Dodge Dart Forum banner

Few Questions regarding cars and gas in tank

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  klockmi 
#1 ·
I was always curious about a few questions with cars and the gas that is contained in the tank and I wonder if you guys could answer them.

1) What if you have half a tank with regular gas and decide you want to fill it up to full and use premium. Could that hurt the car in anyway having a mix between the two types of gases? Has anyone ever done it before?

2)How long should gas be kept in the tank. Now this would never apply to me, but for example let's say you were in the army and got shipped to a far away country for 6 months. I imagine it wouldn't be good for the car to leave a tank of 3/4 gas in the car for that entire 6 months. When you know you won't be using your car for a long time are you suppose to somehow drain it. Or drive it close to empty? If so, this goes back to the first question of would even having a little above empty effect the car?

#3 ·
So if you had 93 in the tank and then used 89 does that mean you now have 91 octane?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.