Dodge Dart Forum banner

Second gear - hard to get into

9K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  thatd0mguy 
#1 ·
From all the reading I have done I don't think there is much that I can do about this however I have to ask. I have a 2013 dart SXT with a 6 speed manual. I just got it about a month ago and this part has been bothering me. It is only happening when I shift into second.

If I drive in grandma status it seems to shift just fine. If I drive any quicker than that it seems that I have to use a little bit more force (I don't think it should be that hard to shift). I read that maybe replacing the transmission mount might fix it, well at least smooth it out. I am I the only one with this issue? Or is it possible that I am overlooking something.

#2 ·
Trying to describe the shift feeling over the internet is subjective and very difficult. some things you may want to try is pull your shift boot surround up and check to see if maybe one of your shift cable adjustments are loose or binding while shifting. Are you hearing any sounds or getting feedback via the stick shift when going from 1 to 2nd? pulsing or grinding? What about the rest of the car is there any bucking or any other noticeable feedback from the car?

When the car is off can you shift the gears easy or is there still resistance?

#3 ·
I will agree with you as being difficult to describe, however I will try my best. I will check to see if where is anything that might be interfering with the shift when I get home so I will report back once I figure that out. In terms of sounds or any feedback...yes. When shifting from 1st to 2nd driving slowly and shifting at a lower RPM there is no sound other than what should be there. Feedback, there seems to be a little resistance from wanting to go into 2nd. However if I give it a little more of a nudge it will go right in.

Now if I were to increase the speed and RPMs of the shift, that's when things are more difficult. No noticeable noise other than just having it sound like it hits a wall and doesn't want to move. I can get it in if I pull harder OR wait maybe 1-2 seconds, then it will go right in. No pulsing or grinding. The only grinding was due to my own fault. That happened when I shifted as you normally would, however it was the first time that I came across this problem. I let the clutch up a tad to soon and maybe had a second or two of a grinding session.

Other feedback from the car, the car seems to buck more than I think it should. It will only happen in first or second in stop and go traffic. Almost makes me look like I don't know how to drive.

I have not tried shifting while the car is off. It didn't occur to me to try that. I will try that once I get out of work.

#4 ·
I want to lean that maybe your shift cables are out of alignment somehow or need adjusted. You may also want to check the shift linkage on the transmission itself for wear and tear on the the transmission side ball joint mount on the other end of your shift cables to make sure they are in good condition. It doesn't sound like your getting the proper amount of throw.

Also check to make sure that the gate on top of the shifter that is held down with 4 screws is secure or tight and that the springs are attached.

also just for completeness check your clutch fluid level.

trying to work from the outside to the transmission. Hopefully your 2nd gear synchronizer isn't brass bits in the transmission pan.

If you look up craven speed short throw shifter on their website they have pictures of install of a short shifter install and can be used for refrence to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

https://docs.google.com/a/cravenspe...y5TGJFdfOtaRaxGs8exMwvvWOTNmpXH9VG1rh54VI/pub

#5 ·
Awesome! Thank you for the info. I plan on eventually getting a STS, just haven't decided on which one. I figured if anything was wrong that might be one way to correct it. It might even be an excuse to buy it sooner than later.

I will check out the cable and all that fun stuff when I have some free time, possibly this weekend. I will update later when I have some more info. Thanks again!

#6 ·
Yeah this is the most technical issue ive tried working on in a while. i really want to dig in and see what you find. Good luck with your search. after you fix this issue then i would look into a STS. cant go wrong with them.

#7 ·
I have a slight issue going into third from time to time, a short throw shift didn't solve my issue, but it didn't make it worse either- it stayed the same. Just giving some knowledge, who knows what'll happen.

#8 ·
holy moly this is another great thread for troubleshooting issues. i can shift into 2nd fine 90% of the time, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd is a real pain the @ss with this car. i dont hear any grinding or funny noises, i just find that 2nd to 3rd is rarely a smooth shift. i agree, not easy at all to describe on a message board. and ive asked the dealer many times to pull my boot off and check for interferences, but of course, they wont. it also doesnt help that my last stick car was the CSRT4 with one of the smoothest, easiest clutches ive ever driven. with the manual trans dart, ive just kind of accepted that it is what it is and my only recourse is buying a new aftermarket clutch, new flywheel, and replacing the synchros. not in the budget.

#10 ·
Finally got some time to report back. I tried shifting the car with the motor off. Second gear still had a little resistance to it. Even going between first and second constantly there is still some resistance. More resistance than any other gear.

I haven't had the chance to tear it apart and take a peek, however I will report back when I have a little more info. I hope that I can get to it tomorrow.

Reactions: youngsmith53
#11 ·
Everyone does realize, I hope, that 1st to 2nd is not a straight line back ?? It requires a left ever so slight tug..... 2nd to third should just pop-in with a non aggressive throw with the fingers. As I recall, mine didn't like to be "hamfisted" for some reason. The more casual the throw, the nicer it just slipped.......

#13 ·
Well it kinda is straight back from first. The slight left just makes sure you don't put it in fourth by accident. That's how I take it anyway.

#14 ·
I was able to get some pictures when I lifted the boot up. Everything looks fine to me. Auto part Vehicle Technology Engine Car

I mean it does look a tad dirty.

I don't have any plastic pretty tools...anymore. Only ones I had were for small electronics. Needless to say using those they broke.

I'll dig a little deeper when I have some better tools. I haven't crawled under to look at the transmission side of things mainly because I am lazy today. But I plan on getting under there and getting some pictures of that also.

#15 ·
well i looks like at least from the pictures theres nothing amiss. :/ sigh. well if you look and see everything is in order you may try some white lithum grease on all friction points to see if that clears it up.

#16 ·
How would I check the alignment in the cables? It almost feels as if something is catching. I'll get under maybe today and see if anything there is out of order.

#17 ·
Ok, so my day consisted of fixing the oven, fixing the lawn mower, mowing the lawn, and washing my car. So I never found time to crawl under and take a peek at it. I will report back when I find time.

#18 ·
The bucking issue I had went away. I feel kinda stupid for the reasoning behind that. Since I purchased my I have been using 87 octane. I stumbled across the owners manual just the other day and noticed that it recommends 91 octane for the turbo models. So I gave my car a full fill up on the 1st of the month and first thing I noticed was the bucking at the lower RPMs seemed to have stopped. So maybe there is a connection between the two. I never fully understood the difference of 87 vs. 91 octane, other than one is a cleaner burn.

I still haven't crawled under to check on the linkage and what not on the transmission itself. However, it is on my to do list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.