2.4L Oil Consumption
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

2.4L Oil Consumption

This is a discussion on 2.4L Oil Consumption within the Dodge Dart Maintenance forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; Howdy all, 2014 2.4 MT, 39K miles. Never had any mechanical issues...until now. Driving home last night, CEL came on. "Well, oil life is down ...

User Tag List

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart SXT w/Rallye package 2.4L, 6-speed manual
      Liked
      38 times
      Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

2.4L Oil Consumption

Howdy all,
      2014 2.4 MT, 39K miles.

Never had any mechanical issues...until now. Driving home last night, CEL came on. "Well, oil life is down to 12%. Let me just check." Oil BARELY registered on the dipstick. I had to put in 2 quarts of oil to get it into the middle of the hash marks. I've never had a problem with the car burning oil (at least no CEL) until now.

Has there ever been a definitive explanation for this? I've searched through the forums and have read some possibilities. Just nothing definite.

What bothers me the most, is that I bought the car new, have followed all the maintenance reminders, and never have had the problem until now.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3175 times
      Mentioned
      162 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by doobie40 View Post
      Howdy all,
      2014 2.4 MT, 39K miles.

Never had any mechanical issues...until now. Driving home last night, CEL came on. "Well, oil life is down to 12%. Let me just check." Oil BARELY registered on the dipstick. I had to put in 2 quarts of oil to get it into the middle of the hash marks. I've never had a problem with the car burning oil (at least no CEL) until now.

Has there ever been a definitive explanation for this? I've searched through the forums and have read some possibilities. Just nothing definite.

What bothers me the most, is that I bought the car new, have followed all the maintenance reminders, and never have had the problem until now.

Any insight would be appreciated.
      MultiAir is theorized to be a possible culprit, as are too-thin oil and some other ideas, but to date nobody has been able to conclusively demonstrate where the lost oil that some 2.4L owners experience constantly is going, or if it's even a problem with a single cause. Certainly FCA and their dealer network appear to be stumped. Do you know what the CEL was for? Low oil certainly isn't going to trigger it (the car doesn't have any way to monitor the oil level) in and of itself.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      70 times
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      How many miles since your last oil change?

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      38 times
      Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Don't know. I just go off of the oil life indicator. I normally change it when it gets down to 20%. But, this time I was procrastinating and let it get down to 12%.

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      Liked
      38 times
      Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      MultiAir is theorized to be a possible culprit, as are too-thin oil and some other ideas, but to date nobody has been able to conclusively demonstrate where the lost oil that some 2.4L owners experience constantly is going, or if it's even a problem with a single cause. Certainly FCA and their dealer network appear to be stumped. Do you know what the CEL was for? Low oil certainly isn't going to trigger it (the car doesn't have any way to monitor the oil level) in and of itself.
      After I put in the 2 quarts of oil, the light stayed on. I was going to check the code the following evening (working 2 jobs). But, by the time I got off from my second job, the CEL had cleared itself.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      70 times
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Try to pay attention to how many miles you put on. It's important to tell if it is actually burning a serious amount or not all that "much." For all we know it could have been 15k miles or 5. In the manual or maybe a tsb i believe it says it can burn up to a certain amount per 2k miles

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Here!

Vehicle
      2014 Dart Ralley, 2.4 w/manual transmission
      Mods
      Only thing I've done is hack the heck out of my wire harness to finally find speaker wires to add a
      Liked
      62 times
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I bought my 2014 Dart December of 2013. I still love it, but I started noticing the oil consumption about mid-2015. I never thought to check the oil on a new car??? Since learning and realizing there is a oil consumption problem I've probably added about 8 quarts of oil in the past 2 years. Using full synthetic that's about $10 a quart. While under warranty I complained but now I realize its a way of life for me. REALLY any good car owner checks the oil when you fill up with gas.... let's just say I've learned to be a 'good car owner.' There is absolutely NO oil spots in my driveway (from my Dart).. the car simply burns oil somewhere. Other than that still doing good. Still love my Dart!! Good news the air cooled engine will "stall" when oil is low. I learned this after my car was stalling off and on for about 2 weeks..... reality check... she ran 2 weeks with basically no oil on the dipstick. Still going strong....

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      70 times
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Should also mention don't take it to red line as often bevuse most people think's that burns up more oil

Crew Chief
      Rank

Rep

is Avenger Operator

Vehicle
      '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Eagles ;-} Former: Dart Turbo Man. loved him
      Mods
      Leather Shift Knob from a Dodge SUV style stitch grip!
      Liked
      2439 times
      Mentioned
      95 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      It's the multiair. Read all the info and videos about how it works and you'll see that oil being sprayed here and pumped there is going to disappear and be vaporized. It's a great idea though. Fiat has made too much money on the system worldwide now to change their minds on Multiair.
      I was born in the fifties, came of age in the 60's. That should give enough information to understand. Thank You, in advance!

Sponsored Links