Dodge Dart Forum banner

Gave my GT a detail!

7K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  wiegandj 
#1 ·
Gave my 13' GT a much needed cleaning, I love this car!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
White looks SOOOOO good after a fresh wash.

What kind of products did you use?

I'm trying Chemical Guys this year and have been extremely impressed so far. After the LOOOOONG winter I did a full clay bar session that got ALL the tar spots off. I still need to pick up the leather conditioner but the standard 'New Car' dressing really brought out the deep black in them.

#5 ·
White looks SOOOOO good after a fresh wash. What kind of products did you use? I'm trying Chemical Guys this year and have been extremely impressed so far. After the LOOOOONG winter I did a full clay bar session that got ALL the tar spots off. I still need to pick up the leather conditioner but the standard 'New Car' dressing really brought out the deep black in them.
I use the turtle wax and the spray on tireshine it works pretty good but it makes it very hard to get the tar off my car along with the bugs! Hand washing takes forever but White is the best color for sure on the darts though!
And how often do you treat your leather? I'm not sure how often to do it
I might try that chemical guys!

#6 ·
With the clay 'block' the black tar spots come right off. Just spray the lube, run the block across the surface a few times, wipe clean with an MF towel.

So far I've only treated the leather once with CG 'New Car Shine' dressing which is more of a multipurpose for dash/tires/exterior trim. It came out FANTASTIC on the seats. It seriously made the seats look deep black and moist instead of the way they came slightly faded looking and dry. Looking forward to trying the actual leather cleaner/conditioner that they sell. I figure once every couple of months should cover it. I wash weekly, do the windows biweekly, and wax/dress monthly.

I highly recommend them so far. I spent about $90 on my initial order but I figure that once I get everything I want refilling the various chemicals will be in the $30-50 a year range.

This was my first order:
wash bucket kit: Chemical Guys ACC_101 - Detailing Bucket Kit (5 Items) (I've been washing the Dart and the wife's Caliber every weekend for a couple months now and still have 7/8 of the bottle of soap)
clay block: Chemical Guys CLAY_BLOCK_KIT - Clay Block V2 & Luber Surface Cleaner (Used it once each on the Dart and the Caliber and have about 1/2 a bottle of lube left)
wax: Chemical Guys WAC_111_16 - Extreme Depth Liquid Carnauba Creme Wax + X-Seal (16 oz)EXTREME DEPTH LIQUID CARNAUBA CREME WAX + X-Seal (16 oz) (Waxed 2 cars 3 times each and still have over 1/2 the bottle left)
tires/dash: Chemical Guys TVD_102_16 - New Car Shine Premium Dressing (16 oz) (works wonders on exterior plastics and leaves tires looking nice for weeks at a shot)
I also ordered a few misc wax/dressing applicators, a hose sprayer because my old one was broke, and got a free HUGE MF towel (they still have the special if you spend more than $75).

Going forward I want to try their leather conditioner, window cleaner, and I need a few more MF towels and possibly some wheel brushes. I'd also like to try their 'butter' wax for those times I head out to car shows.

#8 ·
With the clay 'block' the black tar spots come right off. Just spray the lube, run the block across the surface a few times, wipe clean with an MF towel. So far I've only treated the leather once with CG 'New Car Shine' dressing which is more of a multipurpose for dash/tires/exterior trim. It came out FANTASTIC on the seats. It seriously made the seats look deep black and moist instead of the way they came slightly faded looking and dry. Looking forward to trying the actual leather cleaner/conditioner that they sell. I figure once every couple of months should cover it. I wash weekly, do the windows biweekly, and wax/dress monthly. I highly recommend them so far. I spent about $90 on my initial order but I figure that once I get everything I want refilling the various chemicals will be in the $30-50 a year range. This was my first order: wash bucket kit: Chemical Guys ACC_101 - Detailing Bucket Kit (5 Items) (I've been washing the Dart and the wife's Caliber every weekend for a couple months now and still have 7/8 of the bottle of soap) clay block: Chemical Guys CLAY_BLOCK_KIT - Clay Block V2 & Luber Surface Cleaner (Used it once each on the Dart and the Caliber and have about 1/2 a bottle of lube left) wax: Chemical Guys WAC_111_16 - Extreme Depth Liquid Carnauba Creme Wax + X-Seal (16 oz)EXTREME DEPTH LIQUID CARNAUBA CREME WAX + X-Seal (16 oz) (Waxed 2 cars 3 times each and still have over 1/2 the bottle left) tires/dash: Chemical Guys TVD_102_16 - New Car Shine Premium Dressing (16 oz) (works wonders on exterior plastics and leaves tires looking nice for weeks at a shot) I also ordered a few misc wax/dressing applicators, a hose sprayer because my old one was broke, and got a free HUGE MF towel (they still have the special if you spend more than $75). Going forward I want to try their leather conditioner, window cleaner, and I need a few more MF towels and possibly some wheel brushes. I'd also like to try their 'butter' wax for those times I head out to car shows.
Thank you for the links!! I need to look Into getting those! I have the MF towels and those make a huge difference. I will never pay to get my car washed again, it's not worth it

#10 ·
Nope not at all...I used one of them white, round, Terrie cloth things u would normally use to apply wax or polish.worked great. Took me about 45 min to do everything. Maybe I'll take some pictures when I do it again tonight. Just left carquest.picked up a new clay-bar

#13 ·
Chemical Guy is by far the best I have every used. They have everything you will every need for a show car to a daily driver. I will be spending about 12 to 18 hours this weekend to get my car ready for the show next weekend.

#15 ·
I was I was capable of detailing my car... I detailed my used Malibu Maxx and it looked okay but my methods would probably make y'all freak haha. I don't want to damage my new GT in any way, shape, or form so I'll be paying a professional to do it for me. How often should I get it detailed?

#16 ·
Don't be afraid. Don't do anything with your paint outside except wash. Preferably in the shade. I personally would never wax/polish outside, ever. And make sure your using clean cloths.Always, fresh out of the washer/dryer. I use Terrie cloth to apply, and cloth baby diapers to remove/buff. U can use micro fiber to remove as well..better shine with cloth diaper tho IMO

#18 ·
You should have a grit guard for the bottom of the bucket. Makes a HUGE difference and gets rid of the bottom of the bucket issue completely.

I still need to wash the Caliber and do both cars wheels/tires and interior glass but I just spent 5 hours vacuuming both, dressing the dash/seats on both, and washing/claying/waxing the Dart.

Using the dressing on the seats it takes maybe 10-15 minutes. It would be about the same for conditioner but the conditioner should last longer and soak in better.

Unfortunately I only have an outside to wax/clay/detail. We're looking at moving to a nicer area in the next couple years though and one of the requirements will be at least a 2 car garage (although 1 side will house a ripped apart Supra for a couple years). CG liquid wax seems to do just fine out in the sun as long as you use a nice fresh MF towel to wipe it off with.

#20 ·
Pressure washing is fine provided you don't use obscene pressure (if you remove paint, you need to turn it down).

#21 ·
If you're removing paint, you need to down grade your pressure washer! lmao I don't see why pressure washing could hurt..... If you go to a touch less car wash, they use high pressure.

#35 · (Edited)
I also detailed my dart this weekend. This blue pearl is my favorite color by far. And I feel the pain of having a white/black vehicle, I have a 94 ram and it's black, it gets dirty so quick but looks so goooood when clean that I feel obligated to wash it every week. I'll probably be doing the same with my dart.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hatchback

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Family car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car

And I have to throw a pic of my ram in here too, I can't wait to drive this gas guzzling thing again.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.