Dodge Dart Forum banner

Sorry I purchased a 2015 Dodge Dart!

16K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  Rhapsody 
#1 ·
Purchased a 2015 Dodge Dart Limited that sat on the dealers lot for almost a year. My first mistake! Water spotted everywhere that Cyclo buffing barely removes. Now issues with a foul smell under the hood & inside the cabin. Smells like sulfuric acid which would point anyone with a brain toward the battery. Well, the dealer claimed the A/C condenser was smell and moldy. Hum...that's news to me. Cleaned the air ducts (?) with a product called Frigi Cleam and let the heater run for 20 minutes & claimed the smell was gone. Guess what, in 20 minutes of driving the smell is back, even worse. It does not smell like the Chinese hose issue that most RAM owners are experiencing. This definitely smells like acid. Staying in the car, sunroof open, dash vent on lower blower speed will literally make you sick: I have puked twice due to this irritant. Yet the Dodge dealer claims it's in the ducts. Running the climate control on "AUTO" seems to lessen the order, probably due to the cold air. Turn the A?C off and guess what, stinks again. Any suggestions from other members? Car has only 800 miles on the odometer.

#40 ·
Perhaps FCA needs to hire properly training experienced techs. How about an old-fashioned grease monkey with many years experience. I hate new cars with remove and replace everything rather than really troubleshoot. And customer service? They claim they don't get paid enough for that. My attorney states Chrysler knows of all the issues with Darts but are just hoping owners will get frustrated and go away. I am in it for the long haul now: you screw with the bulls, you get the horns. At least my rolling billboard might provide some negative feeling at the dealership. The GM said "thank you" when I emailed him pictures of the decorated Dart. Go figure... Vehicle Car Yellow Automotive design Personal luxury car
Yellow Vehicle Car

#41 ·
Perhaps FCA needs to hire properly training experienced techs. How about an old-fashioned grease monkey with many years experience. I hate new cars with remove and replace everything rather than really troubleshoot. And customer service? They claim they don't get paid enough for that. My attorney states Chrysler knows of all the issues with Darts but are just hoping owners will get frustrated and go away. I am in it for the long haul now: you screw with the bulls, you get the horns. At least my rolling billboard might provide some negative feeling at the dealership. The GM said "thank you" when I emailed him pictures of the decorated Dart. Go figure... View attachment 54669 View attachment 54670
THIS IS GOLDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post of the year right here

#44 ·
@BadDart2015 -

I still contend that your issue is with Folsom Lake CJDR ... and not with FCA, Dodge, or Dodge Customer Care.

I'm guessing the dealership sold you a '15 Dart with a weak / almost dead battery (you stated it sat on their lot for almost a year) ... and that their service advisors, technicians and/or management are completely incompetent (you stated FCA told them to replace the battery but they refused because they deemed 10.75 volts was OK).

I've heard/read numerous bad reviews & complaints about the service department at Folsom CJDR ... both before & after they changed ownership (earlier this year):

Vehicle Car Building Automotive tire Real estate

Here's hoping the dealership that you are dropping it off at on Tuesday (9/1/15) will replace the f-n battery ... and your odor / stalling issues will be behind you!

Now ... with all that stated, we (here on this forum) have only heard your side of the story (i.e., you've yet to post any Folsom CJDR Service invoices / work orders) ... and the "tone" of almost every one of your posts is one of somebody with a case of "buyer's remorse" just looking for a reason to get out from under your "nightmare purchase".

#45 ·
@BadDart2015 -

I still contend that your issue is with Folsom Lake CJDR ... and not with FCA, Dodge, or Dodge Customer Care.

Now ... with all that stated, we (here on this forum) have only heard your side of the story (i.e., you've yet to post any Folsom CJDR Service invoices / work orders) ... and the "tone" of almost every one of your posts is one of somebody with a case of "buyer's remorse" just looking for a reason to get out from under your "nightmare purchase".
this, and THIS! great post.

#46 ·
I did not have any buyers remorse until the car started acting poorly after 2 weeks of ownership. Now I am sorry I purchased this excuse for a car. Shutting off for absolutely no reason and having the steering lock up would give anybody with a sane mind buyers remorse. Until you have experienced what I have gone through with this Dart, no one has a right to make any sort of judgement calls. Perhaps not all Darts are as bad as this one, but this is the one I bought in good faith. It was not sold that way!

#47 ·
Calm down man. We all buy cars in good faith, heck we buy most everything in good faith, otherwise we wouldn't buy it. Just because a vehicle is new does not mean it's not going to have problems, and just because you have a warranty isn't a guarantee that the dealership will fix any problem that arises. This is why many people never buy cars new, you're paying more for the stupid warranty that rarely pays off. That's with any manufacturer, not just Dodge.

Yes, you got a crap deal, I don't think anybody here is arguing that. Is there a 30-day happiness clause in the agreement? There was with mine that's why I ask. If you're not happy with the car you can return it to the dealership, perhaps a few dollars less. Is it too late for that?

If it is, the way I see it you have two options. One is to continue this uphill battle with potential lawyers and court dates. The other is to drop the whole damn thing and fix it yourself.

#51 ·
Same in Pennsylvania. In my opinion, that law reeks of retailer protectionism. Every product should have a cooling off period. If the reason for dislike is even half-way valid. I think it all gets down to the manufacturer NOT being willing to compensate dealers properly and lavishly enough. If there was a cooling-off period that was deemed "justified" by the "squeaky-wheel" method, all that would have to happen is for the mfg. to compensate the dealer for half of the depreciation of re-selling as preowned, and believe me.... the dealers would be ECSTATIC about you returning your car. Lots would be filled with great "used" low-mileage DEALS. Like Sears with their "Scratch & Dent" appliance department. You think those appliance deals are only due to being scratched and dented? ROFL. They are 99% returns of faulty appliances. I work for a small dealer of appliances and we can't afford to take losses like that. The mfg's do not compensate anything for a lemon. The appliance HAS to be fixed. But, the Big Chain stores take it on the chin and let consumers return appliances like a pair of pants at Walmart.
Just sayin'.
I have no Idea what lawmakers or lobbyists came up with the "No Cooling Off Period" in car buying.

#49 · (Edited)
@BadDart2015 -

The only judgement calls I made were about the Folsom Lake CJDR service dept.

That stated, I am a bit curious why you joined a forum (for 2013+ Dodge Dart enthusiasts) ... with a username of "BadDart2015" ... and have only posted in your introduction thread entitled "Sorry I purchased a 2015 Dodge Dart!"?

I originally thought you maybe joined to seek the advice of fellow '13+ Dart owners on how to best resolve the issues you are experiencing with your Dart and your dealership ... but in hindsight, I'm thinking you just joined to vent your frustrations and bad mouth FCA, Dodge, and the 2013+ Dart ... ???

On a somewhat related note, a colleague of mine purchased a $70K Porsche Cayenne SUV:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Motor vehicle

... less than a month after she bought it, she complained of a strong sulfur smell ... on the way to the dealership to have the issue diagnosed, it stalled on her, the (electronic assisted) power steering quit working, the brake pedal became difficult to press, and the instrument panel flickered ... She had the car towed to the dealership ... after a week in the shop, they ended up only replacing the battery (they determined that a plate had broken loose and was causing an internal short) ... She hasn't had any other issues with her Porsche since then ... but believe me, that week while it was in the shop had her bad mouthing Porsche and vowing to never buy a German car again (i.e., she had a case of "buyers remorse").

Again ... I hope the 2nd dealership can resolve all of your Bright White 2015 Dodge Dart LIMITED's issues ... and if not, that the lemon-law buy-back process goes smoothly for you!

#58 ·
Took the Dart (fart) to a recommended dealership. They were patient, listened to my concerns and said they would try & get FCA to pay for my rental car (which had to be another Chrysler product!). Addressing the odor: found many plastic stickers (about 4 X 4) on the exhaust pipe near the catalytic converter that were burning (wish they had caught fire). Stickers applied as parts travel down the assembly line and apparently are designed to fall off. Guess what, they don't! Still have a residual odor but it might burn off. The shut down nonsense: checked every ground in the car and of course could not duplicate but knew of the issue. Now, everything electrical in the car has gone haywire. Alarm sounds for no reason, climate control doesn't know what doors to open in the HVAC system (likes defrost the best!) and the automatic high beams display comes on during the day with the lights off! These issues are way more than a gremlin on board. This is poor design and a poor product. Have forwarded all the paperwork to my attorney and hope this dangerous car will be taken off the road ASAP. It is certainly not safe to drive.

#64 ·
@BadDart2015 -

Sounds like during their attempts to solve your odor issues, the Folsom Lake CJDR service dept. messed up your Dart's electrical system.

Also curious if either dealership checked for exhaust leaks? ... as catalytic converters can & do emit rotten egg / sulfur odors.

Please post your service "paperwork" (with your personal info redacted) from Folsom Lake and/or Elk Grove CJDR.

Reactions: pkgmsu2000
#59 ·
Wow that is one messed up dart. I've heard a few stories about an electrical cable being crushed causing it odd problems. But this right here is the worst I think I've head yet of a bad dart. I think some of this is just manufacturing defects of a new model car. I know there was a dart in the 70's but that's different. modern manufacturing definitely has its pluses and minuses.
But did any of these problems show in a test drive?

#60 · (Edited)
@BadDart2015 -

Sounds like during their attempts to solve your odor issues, the Folsom Lake CJDR service dept. messed up your Dart's electrical system.

Please post your service "paperwork" (with your personal info redacted) from Folsom Lake and/or the last dealership to work on your Dart.

P.S.: Did either dealership check for exhaust leaks? ... Catalytic Converters can & do emit rotten egg / sulfur odors.

#62 ·
Elk Grove Dodge claims battery, charging system and all grounds are okay. I am at wits end. I did not purchase a new car for it spend most of its life in the service department of Dodge dealers. I bought a new car for reliability which this car has not shown at all. I am tired of renting cars, bumming rides from others because I do not trust this car at all. I will continue to pursue a buy-back and move on to a much more reliable vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.