Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

Clutch smell

This is a discussion on Clutch smell within the Dodge Dart Mechanical Problems forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Pit Row category; Hey All, This is my first "Brand new" car with a Manual transmission. I've noticed that after I drive the car for a while, especially ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Clutch smell

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Dodge Dart Limited 1.4 L Multi-Air Turbo w/ 6-SPD Manual
    Mods
    CAI (Sort Ram), IC, Charge Pipes, Turbo Blanket, PD Rims, Red Calipers, De-badged, 20% Tint
    Liked
    54 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch smell

Hey All,

This is my first "Brand new" car with a Manual transmission. I've noticed that after I drive the car for a while, especially if I drive it hard I get a smell like war dirty feet... I've confirmed it's a clutch smell with some other people who have had it in new cars before... well I'm going on 4 months and 3600+ miles and I still get the smell after about 60 mins of normal driving, 40 mins of hard driving... I'm just wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has had clutch smell issues?

Hey maybe I'm just going crazy and it's all in my head :-P
    '13 Dart 1.4L Multi-Air 6-SPD Manual http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4020329/2013-dodge-dart/

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is Why Zoom-Zoom when you can
    Roar-Roar

Vehicle
    Black Dodge Dart SXT 2.0 6M/T SXT Special Edition Group
    Mods
    Why so i can get to work faster?
    Liked
    44 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think i experience that, but i find my vents blow some stink sometimes when i first turn them on.
    Maybe you're a little long holding the clutch. You should avoid holding the gas and clutch at the same time.
    Just spitballin here. But maybe it's worth a quick trip to the dealer if it's concerning.

Supporting Member
    Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
    is a lot tougher online

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual
    Mods
    MPx strut tower brace, shorty antennae, K & N drop-in filter, and a few stickers for performance....
    Liked
    478 times
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're riding the clutch too much, it's gonna smell.. What type of hard driving are we talking about here?
    I hope your not resting your foot on the pedal as you drive....these pedals are very touchy and slight pressure on the clutch when not shifting will heat the clutch up pretty quick.
    syoung27 likes this.
    2013 Dart Rallye
    Redline Pearl
    Black/Diesel Interior
    17x7.5 Silver Wheels
    1.4L Multi-Air Turbo
    6 speed manual
    8.4in.Touchscreen Sat/BT
    Popular Equipment Group
    Backup camera
    Tinted Windows(Dealer installed)
    Spoiler(Dealer installed)
    MPx Strut tower brace

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dart Rallye 1.4T DDCT
    Liked
    55 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or if your FFS it that could cause the smell. My mazdaspeed 3 was the only car where the stock clutch held and never smelled no matter how hard or how much I FFS. (Flat Foot Shifting)

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Mods
    CAI (Sort Ram), IC, Charge Pipes, Turbo Blanket, PD Rims, Red Calipers, De-badged, 20% Tint
    Liked
    54 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely not riding the clutch, my foot is typically on the dead pedal... Nor am I Flat Foot shifting... I'm shifting like normal. The hard driving I'm referring to is downshifting more often to accelerate quickly to *slightly above the speed limit to pass frustrating drivers/traffic. I could see the potential of me holding the clutch "too" long due to the fact that the RPMs are significantly higher than typical driving and I don't need to let the clutch out as gently... but other than that I can't see any reason that I'd be putting additional stress on the clutch (aside from shifting more often).

I have noticed a significant down-tick in the smell of late I've not had it in about 2 weeks, but I've also been driving with the sunroof open and the windows down now that it's nice out here.
    '13 Dart 1.4L Multi-Air 6-SPD Manual http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4020329/2013-dodge-dart/

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L Turbo in Tungsten Metallic
    Liked
    85 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... i'm assuming it COULD be the downshifting, depending how slowly you're letting off the clutch.

Which reminds me of something funny. Was behind a guy in a convertible Porsche the other day at a traffic light, both of us waiting to turn left. Had my windows open, and as i saw a gap coming up that he was able to drive through, i heard his engine revving. I'm thinking to myself "My god, learn how to drive stick". And it wasn't a fairly low rev, either. and if i remember correctly, he was slowly letting off the clutch. And then on top of that, he was rather slow going through the light. Freakin guy didn't know how to drive his Porsche, unless he was already going pretty fast.
    syoung27 likes this.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is Why Zoom-Zoom when you can
    Roar-Roar

Vehicle
    Black Dodge Dart SXT 2.0 6M/T SXT Special Edition Group
    Mods
    Why so i can get to work faster?
    Liked
    44 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elementaldragon View Post
    Well.... i'm assuming it COULD be the downshifting, depending how slowly you're letting off the clutch.

Which reminds me of something funny. Was behind a guy in a convertible Porsche the other day at a traffic light, both of us waiting to turn left. Had my windows open, and as i saw a gap coming up that he was able to drive through, i heard his engine revving. I'm thinking to myself "My god, learn how to drive stick". And it wasn't a fairly low rev, either. and if i remember correctly, he was slowly letting off the clutch. And then on top of that, he was rather slow going through the light. Freakin guy didn't know how to drive his Porsche, unless he was already going pretty fast.
    I was driving beside and older guy in his Camaro SS today. We weren't racing but by the sound of our cars we were having a little fun up to the speed limit. His shifts were so bad i could count the seconds between gears and hear his engine lose all its revs or gain plenty. Im sure he was going 15-20km/h before he even let the clutch all the way out going through 1st.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Mods
    Liked
    54 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I'm going to have to pay more attention to my shifts...

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L Turbo in Tungsten Metallic
    Liked
    85 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea.... downshifting can be helpful in both keeping your speed down if you're going down a hill, as well as a quick boost of speed if you're trying to pass... but for the latter, I really don't feel like it's the healthiest thing to do for the clutch on a regular basis.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Mods
    Liked
    54 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I was watching my shifting as I was driving around today, and the only two things I can think of is that either whatever was causing the smell burned off OR it could be related to downshifting too much causing strain on the clutch, either way I'm going to keep an eye out (well nose) for the smell and see what I find; Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads