Dodge Dart Forum banner

Oil life Monitor - oil change intervals

107K views 200 replies 92 participants last post by  62dodge 
#1 ·
Oil change/Tire rotation...FYI

I was told today, that since this car is so new, that only one place in town (Boise) was found that carried the oil filter needed for the Dart. Has anybody else had their oil changed yet? And I had no idea that the tires got rotated at the same time! Fabulous!

#89 ·
Hi,

Suppose you only put about 5,000 miles on your car in a year. How often would you get an oil change? I was getting an oil change faithfully every three months with my previous vehicle. I just went by the old 3 month/3,000 mile adage. Should I trust the oil change indicator in this case? Thanks.

#90 ·
Changing oil at 3K miles and under on an engine that has been broken in is bad. According to several oil analysis tests and numerous types of engines, the most wear occurs during the first couple thousand miles on EACH oil change. Wear metal content begins decreasing after this. Doing frequent oil changes will only shorten the life of the engine. The first oil change should be done very soon after buying the car. I'll be changing my oil and filter the first time within the first hundred miles. As the motor breaks in, metal shavings from the cylinder walls, and piston rings get into the engine oil and can clog the oil filter much sooner than normal. There is also the added risk of those metal shavings making their way through the oil galleys and back into your main and rod bearings (and the turbo too).

Personally, I believe in breaking an engine in the hard way, if I want the motor to perform like a race engine I'll drive it like one to seat the piston rings and get the most compression out of the motor as possible. If I want the engine to perform like a granny, I'll drive it like a granny so that the piston walls glaze over and the engine has low compression and becomes and early oil burner.

If you really want to know when to change the oil on your car, send an oil sample off to an oil analysis company such as Blackstone Labs. They will give you a scientific answer to what's in the oil you sent them and if it's ready to be changed out or not. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for all you want to know about oil and then some.

#93 ·
I had the first oil change done at around 6,500 miles. The light hadn't come on, but I had been keeping an eye on my oil (because I know turbos can burn a bit more oil than NA cars) and it was starting to darken up and the level was dropping towards the bottom of the hash marks on the dipstick. Not entirely sure if I trust the oil light, but the engine can certainly go longer than 3k miles between changes.

#94 ·
My notification just came up at ~7500 miles. I already picked up the oil and I'm going to swing by the dealer for a filter and to see if there are any updates the car needs. I've been using synthetic for years now, once a year oil changes. It is definitely not going to break down like regular oil and last a lot longer. Engines aren't anything what they were back when 3m/3k rule either.

#96 ·
^^^^:popped out: ^^^
I think I will stick to first oil change at 800mi...and then regular changes. This also depends on how the pan contents look.

#97 ·
800 mile change is useless now a days. The cars are built in such a way we never see anything in the pans at even 8000 - 9000 miles. I would just wait until the light comes on and change it then.

#98 ·
I just rolled over 5,000 miles and my indicator light still hasn't notified me of my oil change. I'm trying to not get nervous but it's the first oil change and I would think it would need an oil change sooner for the first one. Should I go ahead and change the oil prior to the indication light or wait until it comes on?

((nervous))

#101 ·
Don't worry at all. Seriously. Depending on your build date, your manual clearly states, "change when the indicator comes on or at 8k/10k miles." It will come on and even if it doesn't, just change it at the miles your manual states.

Cars are not made as they were in years past. This puppy can GO.

#102 ·
Needing to change the oil early for the first oil change is old school thinking just like 3m/3k. Back in the early automotive days they didn't have the metallurgy or machining capabilities that they do now which results in WAY less junk in the oil, even at break-in. I changed my oil at 6k and the light hadn't come on but it was because I wasn't sure how long until it came on and it was needing a top-off according to the dipstick and I didn't want to put a quart in it to have the service oil light come on two days later.

#103 ·
This leads me to another question. At what mileage was your car at when you really squeezed the utter on the ole' cow?

#105 ·
I noticed it said that WOT was ok within like 5th or 6th gear. It stated that going WOT gear through gear was not good for the break in period. pg 90 Owner's Manual
"Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided."

Reactions: suzq044
#108 ·
Cartoon Illustration Animation T-shirt Space
Feeeeeeeed meeeeeeee...

#109 ·
My dart currently has 11k on it, and i've gotten 2 oil changes on it. I've never seen the light come on, I just went in once around 5k and again at 8. The guy at the dealer had put on my sticker to go in every 3k for oil changes, but I asked about the recommendations on the manual (I like to work on my own vehicles, but who can resist free oil changes?) He said that I can go with either, as long as I keep propper doccumentation IE: reciept of purchase and work with vehicle milage. As far as I know, if anything does happen to the drivetrain with impropper lubrication, they have to prove that it was your fault. Reciepts and propper documentation only help your case. Also, alot of dealers tend to give you a free oil change, and you might get a phone call reminding you about it. You may ALSO get a letter with a free oil change/etc coupon. READ THIS LETTER FULLY: if you get both the phone call and letter, take the letter with you, but dont tell them you have it. If your letter does not specify *1'st oil change free*, you can use it for your second. The person I talked to on the phone told me my 1st oil change was free, but did not mention a coupon. I got 2 free oil changes and inspections this way*

#112 ·
I received free maintenance for 2 years or 25k miles with our purchase! Funny the dealer stated this is for 4 oil changes only. So according to them, it will get a free oil change every 6 months. Sounds good to me, I want it in writing, so when something fails, I will point to it and tell them to fix it.

#118 ·
Has anyone waited until 10,000 miles yet?

First oil change light came on around 3700 took to dealer and got free oil change. It seems like the early builds came on at 3700 and later builds went longer??? Now I have 11,000 and still haven't had the light come back on. I was going to take it in next week (have appt scheduled) and have the oil changed but wonder if I should wait for the light? I guess I could wait a little longer since it has only been about 7200 miles since last oil change. (Wow, that feels really wrong).

#120 ·
Anyone know if the EVIC is supposed to stay on once an oil change is needed? I saw mine flash mid ride for about 3 seconds; but is hasn't returned/repeated since (this was a few days ago). Was this a fluke, or is it time for a chage?

#121 ·
@HopefulDartOwner
It should show the message every time the car is started. If you scroll through the settings on the EVIC it should be on there in one of the options

#154 ·
We have a 14 GT and it has an oil life screen. With 1800 miles on the car it is saying the oil is at 79%. If it continues at the same rate it will be due for an oil change in less than 10k miles.

I have always subscribed to doing the first oil change early and plan to do it this week end. I won't be resetting the oil life monitor just so I can see when it comes on.

My Focus ST just has a light and it came on the first time at 10,250 miles and the second time at 10,087 miles.

#127 ·
First change in my Rallye was @ 7000m that's when I got the message was changed @ 7138... It was @ 11300 when wrecked... Never got to number 2...

I was a bit concerned about when to change the oil as well when I first got it.... Service Advisor said to wait for the message... Thought it was a bit excessive. But I'll follow the recommend times.

#129 ·
I'm at 7300 miles on my 2013 Dodge Dart 2.0 liter Limited and no oil change message or ding yet. I also started to get nervous like you but reading your post tells me it isn't broke and it probably is going to notify me eventually. If nothing happens at 9800 miles it's going in regardless. Thanks.

#130 ·
Do we have oil change indicator ??? I never saw one, just doing oil change every 3500 miles…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.