Motorcycle Enthusiast Thread - Page 2
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

Motorcycle Enthusiast Thread

This is a discussion on Motorcycle Enthusiast Thread within the Motorcycle Forums forums, part of the Off Topic Forum category; 2014 Indian Chief Classic If I have to explain. You wouldn't understand....

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Motorcycle Enthusiast Thread

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is what it is

Vehicle
      15 Limited
      Liked
      40 times
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Name:  IMG_0264.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  2.31 MB
      2014 Indian Chief Classic
      If I have to explain. You wouldn't understand.
      Thor likes this.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT Auto Bright White
      Mods
      Driver Mod
      Liked
      613 times
      Mentioned
      43 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by youngsmith53 View Post
      got my PA Motorcycle permit last Friday, going to a four day class at the end of April for my official PA motorcycle license... just in time for end of spring and summer (if I can get a cheap bike lol)
      YS, Have you ridden motorcycles at all before? I had no experience before I got my license.

I got my license about 3 years ago(I'm 32 years old now, I've been wanting it since I was 12). Took the MSF class at the local community college for a whopping $25. It was the 3 day class....Friday lecture, Saturday on the bikes, and Sunday more training then road test. Best $25 I have ever spent. They hook you up with 150-200cc bikes to ride.(See attachment). Once you get the hang of these small engine bikes, you will have no problem taking on any motorcycle.
      Name:  Motorcycles.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  88.6 KB

The written test is so easy my cat could pass it. Just common sense questions and a few questions about mechanical operations. The driving test is easy/moderate IMHO. You will get points deducted for putting your foot down at the wrong times, driving outside the designated lines, or lack of control of the bike. Even with a few mistakes you will still pass.

Don't let people tell you "You can't start off on "insert bike here" it's too much power!". "You need to start with a 250 or 500!". Those are the same people that crash their car on a dry summer day. I started on a 2006 GSXR 750 that was heavily modded and have never felt the power was too much to control. Older carbed sport bikes were known for having a pesky powerband causing unintentional wheelies but all newer bikes are FI and the powerband is much smoother.
      youngsmith53 likes this.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is Glorious

Vehicle
      Citrus Peel Pearlcoat Rallye w/ 2.0L Powertech
      Mods
      Wrapped Injen CAI w/Volant VS, RRM LWP, Borla/Thrush custom exhaust, RE16MC, DMR Mounts
      Liked
      3988 times
      Mentioned
      599 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      @Killraven the only time I was ever on a bike was at the beginning of this month (and I'm 32 lol) when I was out in Milwaukee for work and I hopped on our Harley Davidson Jumpstart and it was awesome. Went through the gears and it was something I've never experienced before. Came home showed the wife the video my co-worker took of me on the bike and she saw the smile I had on my face. I started studying the PA permit test which was all common sense and passed the permit test last week. But yeah, at the end of April it will be my first real time on a bike in a controlled environment.

As far as what bike I want to get... I have no idea. I have some ideas, but I also have to keep it budget friendly. I'm trying to find a nice used Buell Blast on craigslist if I can for this summer and then upgrade a few years down the road into a nice cruiser Road King or something a long those lines so the wife can be comfortable as well
      Killraven likes this.
      YoungSmith53 / Aya Build Thread
      To make the .org enjoyable, follow the .org guidelines, use the new and improved reputation system (star button at bottom left of post) & the new and improved .org search.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Driver Mod
      Liked
      613 times
      Mentioned
      43 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Killraven the only time I was ever on a bike was at the beginning of this month (and I'm 32 lol) when I was out in Milwaukee for work and I hopped on our Harley Davidson Jumpstart and it was awesome. Went through the gears and it was something I've never experienced before. Came home showed the wife the video my co-worker took of me on the bike and she saw the smile I had on my face. I started studying the PA permit test which was all common sense and passed the permit test last week. But yeah, at the end of April it will be my first real time on a bike in a controlled environment.

As far as what bike I want to get... I have no idea. I have some ideas, but I also have to keep it budget friendly. I'm trying to find a nice used Buell Blast on craigslist if I can for this summer and then upgrade a few years down the road into a nice cruiser Road King or something a long those lines so the wife can be comfortable as well
      I only ended up with my GSXR-750 because I got a hell of a deal from my cousin who is the original owner. It was $5,000 with 5k miles on the odometer and it was modded pretty good. It was an incredible deal at the time. I could still sell it for over $5,000 today. That is one good thing about motorcycles, they tend to hold value better than cars. I picked up my 400 dual sport last summer and that is my favorite bike. It's not too fast, not too slow, comfortable, and I can take it anywhere. I have plans to do some camping trip adventures with it this summer. It's also a lot less stressful driving on dirt and back-roads since there are less automobile drivers to worry about hitting you. Driving in the congested city gives me anxiety sometimes because people are so blind to bikes.

The Suzuki SV650(s) is always a good budget friendly choice for a first bike. You can also find many of the bikes from the 80's, early 90's that sound pretty cool for a decent price. It all depends what you want out of the bike. For example, do you want to putt-putt around the city, go across state lines on a roadtrip, or just cruise around and enjoy the road. Do you want a heavy bike or a lighter smaller bike? I'm sure you have done lots and lots of research so I don't need to talk too much about it.

You want the honest truth about my GSXR-750 and all modern "crotch rockets"? They are a novelty, not something you put miles on or to enjoy the open road.
      Pros:
      - Handling. Easy to ride and takes curves like a champ.
      - Braking.
      - The sound of a high revving inline 4 cylinder. 16,000 rpms baby!
      - Knowing you can beat 99.9% of the cars on the road.
      - Adrenaline. Pure unadulterated adrenaline. That is the only reason I keep the bike honestly.

Cons:
      - Comfort. Position of seat, pegs, handlebars do not make a comfortable ride.
      - Small fuel tank. Something like a 150 mile range.
      - It's simply too fast for public roads. When 1st gear exceeds the highway speed limit it's hard to really open her up and row through the gears. That is what I find most enjoyable, going through the gears.
      youngsmith53 likes this.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is Glorious

Vehicle
      Citrus Peel Pearlcoat Rallye w/ 2.0L Powertech
      Mods
      Wrapped Injen CAI w/Volant VS, RRM LWP, Borla/Thrush custom exhaust, RE16MC, DMR Mounts
      Liked
      3988 times
      Mentioned
      599 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      @Killraven thanks for the tips and ideas for getting a bike, any and all knowledge is useful right now. It's nice to see someone else that is getting into riding in their late 20's/early 30's. I always wanted to get my license too... I'm just happy I have the opportunity now to do it.
      Killraven likes this.
      YoungSmith53 / Aya Build Thread
      To make the .org enjoyable, follow the .org guidelines, use the new and improved reputation system (star button at bottom left of post) & the new and improved .org search.

Master Mechanic
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Mods
      Driver Mod
      Liked
      613 times
      Mentioned
      43 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Killraven thanks for the tips and ideas for getting a bike, any and all knowledge is useful right now. It's nice to see someone else that is getting into riding in their late 20's/early 30's. I always wanted to get my license too... I'm just happy I have the opportunity now to do it.
      The number one tip I can provide is look far ahead and look to where you want the bike to go. You will see many videos of people flying straight off the road on a curvy road because they get fixated with their eyes on something and not the road.

Another thing that new riders might find weird is that turning the handle bars left does not make the bike go left. However, at low speeds(under 15mph) turning left does make the bike turn left.

So in order to turn left you would push the left handlebar forward and the right handlebar back towards you. If you want to go right, push the right handlebar forward and the left handlebar back towards you. They call this counter-steering. On a typical bicycle or mountain bike you never encounter this because you don't have enough weight and speed for it to occur.
      youngsmith53 likes this.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Rallye 1.4T 6MT (DD) Other - 91 volvo 240 (project#1), 2003 Honda VFR800
      Mods
      None
      Liked
      27 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Current Bike: 2003 Honda VFR 800 ABS
      Name:  20160311_221549_zpsmeruciam.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  263.9 KB

Last Bike: 2004 Yamaha Roadstar 1700
      Name:  ROADSTAR001.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  189.7 KB

First Big Bike: 1978 Honda GL1000

First Bike to ride was a Honda Trail 90. I've forgotten the year. But my father and I would take it and his Trail 110 hunting. The 90 had a granny low switch on the gear box that would let it climb damn near any slope on the mountain or pull a dear out of the sticks. I need to go dig that bike out of the shed and rebuild it.
      Killraven likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links