Dodge Dart Forum banner

New update for uconnect navigation (Next Gen uConnect Not for current Dart)

24K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  dsmgod 
#1 ·
Just announced, Garmin is updating the 8.4 inch UCONNECT with 3d buildings and more enhancements! Check out thespeeds release below!!

Garmin® Announces New In-Dash Navigation Features for Select 2013 Model Year Chrysler® and Dodge® Vehicles
OLATHE, Kan./September 1, 2012/Business Wire - Garmin® International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the next generation of its award-recognized navigation system built into Chrysler vehicles. The new Garmin solution is part of the Chrysler Uconnect8.4N infotainment system and includes several new features and enhancements. It is available for 2013 model year Chrysler 300, Dodge Journey, Charger and Dart vehicles[1] (offered standard on some models and optional on others). New features include 3D buildings and terrain views, improved traffic and routing functionalities, a refined user interface with enhanced colors and themes that are consistent with each vehicle brand and junction views that now cover more than 60,000 intersections across the U.S., among other enhancements.
"Our partnership with Chrysler has been extremely successful over the last two years, gaining praise from consumers and industry experts alike for the unmatched level of ease of use and reliability of our navigation solution," said Matt Munn, Garmin's managing director automotive OEM. "We're thrilled to now introduce new features to provide drivers even better orientation and road guidance with stunning 3D views and enhanced routing technology."
New features of Garmin navigation for the Chrysler Uconnect system include:
3D Buildings, Landmarks and Terrain Realistic 3D views of buildings and key landmarks throughout major U.S. cities provide drivers better orientation. Using topographic map data, the new Garmin system also displays 3D terrain views of landscape elevations, helping drivers to see what lies ahead.
New, Customized User Interface Garmin introduces a new color configuration and design of its user interface that is customized to Chrysler and Dodge vehicles and provides a more refined look and feel.
Trip Planner, myTrends™and Multi-Route View A new Trip Planner featureallows users to easily plan trips with multiple stops, view routes in an overview screen and edit destinations at any time.myTrends automatically remembers frequent and favorite route destinations based on driving habits and predicts them at certain days and times without the user needing to enter an address. When starting a trip, the new Multi-Route View displays route options, such as fastest and shortest, in one convenient overview map, including time and distance for each, so users can pick their preferred route.
New Routing Features and Enhancements Garmin's new navigation system includes a couple of new features that improve routing. trafficTrends™ predicts traffic conditions and recommends routes using historical traffic data and recurring trends at any given time or day. Garmin's new point addressing technology enhances routing accuracy, for example, where several addresses of a housing complex are combined into a group of house numbers. The new system can now identify each individual house number and navigate there.Additionally, Garmin significantly improved the routing algorithms to provide even fasterroute calculations and destination searches.
Broader Junction View Coverage Garmin's exclusive junction view database now includes nearly 60,000 junction views in the U.S. and Canada, 25 times more than in previous versions. photoReal Junction View realistically displays road signs and junctions along the route with photographic detail to clearly mark the correct lane to be in for interchanges and exits.
Navigation for Uconnect brings the ease of use of Garmin into an original equipment, in-dash radio. The navigator includes highly detailed maps of the United States, Canada, and Mexico with more than eight million points of interest, as well as many cutting-edge features found in the newest Garmin devices. This includes spoken turn-by-turn directions, one-shot address entry via voice command, lane assistance, junction views, speed limit and current speed, a trip computer and mileage log as well as customized vehicle icons that looks like a Chrysler or Dodge vehicle. In addition to displaying the navigation interface and maps on thein-dash screen, the system also makes use of a second display, positioned behind the steering wheel, to easily let the driver see important information, such as next turn, at a glance.
Within the first year of eligibility, Garmin's in-car navigation in the Dodge Charger was recognized as "Highest Customer Satisfaction With Factory Installed Navigation Systems" in the J.D. Power and Associates 2011 U.S. Navigation Usage and Satisfaction StudySM.
Garmin's automotive OEM group provides a broad range of in-vehicle electronics for the automotive industry, including infotainment and telematics systems, navigation software, location-based services, and integrated portable navigation systems. Garmin has dedicated automotive OEM offices in the United States, Germany, China and Japan. The company has agreements with leading brands in the automotive sector such as BMW, Chrysler, Honda, Kenwood, Panasonic, Suzuki and Toyota, among others.

See less See more
#20 ·
#9 ·
#18 ·
I bet you will have to bring it to a dealership and they insert a USB or something. Heck, it may even be that you download the software on a USB or a sd card, insert it into the car, and it will pick up the update and work. I hope that I'm correct!

#21 ·
Also, can someone explain to me how navigation works through the TFT display? Do you set it up on the UCONNECT and then send it over to the TFT?

#25 ·
No way they will do ota. Even with a sprint update the package would be over 10 gigs to download all the map data.

#28 ·
I'm not so sure that it's 10 gigs either. I have the full map on my bike garmin and it's under a gig. And that has poi and all. I know that there is more info on there systems, but I don't think it's 10X.
Also, as just said, they can piece meal it.

#29 ·
Sorry, I meant more like 5. My iPhone has the garmin app without all the fancy buildings and stuff, and it's at 1.38 gigs. I think that it will add AT LEAST a gig, most likely more. Now if this car can connect to wifi, that would make life easier!

#30 ·
I got an email back from Garmin support and they had no idea what I was talking about with the new map updates. He said the newest updates are already on the unit since it is a 2013 model but, the press release was on the 1st of Sept so, their support probably hasn't got word on it yet.

#33 ·
Probably when they release their next line of gps's. Hopefully soon. They'll want to compete with apple!

#34 ·
I chatted with a guy at uconnect for a bit. He seemed to know a bit more than what they read off the answer sheet. He said that there are known issues with the current 8.4 that they are working on, and that they want to bring the current 8.4s up to the level of the new version of 8.4s coming out in the next gen of vehicles, providing the features already exist, meaning you still won't have built in wifi or whatever it is that the new ones have. But that leaves hope for any software updates.

#36 ·
I don't know what all of them are, just what I called about. I had called to find out what the maximum transfer rate was for the remote ports. He explained that it is based on usb2.0, but that they are not able to read at the speeds of 2.0 yet. He said that while a fast card should be able to be read, it can't keep up with cards much faster than class 4. He explained that it tries to, but starts skipping data because it is coming in too fast. I asked if that was a software or hardware issue, he said it was software, and that if should be fixed in future updates. He also said that the system is loosely based on windows.

#43 ·
Okay, I contacted garmin directly about the issue, and this was their reply:
Dear _____,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
I will be happy to help you with this. If your particular device [Uconnect] did not come with the software already installed it will not be added. The new software will be for new manufactured devices. I am sorry for the inconvenience. If there is anything else I can help you with feel free to email me back.

So yes, the dart will be getting the new garmin map updates, but unfortunately for all current owners, you will not be able to get it. My guess the update will be on the new Uconnects that come with the R/T (hopefully).

CK- this is for the dart, just no update...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.