About the Security and Data Breach Notification banner - Page 2
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

About the Security and Data Breach Notification banner

This is a discussion on About the Security and Data Breach Notification banner within the Dodge Dart News & Site News forums, part of the Dodge Dart Community category; Still seems like VS got your payment, and didn't know who to credit it to. The payment didn't come from your personal email address, and ...

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Like Tree8Likes

Thread: About the Security and Data Breach Notification banner

Administrator
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      34 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Still seems like VS got your payment, and didn't know who to credit it to. The payment didn't come from your personal email address, and that email wasn't referenced in the confirmation email sent to VS. It appears that they recognized this and reached out to you to make sure the correct account was credited. Since that's already been taken care of by the local staff, there shouldn't be any need to reply. Note that the email from Khanh wasn't to your email of record on your account here...it was to the email address the payment came from at 'codezero'.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is going to make a joke about
      sodium, but Na..

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT
      Liked
      158 times
      Mentioned
      27 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
      Still seems like VS got your payment, and didn't know who to credit it to. The payment didn't come from your personal email address, and that email wasn't referenced in the confirmation email sent to VS. It appears that they recognized this and reached out to you to make sure the correct account was credited. Since that's already been taken care of by the local staff, there shouldn't be any need to reply. Note that the email from Khanh wasn't to your email of record on your account here...it was to the email address the payment came from at 'codezero'.
      So ask for my Email, Username and IP address? What would Vertical Scope need with my IP address? And nowhere did it say they wanted to make sure my account was credited, he wanted to manually change my password on me, after getting my email, username and ip address... seems VERY fishy.
      pkgmsu2000 likes this.
      1 of 787

My 501(c)3 Charity - Cigars For Warriors

Engine
      Autolite Coppers, MOPAR CAI, MOPAR Heated Washer Nozzles, Ram Air Kit

Exterior
      "GLH" red pin striping, "Bullet" Antenna, Red Vinyl Wrapped Crosshair, Plasti-Dipped badges, MOPAR Vent Visors, GT Sport Hood, Tinted Windows / (Soon) Plasti-Dipped rims, Tinted Headlights/Taillights, Red Brake Calipers, Custom Functional Heat Extractor (in progress)

Interior
      Screen Protector, Husky Liners / (Soon) Illuminated cup holder

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is CDV HAS BEEN DEFEATED!!!!

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart Aero 1.4L Turbo w/ 6-speed Manual Trans.
      Mods
      CHECK THE SIGNATURE PUNK!
      Liked
      1435 times
      Mentioned
      188 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
      So ask for my Email, Username and IP address? What would Vertical Scope need with my IP address? And nowhere did it say they wanted to make sure my account was credited, he wanted to manually change my password on me, after getting my email, username and ip address... seems VERY fishy.
      GIve em your social too!
      MJZ likes this.
      FOR P0299 CODE: REPLACE YOUR BOOST SOLENOID EITHER VIA THE DEALER OR OEM REPLACEMENT...

1 of 81 BUILT IDENTICAL

Mods:
      - Forge BOV Plate
      - MPx Intercooler Pipes
      - Custom Built 3" SRI w/ K&N cone filter
      - Stock Wastegate Adjustment (8mm)
      - GFB DV+ Valve
      - RRM Lightweight Pulley
      - DRP Race Dump
      - AEM Boost Gauge
      - CravenSpeed TB Spacer
      - ADD W1 Catch Can on the line from the PCV to the intake manifold
      - 17"x 7" Konig Control Matte Black Rims
      - BF-Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires
      - Black Bezel Headlight Swap
      - Unichip Tuned (Custom Tune)
      - Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors
      - Cravenspeed Short Throw Shifter
      - XenonSupply 6000K HID headlights
      - Progress Rear Sway Bar
      - Energy Bushings
      - Moog Front & Rear End Links
      - Deyeme Flex Rear Engine Mount
      - Deyeme CDV Delete
      - HPSI Silicone Vacuum Hose Kit
      - Red Plasti-Dipped Crosshair, Fog light accents & "Mouth" grille
      - AGS Assembly Removal
      - Bosch Alfa Romeo 4C CoilPacks
      - 27" x 7" x 2.5" Upgraded FMIC
      - RRM Hi-Flow Cat Downpipe
      - PTP Turbo Blanket
      SOON TO COME: Ported TB

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Administrator
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      34 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Email and username makes perfect sense to me....that's the only way they could properly identify your account here! IP would only serve to verify that the account matches all the info we have. IP addresses are actually pretty weak in that regard, as they rotate among different users all the time...unless you have a static IP with your ISP, it will change every time you log into your ISP. This is even more variable when using a mobile browser. I've seen accounts with literally dozens of posting IP addresses in their histories, and this is quite normal.

IMHO, the only reason you're concerned here is that you bypassed the confirmation and identification of the correct account by having a mod update your member status manually. Had you not done that, this email would have been the correct path to correcting and properly updating your account here. Again, to me, it has every indication of being a case of VS being proactive in making sure you were properly credited for your membership, as opposed to having your money floating around in VS books with no idea to whom it belongs, or how to properly assign it.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is going to make a joke about
      sodium, but Na..

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart GT
      Liked
      158 times
      Mentioned
      27 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
      Email and username makes perfect sense to me....that's the only way they could properly identify your account here! IP would only serve to verify that the account matches all the info we have. IP addresses are actually pretty weak in that regard, as they rotate among different users all the time...unless you have a static IP with your ISP, it will change every time you log into your ISP. This is even more variable when using a mobile browser. I've seen accounts with literally dozens of posting IP addresses in their histories, and this is quite normal.

IMHO, the only reason you're concerned here is that you bypassed the confirmation and identification of the correct account by having a mod update your member status manually. Had you not done that, this email would have been the correct path to correcting and properly updating your account here. Again, to me, it has every indication of being a case of VS being proactive in making sure you were properly credited for your membership, as opposed to having your money floating around in VS books with no idea to whom it belongs, or how to properly assign it.
      Let me know if or when you locate this "Khanh" person and verify his involvement / employment with Vertical Scope.
      Thank you.
      1 of 787

My 501(c)3 Charity - Cigars For Warriors

Engine
      Autolite Coppers, MOPAR CAI, MOPAR Heated Washer Nozzles, Ram Air Kit

Exterior
      "GLH" red pin striping, "Bullet" Antenna, Red Vinyl Wrapped Crosshair, Plasti-Dipped badges, MOPAR Vent Visors, GT Sport Hood, Tinted Windows / (Soon) Plasti-Dipped rims, Tinted Headlights/Taillights, Red Brake Calipers, Custom Functional Heat Extractor (in progress)

Interior
      Screen Protector, Husky Liners / (Soon) Illuminated cup holder

Administrator
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      34 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I have requested that confirmation back with your first message. I'll reply here when I've heard back.
      MJZ likes this.

Administrator
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      34 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I have verified that the email you received was indeed from the Vertical Scope accounting department, and was sent for precisely the reasons I suspected and related above. To wit: your PayPal email address and your forum email address are not the same, therefore, they contacted you through your PayPal account address to ask which forum account you were paying for. The need for that was addressed when the local staff changed your account to reflect the payment, making accounting's inquiry irrelevant.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

is 29K+ high-enjoyment miles! :)

Vehicle
      2014 Dart SXT Rallye 2.4L TigerShark 6-spd Manual w/Sun & Sound Group, True Blue Pearl
      Mods
      Window Tint: 30% front, 15% rear
      Liked
      35 times
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Your skepticism was highly called for MJZ. I would have acted the same way. ANYONE asking for an IP address should instantly raise a red flag for any user, even if ISP's do assign public IP's to customers via DHCP. Most broadband users in the U.S. don't "log-in" to the ISP (no authentication required beyond the initial modem activation); we live in an ever-connected world. DHCP lease expiration/renewal is probably going to cause IP's to change more often than coming offline and online.

Regardless, we all need to change our passwords not just here but for any other accounts that we have weak passwords and/or haven't changed passwords in over, let's say, a year. BTW, strong passwords of 16 characters or longer are considered "secure". (Not really, but kinda sorda. Lol)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links