TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness... - Page 3
Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
    Register

TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness...

This is a discussion on TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness... within the Dodge Dart Lighting forums, part of the Dodge Dart Garage - The Mopar Zone category; @ Cntrollerfanboy excellent thread. I've been looking at HIDs since I got my Dart in November but could never decide which system to use. Could ...

User Tag List

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Like Tree93Likes

Thread: TheRetrofitSource 9012 HID kit with canbus stand alone harness...

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
      2014 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.4
      Liked
      85 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Cntrollerfanboy excellent thread. I've been looking at HIDs since I got my Dart in November but could never decide which system to use. Could you recommend a set of HID fog lights to replace the stock ones? Ideally I'd be looking at 5000-5500k to have them match the HIDs headlights. I'd figure I would ask you since you seem to be one of the resident light gurus

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

is waiting for VTEC to kick
      in...yo

Vehicle
      2015 Dodge Dart GT Fully Loaded 6MT
      Mods
      RRM Spectrum Tuner/Lightweight pulley, HPSI CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, momo knob
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by josh16 View Post
      @Cntrollerfanboy excellent thread. I've been looking at HIDs since I got my Dart in November but could never decide which system to use. Could you recommend a set of HID fog lights to replace the stock ones? Ideally I'd be looking at 5000-5500k to have them match the HIDs headlights. I'd figure I would ask you since you seem to be one of the resident light gurus
      Well the fog lights are h11. So if you wanted to go with the TRS h11 kit, i'd recommend that you use their relay harness. The fogs don't throw errors so you don't need to worry about capacitors and resistors. They work just fine as a normal kit. TRS is the only company I've dealt with that always has the right HID color. I've used DDM and my friend has their 4500k headlights and 4500k in fogs. The headlights look like 8000k. I swear they just pull bulbs at random over there. lol I'd go with the 5000k from TRS. I love that color. For the new XB 9012 you can only choose between 4500 and 5500. I talked to a guy over on their team, Charlie I believe, and he said 5500k would be the best choose if looking for that same look. I'm probably going to order some h11 4300k bulbs from them soon. I have DDM 5000k in now and they are "white" but just a tad bit too blue while my stock HIDs are 4300k and like a warm white. I'd rather make my headlights 5000k but TRS does not carry the D3S HID bulb yet in Morimoto brand which is their brand. So instead of a $50 pair, they stock the oem brands which are almost $300 a pair. NO THANKS.
      Looking for HIDs? Xenon-Vision install click HERE

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      RRM Spectrum Tuner/Lightweight pulley, HPSI CAI, HID/LED swap, Redlinegoods shiftboot, momo knob
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by un4givn85 View Post
      no lights yesterday
      somehow it made sense to send them from billings, mt to great falls, mt, even though i am in helena, in between those two.
      hopefully today they will show up
      Hopefully. Yeah make sure that bar isn't on the top. Those shadows are annoying and just look bad. lol

4. Remove Advertisements
      Dodge-Dart.org
      Advertisements

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Chillin'

Vehicle
      '13 Dodge Dart Aero Maximum Steel Metallic
      Mods
      Super red LED's in the interior lamps. 55W HID headlamps at 6000K K&N drop-in filter Graphite Bla
      Liked
      170 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      @Cntrollerfanboy , Where did you stick the relays at? I mounted the grounds and the ballasts at the fender bolts right above each light housing, but for now have just shoved the relay harness in between the battery and that ECM/heatsink thing in front of it.

Curious, because from every single install pic I've seen, or video, they never manage to show where they stuck the relay. LOL
      HID Upgrade Guide

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
      but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
      @Cntrollerfanboy , Where did you stick the relays at? I mounted the grounds and the ballasts at the fender bolts right above each light housing, but for now have just shoved the relay harness in between the battery and that ECM/heatsink thing in front of it.

Curious, because from every single install pic I've seen, or video, they never manage to show where they stuck the relay. LOL
      Well it's not there! lol You have run or are running canbus ballasts now aren't you? How it's direct plug and play. These have the same concept. Here is some quotes from their site.

The Morimoto Standalone wire harnesses are the perfect solution for a headlight upgrade on vehicles with finicky headlight systems. Say goodbye to "bulb out" warning lamps and flickering caused by "can-bus" systems.

Each harness has a built-in resistor pack to mimic the characteristics of a standard halogen bulb being plugged in to your stock harness, tricking the car into thinking nothing has changed.

The Moto Standalones also feature Japanese-made Rubycon 6800uF capacitors to help jump-start the ballasts and keep them running smoothly - using the power directly from the vehicles factory headlight circuit.

Sold as a pair, which is considered a substitution for a normal relay harness. (not typically in-addition to)

My favorite part

With just the fewest connections to make compared to our other harnesses; even your mom could set this thing up on a car it's that easy

Supporting Member
      Rank

Rep

Supporting Member
      is Looking for 7th gear

Vehicle
      2014 Dart SE Blue Streak 6 speed
      Mods
      CAI, STS, Rear trans mount, CU plugs, RRM pulley,
      Liked
      2264 times
      Mentioned
      468 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      SO no more reversing wires and polarity issues its just straight plug in play? so when the next wave of "WHAZ KINDS OF HID GUYZZZ FOR MEE" threads we can just point them to this thread?
      curtiplas likes this.

'BlueStreak'
      2014 Dodge Dart SE manual Blue Streak

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
      SO no more reversing wires and polarity issues its just straight plug in play? so when the next wave of "WHAZ KINDS OF HID GUYZZZ FOR MEE" threads we can just point them to this thread?
      If you really want. lol Perry the guy I tagged in the end of my review I know has close to 100k on his car If I saw correctly in one of the Mileage posts. Idk how long he has been running this same setup, but this has only been for a few weeks. If he chimes in here eventually I'm sure he can say how long. I feel like it's been a while lol

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
      And sorry I didn't answer the first question. Yes. I even tried at first to plug in reverse and it didn't come on. lol Honestly i think it's the way the extender wire is made. On 9006 I think the male connector end has the plug and the clip side reversed from the 9012. So the normal way of just clicking the clip over the little block on the female connector is not right. So lets say OEM wire. Black and green. The clips of the OEM clip into a 9006. The green wire would be going into the black on the extender and black OEM into red on extender. That's what I assume. I'm not entirely sure but it's sound like a good assumption yes? If anyone else has the actual correct answer I would love to hear it. If that's not it. haha

Jackman
      Rank

Rep

is Chillin'

Vehicle
      '13 Dodge Dart Aero Maximum Steel Metallic
      Mods
      Super red LED's in the interior lamps. 55W HID headlamps at 6000K K&N drop-in filter Graphite Bla
      Liked
      170 times
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cntrollerfanboy View Post
      Well it's not there! lol You have run or are running canbus ballasts now aren't you? How it's direct plug and play. These have the same concept. Here is some quotes from their site.

The Morimoto Standalone wire harnesses are the perfect solution for a headlight upgrade on vehicles with finicky headlight systems. Say goodbye to "bulb out" warning lamps and flickering caused by "can-bus" systems.

Each harness has a built-in resistor pack to mimic the characteristics of a standard halogen bulb being plugged in to your stock harness, tricking the car into thinking nothing has changed.

The Moto Standalones also feature Japanese-made Rubycon 6800uF capacitors to help jump-start the ballasts and keep them running smoothly - using the power directly from the vehicles factory headlight circuit.

Sold as a pair, which is considered a substitution for a normal relay harness. (not typically in-addition to)

My favorite part

With just the fewest connections to make compared to our other harnesses; even your mom could set this thing up on a car it's that easy
      Yep, replaced my DDM harness with the connectors starting to fry. Until today it's really been too cold to do much with it, but was curious were people were mounting the relay. I did the same with the DDM relay, but then it was mostly out of laziness. I plan on "re-installing" the full setup when my replacement DDM ballasts come in and I go to install them, but was curious about where you stuck yours at. Most likely, I'll just create a mount point for it, but not everyone has the tools/skills to do things like that.

NOTE: I didn't order the full kit, just the Morimoto standalone harness, and a set of bulbs since my aging ones were about to pop.
      HID Upgrade Guide

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
      but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

Super Moderator
      Rank

Rep

in...yo

Vehicle
      Mods
      Liked
      1815 times
      Mentioned
      270 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
      Yep, replaced my DDM harness with the connectors starting to fry. Until today it's really been too cold to do much with it, but was curious were people were mounting the relay. I did the same with the DDM relay, but then it was mostly out of laziness. I plan on "re-installing" the full setup when my replacement DDM ballasts come in and I go to install them, but was curious about where you stuck yours at. Most likely, I'll just create a mount point for it, but not everyone has the tools/skills to do things like that.

NOTE: I didn't order the full kit, just the Morimoto standalone harness, and a set of bulbs since my aging ones were about to pop.
      Well I think the best place to put it is in your fuse box. lol

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links