Dodge Dart Forum banner

Nine Speed Auto Still in the Works for Dodge Dart

8K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  biggestjohn 
#1 ·

In a press conference today at the Detroit Auto Show, Sergio Marchionne acknowledged that the 2013 Dodge Dart has been something of a sales disappointment for the company. Marchionne places the blame for the weak sales on the Dart’s available transmissions. He described the six-speed manual and the six-speed dual-clutch automatic that came shortly after as “not the ideal solution for this market." That was the biggest complaint across the auto blogosphere when the Dart launched and Sergio pretty much agreed with that today.

All is not lost though because the Dart will eventually see the ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic gearbox that will be seen first in the replacement for the Jeep Liberty this spring. Unlike the dual-clutch unit currently available, the nine-speed will be a conventional torque-converter that should better suit the needs of the American C-segment buyer. Judging from the forums here though, driving enthusiasts are loving the 6 Speed Manual and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cheers undfeated!!

Via: Car and Driver

See less See more
#2 ·

All is not lost though because the Dart will eventually see the ZF-sourced nine-speed automatic gearbox that will be seen first in the replacement for the Jeep Liberty this spring. Unlike the dual-clutch unit currently available, the nine-speed will be a conventional torque-converter that should better suit the needs of the American C-segment buyer. Judging from the forums here though, driving enthusiasts are loving the 6 Speed Manual and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cheers undfeated!!

Via: Car and Driver
9 speed transmission for Dart??? OMG!!!!!! o_O does it really need it?? Are they going to put 9 speed manual too??

#3 ·
Well apparently the performance of it is below of what it needs to be. I hope the GT is introduced with it!

#6 ·
Yeah it definitely will. I actually like that Dodge used the Hyundai Transmission, I think it will be super reliable. I will always love the American car brands the most, but Hyundai is starting to become a nice brand so they have my respect as well.

#7 ·
When I watched his press released I didn't take it as there being an issue with the 6-speed manual, just the DDCT (that is based off the manual)

But yeah, the 9-speed will be sweet, once they get the Liberty replacement up and running.

#9 ·
Holy Gear searching!

Honestly I don't really see the huge problem everybody notes on the DDC. I have adapted my take offs in first and second and except for the occasional lag I hardley notice it.
With a flash and mabey a go pedal of somekind in the future I am more than happy with the DDC.

#10 ·
It doesn't mean it will go through all 9 gears every time. It will choose the best one for the current situation

Just like the 8-speed in the Charger, 300, Ram, Grand Cherokee.

#14 ·
I don't see the dart getting this until mid to late 2014 if at all. The new 200/Avenger replacement is supposed to ride on a lengthened CUSW "Dart" platform. So from a development standpoint, if they were to put the 9 speed in the dart it would be developed and calibrated along side the the new midsize sedans and would be released at the same time.

If thats true, you will likely only see it coupled to the 2.4 because I dont think the Midsizes are going to get the 2.0 or the 1.4T. The odds of it getting put in the 2.0 cars is very low because it would economically make the cars even less profitable than they already are. (though the 2.0 would probably make the best use of the 9 cogs)

I could be wrong though, Sergio has in the past (Charger/300/Ram) been willing to trade profits for market share via dumping high tech into lower eschelon platforms

#21 ·
This trans should be brilliant, so long as the software programming is spot on. I suspect they'll get it right though.

Shift speed and gear selection should be crisp and intuitive.

Though I won't be getting this transmission in my GT (may not even be available when I'm buying) I think this fantastic transmission is just what the Dart needs to boost sales.

#22 ·
I'm actually kind of glad that sales have not been tremendous. I know it's stupid and selfish, but it makes a really nice Dart stand out in a crowd - because it's different. And I like that. Volume sales numbers are made by offering lots of reasonably priced generic looking and generic colored automatic smooth transmissions. Working people, young or old, don't want to have to think about driving when they're driving, so that's why. That's why the Chevy Cruze took off so strong in the beginning. Generic & Boring actually sells well in the marketplace. Look at Hyundai. Lots of "Home to Cubicle and Back" drivers who just want to blend in, tune out, and talk on their smartphone all the way to and fro. People, generally, are brain dead when it comes to appreciating good driving and good responding cars. They just want reliable and unoffensive. They prefer watercooler smutt-talk as opposed to being "into" their cars. Thank you Dodge and Chrysler for not realizing these facts early on. It allowed this money challenged guy to get a really cool looking,performing,and sounding car in his garage. Auto 9 speed? No no no no no....... silly shifting for every wave in the road. But it will sell.

#23 ·
so well said dad's dart

Reactions: dad's dart
#27 ·
Yup... it'll be a very smart transmission IMO. it'll have a gear for every situation... and that's the point, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.