help with check engine light?
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on help with check engine light? within the Dodge Dart Mechanical Problems forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Pit Row category; My 2013 dart sxt has a check engine light on as well as the traction control light. the traction control light only goes on after ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By alpinegreenneon

Thread: help with check engine light?

Newb
      Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 dodge dart sxt
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

My 2013 dart sxt has a check engine light on as well as the traction control light. the traction control light only goes on after i start driving it. it doesnt turn on every time i drive but when it does happen, the car slows down as if i had downshifted and will not go past 35 mph. i scanned for codes and it brought up P0344. So i went to a napa store near me and they sold me 2 camshaft position sensors, part number CSS1248. ive attached pictures of the code on the scanner and of the sensor that was sold to me. I replaced the easily accessible one on march 10th and everything was good up until today. the lights came back on and same symptoms. I havent put a scanner through it yet but im expecting the same codes.any advice on how to take change out the sensor thats farthest away from you as youre standing in the front?? also, could it be anything else other than the sensor?Name:  1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  28.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  33.8 KBName:  scanner.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  33.0 KB

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      251 times
      Mentioned
      34 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      If you have P0344 that code is specific for Bank 1 Sensor 1 of a 2.0 engine. If you have a 2.4 engine, there is only one cam sensor.

From the FSM:
      There are two Camshaft Position Sensors on the 2.0L (ECK) engine. The (1/1) Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor (2) is mounted to the front face of the cylinder head on the same side as the exhaust camshaft. The (1/2) Intake Camshaft Position Sensor (1) is mounted to the rear face of the cylinder head on the same side as the intake camshaft. Both sensors are located nearest the number four cylinder end of the engine. Both sensor connectors have three wires.

Name:  dart20CMPsensors.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  38.6 KB

You do not need to touch the cam sensor on the intake (rear) side of the head. There would be different code for that sensor. Take that extra sensor back to the store or keep it for a spare. When an intermittent fault occurs, the problem is the usually the wiring or the connector. Removing and replacing the sensor made the problem appear to correct itself because you moved the wiring around. You will need to look for continuity or shorts to ground in the wiring to that sensor. Here is the schematic:

Name:  dart20ignitionschematic.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  70.6 KB

It is possible for an aftermarket sensor to be bad from the box. I usually get oem sensors that are critical like the CMP sensor. What the FSM lists for a P0344:

P0344-CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT - BANK 1 SENSOR 1

Name:  dart20P0344.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  85.9 KB

There is a caution in the install instructions:
      CAUTION:
      Install camshaft position (CMP) sensor utilizing twisting motion. The sensor o-ring should be lubricated with clean engine oil. Make sure CMP sensor is fully seated. Do not drive CMP sensor into the bore with the mounting bolt. This may cause CMP sensor to be incorrectly seated causing a faulty signal or no signal at all. The mounting bolt should be tightened to 9 N·m (79.5 in. lbs.).
      Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 03-20-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added caution info
      Bullfrog likes this.
      -Case

16 Dart SXT 2.0 TorRed stock
      16 Dart SE 2.0 Laser Blue Pearl stock
      98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
      95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
      03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock

Sponsored Links