays are all about. Wonder if they need permission from Chrysler for every step or what. I am trying to be patient. Just wish I had the car I bought 1 month ago and am paying for. My whole point for trading in our other car (Chrysler Sebring) was to not have to worry about time in the shop. I am regretting that decision now. Should have just waited. I will post what I am told today if I even hear from them at all.

#28 ·
They said today that the scope did show scoring and the engine will need to be taken out to fix it. He said that Chrysler has authorized the bottom engine block be replaced. (The part containing the pistons and such.) The service manager at the dealer said they will discuss just getting a new replacement engine to put into the car which is what he would rather do and had a few other questions for the engineer at Chrysler. They said it wouldn't be till at least Monday before he had definitive answers and time frames as Chrysler is slow about responding. Either way he said they would have to wait for parts to get in. He tried to re-assure me that they can handle this repair and not to worry. Easier said than done.

My luck out of 40 cars on the lot I pick one with an engine issue. Crazy.

#29 ·
It's gotta be a helpless feeling, sorry to hear!
What did they give you to drive?
Agree with AndreaLee, insult to injury if you make the $.

#31 ·
I have thought about asking Chrysler about compensation. I just don't know who to talk to. The local dealer has pretty much made it out that it is Chrysler's responsibility and not theirs. They are handling the repair and loaner car for me right now. They aren't offering to swap or buy back the car. Apparently when you buy a brand new car no matter how soon it has problems it becomes the manufacture's issue and they are responsible to fix it. I was really hoping they would have offered to buy back the car and get us on the right path. That would have been excellent customer service. I guess that only happens in a dream world.

The service department has been in touch with me daily during week days on status so not a lot to complain about there. Pretty much they said today they are still waiting to see if Chrysler will approve the new engine. I really wish that Chrysler would be quicker about things. I really would hate to use the LEMON LAW but I will if things end up going there.

In NY I think I read these are the qualifications;

if you are 30 days without your car, or repairs decrease the value of the car to the consumer, 4 attempts to repair the car.

So far 8 days in the service department. Only owned the car 36 days as of today. So haven't even driven it 1 month yet.

I will post updates as they happen.

#33 ·
I have been updating progress in another thread under the 2.0L Tigershark engine. My car issue is at the highest level with Chrysler since I sent the e-mail and they are working with the dealer to repair the car. I am keeping fingers crossed that this will all be resolved soon I hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.