Dodge Dart Forum banner

Clutch Pedal Issues - Stuck Down To The Floor

149K views 326 replies 86 participants last post by  daywalker 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just trying to get some feedback on an issue that I have seen in some other posts and I think it is a known issue.

I have been having an intermittent clutch pedal issue. When I get into it in the morning the clutch pedal will go all the way to the floor and stay there until I pull up on it with my hand or foot. I can then push on a couple of more times and then it will start to act correctly. It will feel a little spongy for a bit but after a few minutes of driving it starts to feel correct again.

Other people have mentioned the slave or master cylinder as the fix. Has this been confirmed?

I have had it at the dealer a few times now for this and of course it never happens for them. I have actually given them some info from this forum and they have used it in the past (turbo issue), so I gave them the info on this issue as well but they just don't want to "throw" parts at it. I showed them a video of the issue so they have at least seen that. I did have the shop foreman say something about a slave cylinder T.S.B. when he saw the video but they are saying that is in regards to a recall and not this issue.

They have supposedly contacted their technical group and I have also contacted Dodge Cares and have a case opened.

Once again, I know this has been posted about in the past but can anyone confirm a fix?

Thanks for any info or updates.

Mark

See less See more
#85 ·
Yes i knew that, however this issue is not with the clutch...master and slave cylinder is what a lot of people are having replaced

#87 ·
Same here, brought them print outs from here and showed them a video and they still couldnt/wouldnt do anything :(

#94 · (Edited)
Having the same issue the last couple of mornings where I have to pump the clutch pedal a few times for it to get back to normal. In the last 15 years of driving manual cars, I've only had one other hydraulic clutch failure and that was a 1992 Dodge Stealth with 180k miles on the clock.

Going to be taking mine into the dealer, 8500 miles is unacceptable for a hydraulic clutch failure.

#100 ·
Haven't really visited this thread in a while.... figured i might as well post an update.

Took my car in to the dealership about 2-3 months back to have a water leak issue fixed.... and to look into the clutch issue. They fixed the leak, but failed to actually dry the f*cking carpet (HOW that is possible is unknown to me), and couldn't reproduce the clutch issue, so couldn't fix it.

Immediately sent Chrysler an e-mail, and was contacted within days by both someone at Chrysler, as well as my dealership themselves. Took my car back to have the carpeting dried (which took a little over a week... and then to clean the car, they wet-vac'd it. Genius, huh?), and also so they could try to recreate the clutch issue while it was in their posession. Told them that it happened again about 1-2 days after dropping it off the last time where i went out to my car when i was leaving work, and the clutch barely came up off the floor, but was still driveable and able to be shifted. Lady who i'd been speaking to in their service department said that she has about the same work commute as me (30 miles one way), and if i wanted, she could drive it home at night, bring it back to the dealer, and then let it sit most of the day to try to recreate the same scenario in which I tend to experience the issue. After they realized that drying it was taking FOREVER.... they FINALLY offered me a loaner... which only wound up being for 2 days. I go and pick up my car... and compare the mileage that was on the car when i parked it in their lot to the mileage that was on it when i picked the car up..... 60 miles more than when i dropped it off on the nose. So... if anything, she drove it home once, brought it back, and that was the end of it.

Somewhere along this long process... my case was escalated. Can't remember exactly at what point... but yet again i contacted Chrysler, and was told to have them open up a Star case and take the car back to the dealership. E-mailed the lady at the dealership to inquire about this, and she told me she would talk to the service manager about it, and see about getting me a rental/loaner for the time they'd have the car. A week later, i get a call back from Chrysler asking if i had set up an appointment to drop the car off, and i said i never even got a response from the service manager. The lady at Chrysler called my dealership and left a message with the service manager... who basically called me back that same day, and told me the lady i had e-mailed at the dealership never talked to him about anything.

It's pretty bad when even the lady i've been speaking to at Chrysler admits that it's hard to get a hold of someone to talk to at my dealership.

Anyway... i'm scheduled to drop the car off again on Thursday morning. Still have to figure out if there'll be another car waiting for me... but that would actually require being able to talk to someone. To be honest, i'm hoping they CAN'T reproduce the issue or anything. I hate that i'm actually going to have to buy a pair of snow tires for the front of the car. :-/

#101 ·
Just another update for everyone on my situation.

Was able to get a loaner vehicle for the past couple days (Thanks to Chrysler). Dropped my car off on Friday last week, so they could apparently have someone from Chrysler look at my car, take it for a drive, try to figure out what might be wrong.

I get a call on Monday. Guy told me that he ordered a new master cylinder for the transmission (who'd have thought?). That apparently came in yesterday morning, and they put it in. Wanted to keep the car another day to do some more driving tests with it, make sure everything was working ok so far (since he knew that even with other people it tends to be an intermittent issue that's difficult to reproduce at will). Called me this afternoon, and said the car is ready to be picked up, everything seems to be functioning normally.

It's really annoying that i take the car to the dealer on two other occasions mentioning the issue with the clutch pedal.... saying to the people there that i've read that it's generally an issue with the master/slave cylinder on the transmission... and that it's an issue that Chrysler knows about and is common.... and yet both times they just give me the same old "can't reproduce, can't fix blah blah blah" excuse. Yet call the people over THEIR heads, and sh*t gets done.

#104 ·
...Yet call the people over THEIR heads, and sh*t gets done.
It's simple, the people over THEIR heads not only say, "Fix that car!", they also say, "Chrysler will pay for the repair..."

I've seen it many times through the years, a dealer will do ANY repair that Chrysler is willing to pay for. If there is any, or slightest doubt, they won't do it UNTIL you get Chrysler to say they will pay for it.

Glad you car is fixed.

#105 ·
So my clutch pedal went limp today. Flops around at about 1/4 travel from the floor. Won't decouple engine from tranny. 27,000mi. Towed to dealership, they can't get to it until Tuesday. Luckily they felt pity and set me up with a loaner Journey. Hoping it plays out with a positive result.

#109 ·
Own a 13 dart and having same issues with clutch sticking on floor after sitting several hours. First started with pedal slightly sticking and popping right back up. Went to leave for work this morning to have issue happen again so had it towed to dealership, they looked at it several hours after I brought it to them and called me to say that they couldn't find an issue with it. Told them I wasn't bringing them the car for the hell of it, considering I'm a mechanic of 14 years. They said they will keep it over night and check again in morning.

#110 ·
I just bought a 2015 Dodge Dart SE. Drove it home and parked it. The next morning the clutch pedal stayed on the floor when I started it. It has 70 miles on it and had to be taken back to the dealership. We noticed fluid under the driver side. My guess is the slave cylinder went out. I also noticed the brake fluid reservoir was empty. I can't believe this happened in the 1st 70 miles.

#113 · (Edited)
This is such bullshit.
I had the master cylinder replaced last August...it was fine until about a month ago, that's when it warmed up in the northeast. Going to the floor and getting stuck again. Less than a year on the part, 14k miles.

Does anyone know if this defective part was ever actually corrected?

#117 ·
anyone know the slave cylinder part number

#119 ·
From what i can tell the slave is integrated part of the throw out bearing. We do not have a fork style actuator and external slave, everything is one piece. Makes it a bitch to change because you have to drop the transmission. That is why the throw out bearing is so expensive is because its an integrated part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.