it's now officially legal to tune/modify your cars electronics....for the next 2 year
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

it's now officially legal to tune/modify your cars electronics....for the next 2 year

This is a discussion on it's now officially legal to tune/modify your cars electronics....for the next 2 year within the Dodge Dart Maintenance forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; US Copyright Office officially allows owners to work on their own car - Autoblog...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Thread: it's now officially legal to tune/modify your cars electronics....for the next 2 year

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is is probably at work, glad his
      boss does not belong to the
      forum

Vehicle
      2013 Dodge Dart Rallye Edition, Citrus Peel Pearl Coat! Demon badges
      Mods
      Cosmetic only. Demon badges, LED interior lights, limo black tint, Rimblades, Gloss Black vinyl wrap
      Liked
      217 times
      Mentioned
      43 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

FCA made 15 like mine, I made mine a singularity!

If nothing changes, nothing changes!

Life is too short to drive a boring car!

Car Chief
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      1915 times
      Mentioned
      209 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      sweet!

Tire Carrier
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      3 times
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Hard to believe anything anymore. If not this then they will nail us some other way. Good sign tho

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Ride of the Month
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.4L Blacktop Edition
      Mods
      35% window tint all around Blacked out reverse lights and reflectors Custom designed Tigershark badg
      Liked
      219 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      While modern computers and software have made cars safer than ever, hackers have revealed just how easy it can be to remotely take over a vehicle. The exemption will also give owners the ability to check their own cars for security vulnerabilities without visiting a dealership.
      I guess now the aftermarket companies will have more incentive to try to crack new CPU's.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is is wishing he was driving...

Vehicle
      "Zippy" 2013 Rallye 1.4T DDCT - Pitch Black Ext. Black w/ Ruby Red Int
      Liked
      3167 times
      Mentioned
      161 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      I wonder why they thought that being a "mobile computing device" would be a compelling argument to making it illegal to modify the software. It's not inherently illegal in any way to modify the software in actual mobile computing devices like tablets or cell phones. It might void the warranty of the device (just as modifying the software of your ECU is in fact legitimate and legal grounds to void the warranty on the powertrain of a vehicle), but it's not illegal. However, this only addresses legality from the perspective of intellectual property, and does not address whether modifying vehicle software might be made illegal on other grounds. After Volkswagen's debacle with their diesel engines, I'm surprised the US government (particularly the EPA) isn't proposing making it much more difficult and much less legal to modify vehicle software.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member

Vehicle
      Liked
      3167 times
      Mentioned
      161 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by loxmith View Post
      I guess now the aftermarket companies will have more incentive to try to crack new CPU's.
      How so? They only crack ECUs so that they can sell tunes for them, which has never actually been considered illegal. That's their only incentive (which they no doubt call a "necessary evil") for it and it hasn't changed.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
      220 times
      Mentioned
      11 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Tuning your engine is still illegal under EPA rules. Tuners have gotten around it by hiding behind the "For Off-road Use Only". That is why the EPA tried to push through new rules that would make it illegal to modify a vehicle for off road use if it had been originally certified for Street use. Fortunately SEMA got enough signatures to squash that and to push through the RPM law that ensures that you can modify vehicles for off road use.

Dave

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member

Vehicle
      Liked
      3167 times
      Mentioned
      161 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
      Tuning your engine is still illegal under EPA rules. Tuners have gotten around it by hiding behind the "For Off-road Use Only". That is why the EPA tried to push through new rules that would make it illegal to modify a vehicle for off road use if it had been originally certified for Street use. Fortunately SEMA got enough signatures to squash that and to push through the RPM law that ensures that you can modify vehicles for off road use.

Dave
      It's only illegal to tamper with emission control systems, and has been for many years. Tuning your car does not inherently do that, and the "off-road use only" label is usually only applied to products that would do so (or would otherwise be illegal for on-road use, of course). No aftermarket parts maker is going to limit their ability to market their products by labeling something for off-road use only unless they really have a good reason to.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Limited/1.4T/Dual-Clutch Transmission/Blue Streak Pearl
      Liked
      50 times
      Mentioned
      14 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by jsblanch View Post
      It's only illegal to tamper with emission control systems, and has been for many years. Tuning your car does not inherently do that, and the "off-road use only" label is usually only applied to products that would do so (or would otherwise be illegal for on-road use, of course). No aftermarket parts maker is going to limit their ability to market their products by labeling something for off-road use only unless they really have a good reason to.

You should come live in California sometime, or one of the numerous states that have it written into their vehicle codes that they'll simply mirror the laws in CA.

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member

Vehicle
      Liked
      3167 times
      Mentioned
      161 Post(s)
      Tagged
      1 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by PeterSteele View Post
      You should come live in California sometime, or one of the numerous states that have it written into their vehicle codes that they'll simply mirror the laws in CA.
      While that may be true, I was commenting on the EPA regulations and the situation that ensued when SEMA claimed they banned the construction of race cars (I also forgot to address to the person I was replying to that SEMA didn't really do anything, the EPA clarified that off-road vehicles would not be affected and that the regulations weren't actually changing at all). While I am a long way from California, I'm pretty confident in my claim that I would have no difficulty finding modified cars in your fine state driven by people who have had no government interactions as a result of said modifications. Out of curiosity, how, exactly, do they enforce such regulations? Do state investigators just pull over cars randomly and make you pop the hood so they can inspect everything? and how would they know if you had an OBDII flash tune?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links