TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness...
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

This is a discussion on TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness... within the Dodge Dart Lighting forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; ***IF YOU HAVE A 2016 MY DART READ*** The idiots up at Chrysler decided that it was a smart idea to swap the headlight projectors ...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Like Tree93Likes

Thread: TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness...

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM Spectrum Tuner/Lightweight pulley, HPSI CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, momo knob
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

***IF YOU HAVE A 2016 MY DART READ***
      The idiots up at Chrysler decided that it was a smart idea to swap the headlight projectors from 2013-15 which are 9012 based, to 9005 based in the 2016 Darts. The write up still stands, but just get the 9005 headlights instead of 9012.
      After a lot of research, testing, error messages, more testing, and dozens of combinations of bulbs/ballasts/relays/canbus/resistors I have found a kit that works pretty well with our Darts. I personally ran a pair of canbus ballasts in my old SXT and had great success with them. Unfortunately I never got to test those ballasts during the cold months. RIP Sylvia.

I recommended those ballasts to a few friends and noticed once it got colder, the ballasts would sometimes throw errors. I was given the link by a member on here. So i tried another set of them, from another member on here that said no errors in the cold, and still the same thing. When they warm up they are great, but sometimes didn't fire every time.

So I had a retrofitsource (TRS) kit laying around and talked to a couple guys on their site about the canbus stand alone harness. For $30 I gave them a try and over the couple weeks installed they have worked great! The canbus stand alone harness replaces the relay harness, in the same way full sized canbus ballasts do. There has been no error message or flickering reported from my friend who has been running it. And ballasts fire every time, as TRS has some amazing quality and I've never had issues with them. The great thing about TRS is they actually offer a 9012 bulb. For those that have installed other kits with the 9006 and either had to modify them yourself or the company already did, then you just wont have to worry. They are a perfect fit.

A direct statement from one of the guys who helped me with the group buy about the canbus harness:
      "The canbus harnesses are designed for those vehicles that have bulb out warning systems specifically. And, yes, they do help to reduce stress on the factory wiring as much as possible through the use of Capacitors. I am not sure that there will be any truly perfect solution other than OE but like you have said these harnesses are about as good as they get in the aftermarket community."
      Because like many of you, I've seen the bad stories of people going straight HID ballasts to the oem sockets without any type of relay or harness of the sort. With the research and success I've seen on here with actual canbus ballasts, I figured I'd ask the HID experts is this safe? And this isn't coming from the low end employee. It's from Nate Brick, the TRS COO.

So I will post my step by step pictures on how I installed this kit, some before and after pictures. This kit seems to work great in my application. But as I found out with some canbus kits, they aren't always flawless. And that's electronics in general for you. Maybe someone's BCM is really picky. I know my old car was. She was never happy with anything I threw at her. lol So if you decide to run with this kit, and have any issues please report them here for conversation and see if we can solve them or help. I take no responsibility for any issues after installing this or any other electrical hardware to your vehicle. It's a very complicated system and bad things can happen installed incorrectly or incorrect parts are used. I recommend using the full TRS kit.

So first the website and what you should be looking to buy!: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...stem-9012.html
      Name:  retrofit.PNG
Views: 4746
Size:  186.5 KB

****Also use promo code Steadymobbin for 15% off. It's worked forever, don't know if it will ever end. ****

So 1)Shipping is fast and from the US, 2) quality and packaging is amazing and hopefully you love them as much as me. This is their new XB bulbs. They discontinued their 3Five line, state that these new ones are brighter and higher quality. With that being said, they are still the same price as the old ones so win win there. On to the install!

Here is the canbus harness that i received and will be installing.
      Name:  20150302_194535.jpg
Views: 4824
Size:  1.74 MB

The full kit.
      Name:  20150302_194816.jpg
Views: 4777
Size:  1.91 MB

The next step is to modify your dust caps so that you can pull the wires through it. I believe the size I went up to was 1 and quarter inch. You just need it big enough so that the male connector came make it through. You can use a normal drill bit and a dremel if that's easier for you. You can pick up one of these drill bits at any hardware store. Very usefull!
      Name:  20150302_200202.jpg
Views: 4687
Size:  1.43 MB

Hole drilled!
      Name:  20150302_200744.jpg
Views: 4662
Size:  1.38 MB

Pull the wires through and sell the hole up, with the provided rubber grommet.
      Name:  20150302_200942.jpg
Views: 4761
Size:  1.48 MB

Stock Halogens
      Name:  20150302_203259.jpg
Views: 4579
Size:  997.5 KB

After HIDs are in 5000k
      Name:  20150302_210852.jpg
Views: 4614
Size:  1.02 MB
      Last edited by Cntrollerfanboy; 04-21-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Attachments unavailable, added 2016 Dart info
      Highspeed63b and Roadmasta01 like this.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      RRM Spectrum Tuner/Lightweight pulley, HPSI CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, momo knob
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      The bulbs can be accessed by a small door panel in the fender. Simply pull the door off and you have access. I do not have a picture of those doors, but here is a picture of my Dart with the whole fender cover off to show you what the caps look like and where everything is.
      Name:  20150307_111009 (1).jpg
Views: 4662
Size:  1.16 MB

A picture from inside the fender. The grey connector with green wire is the oem wire for the stock bulb. Those caps you drilled are what you use to cover the back of the headlights. The wire is kind of in the way, but in the back you can see the small opening. That is where the bulb came from, and where you will put the HID in.
      Name:  20150302_203755.jpg
Views: 4444
Size:  1.42 MB

Stock halogen! GROSS!
      Name:  20150302_203950.jpg
Views: 4576
Size:  1.11 MB

Next would be to connect the OEM plug directly into the "extender" wire as I call it, from the HID. There should be a male/female ended wire along with the two little plugs (that connect to the ballast) that are with each bulb. This extender wire will be used to keep the oem connectors inside the cap as they originally were, and route it outside the cap to be plugged int the ballast. It will plug in normally NO REVERSED POLARITY with the 9012. 9006 usually have this issue but I never have this problem with these bulbs. SO green on OEM will go to red on the extender. I don't happpen to have a picture of this. I can edit it in later once I snap a pic. But the connector should snap and just make sure it's red to green. It doesn't really matter in this case now, but it makes it easier to see which is positive and negative when you get to the next steps.

Okay next steps are getting the HID bulb into the housing. My recommendation is to place the bulb at about 45 degrees to where you want the rod that is connected to the bulb to face. The rod needs to be pointed DOWN! I've seen a lot of shadows on cars that did not use the correct orientation. Thinking, okay we want the rod up so it doesn't show up. This is actually the opposite, the projector flips the output of the light. The light is reflected off the top, and down under the cutoff shield I will have to edit this and show a pic of that, but I'm sure you can get what I mean. This picture shows the light installed with dust cap sealed on that grommet. When installing take your time. Really feel around and make sure you get a tight secure turn when you get the light in. It's a bit difficult when you have the cap in the way. Just give it some time and make sure it's in. In this pic it also shows the ballast connectors attached. I will show a zoomed out, more detailed pic of how that is set up. Both the bulb and ballast have the same little male and female connectors. Just match them up and you are good.
      Name:  20150302_211407.jpg
Views: 4679
Size:  1.46 MB

After getting the bulb in, you will now be connecting the canbus harness in between the ballast and bulb. The male end of the extender wire will now plug into the canbus harness (red to + and black to -). It will look like so.
      Name:  20150302_211424.jpg
Views: 4607
Size:  1.55 MB

After that you can now plug the other end of the canbus harness into the ballast. Should clip in together.
      Name:  20150302_211437.jpg
Views: 4320
Size:  1.59 MB

And like i stated earlier, I had already plugged the small plugs in so here is a picture of the ballast wires going to those connectors.
      Name:  20150302_211444.jpg
Views: 4278
Size:  1.70 MB
      Last edited by Cntrollerfanboy; 03-12-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      FLIP THAT SWITCH AND TEST! And if they work do the other side the same way!
      Attachment 47362

Name:  20150302_213613.jpg
Views: 4192
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  20150302_213623.jpg
Views: 4170
Size:  1.16 MB

On road low beam
      Name:  20141019_064149.jpg
Views: 4409
Size:  2.64 MB

HIGH BEAM!
      Name:  20141026_045907.jpg
Views: 4404
Size:  3.22 MB

There would be a little arrow here in the bottom left corner if there was an error message.
      Name:  20141017_151810.jpg
Views: 4193
Size:  4.95 MB

So I don't have a picture of where you mound the ballasts when finished, but I find them best right in the engine bay, in the corner of the fenders just for now. But you can use some really good double sided tape and put them where ever suits you. I like the easy access for testing purposes. I recommend that you just do everything on the tire like I did in the pics first to test it all. If it all comes on, unplug them and either put them in the engine bay and feed the wires down, or find a spot that you light down in the bumper and mount them. Whichever way, just plug them in the way they were. Both headlights will be exactly the same. So the install process above will be for both sides exactly.

IF they don't come on check your connections. Make sure no wires got flipped and everything is plugged in. I'll post some more pics of things like what they look like driving, high beams, and the screen that will show an error message if there is one.

A big thanks to the guys at TRS for making an awesome product. Also a shout out to @perry25 for telling me he was also running these without issues.
      Last edited by Cntrollerfanboy; 03-12-2015 at 11:43 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      I'll also post @BrendoGT 's youtube video installation here for a more visual help.

Please reply to this comment or just leave a normal reply. DO NOT quote the pics or the thread will get bigger than it already is. lol Thanks!
      Last edited by Cntrollerfanboy; 04-28-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: put in video
      chlngr1970 and Highspeed63b like this.

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is exhausted

Vehicle
      2013 Dart Rallye 1.4l with 6mt fully loaded.
      Mods
      20% tint all around and racetrack lights much more to come
      Liked
      179 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      is that possible lol ^ great info though thank you for taking time to create this for us now people remember search function is your friend (like i'm one to talk) lol

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by swojcik View Post
      is that possible lol ^ great info though thank you for taking time to create this for us now people remember search function is your friend (like i'm one to talk) lol
      is what possible? Getting bigger than it is?

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is exhausted

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      179 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      exactly it took a solid 30 seconds to scroll all the way down
      Cntrollerfanboy likes this.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      exactly it took a solid 30 seconds to scroll all the way down
      DETAILS! lol

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is exhausted

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      179 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Details are a fine line though between precise and crazy.
      I have a neighbor who does this to his lawn and i think he's nuts
      Name:  grass cutt.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  10.1 KB
      longtimemopar likes this.

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Details are a fine line though between precise and crazy.
      I have a neighbor who does this to his lawn and i think he's nuts
      Name:  grass cutt.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  10.1 KB
      Well TRS has a promotion if you make a detailed forum walk through on their products, you can get free stuff! And since it helps me and everyone else, it just makes sense. lol

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links