Dodge Dart Forum banner

Does Your Dart Turbo 1.4L Use Oil Between Oil Changes?

29K views 81 replies 52 participants last post by  Webtiger 
#1 ·
My Dart has 900 miles on it and so far the car has been great. I checked my oil and it appeared to be right at the top of the full mark. I have been doing some research and some people have reported that the 1.4L does use some oil between oil changes. One of my main reasons for buying the Dart was because I wanted a new car with a warranty. I do not want to worry about checking the oil all the time. I can understand some cars use oil but I viewed some threads where people were using a quart every 700 miles.

I am very handy with working on cars but after years of working on cars it is time for a break. My last car (2004 Sable) was a great car but it was getting old and it seems every other week I was having to repair it. The last straw is when the alternator went out in 20 degree weather. The alternator was a bear to get to as it has to come out through the bottom of the car. That was when I decided it was time for a new car. All we all know cars today are not cheap and it does not seem right to have to keep checking the oil on a brand new car.

Again I have not noticed this problem and I hope it never appears or the car is going to the dealer. Of course I drive my car with an easy foot and don't really race my car.

Has anyone experienced their 1.4L Turbo using oil?

See less See more
#67 ·
I have a little over 75 580 klms on my dart and I have pulled the dipstick at least 4 times and there hasn't been a stain on there completely bare. Not once did a light or message come on in the car stating low oil ect... Recently had the engine light come on and brought it too the local Mr. Lube to have a reader put on it, can't remember the exact code it was in the 1000 range and the mechanic said it would likely be a misfire code or timing code ect. So I had it reset two days ago... Today I start the car and drive my fiancé to work and guess what... Engine light comes back on. Back to Mr. Lube to put the reader back onand it give up 0299 turbo under boost. So my question after my rant which is long winded lol is would running low on oil cause the turbo to fail or throw this code?

#68 ·
42K Miles - and I don't think it's ever used a drop of oil - and I do check it about halfway between changes. Just changed it myself last week, 4 quarts put it right back on the mark.
There was zero oil leakage in the engine compartment and under the car - far as I can tell.

If you think you are burning some - keep an eye on the ends of your tail pipe. Normally it should be nice and dry; but if you get some slick oily goo back there - you might have an issue.

#71 ·
out of the 17k that i have on my 2015 Aero... I have only had to add 1/4 of a quart, not too bad for a turbo engine imo

Reactions: sharkcohen
#73 ·
Unfortunately mine does, it's a 2013 with 59000 km on the clock. I had the oil changes done by the dealer since new, but got tired of the 100$ price tag for something I can easily do myself (I usually perform most of the work on my cars myself, I owned a large variety of 500$ clunkers over the years and used to have a modified Land Rover for off-roading). I've always waited for the "maintenance required" message on the display before taking it in, my last oil change was 12000 km and 8 months ago, done by the dealer.

At 58000 km, before starting the oil change I checked the level to see if there was any consumption, and none was showing on the dipstick. When I drained it, it was very dark. I changed the filter and poured 4 quarts in, and later called my dealer about this situation. The service rep immediately tells me that to build a case he needs records of consumption over a 20000 km period! He then told me that oil changes should be done every 10000 km or 6 months (I'm wondering if he's trying to feed me horsecr*p, 6 months for full synthetic seems short and because he told me when I bought the car to wait for the maintenance message before taking it in, besides the manual states to never exceed 16000 km between oil changes or 800 km after the message comes on).

So I checked every maintenance record since new and noticed that at my 46000 km appointment the tech put 5 quarts in. But there was no mention anywhere that the oil was low or that the tech who performed any of the oil changes noticed a consumption. I've driven 1000 km since my last oil change and haven't checked the level yet, to be continued...

#74 ·
I've had 3 oil changes on my dart. I always do it early, never wait for the mainenence / oil light to come on. I also periodically check my oil between changes. Each oil change I've had to add at least one full QT between changes. This most recent oil change it was 1.5 Qts.

Dealer (service manager) says that adjusting the turbo waste gate (WGA) is causing the turbo to "overboost" and is forcing the oil through the "PCV" valve and then it burns off. Because of that, they took pictures and supposedly listed it under my VIN and said they would deny the warranty of the engine failed, supposedly due to adjusting the Waste Gate. I'm not sure that is the reason my car is burning oil, but......

#76 ·
My 2013 Aero has the 1.4L, 6MT. I change the oil every 5k miles and usually end up putting a quart in it every 3k miles into the fresh oil. The car has 50k miles on it now. If you have an engine cover on yours I would look under it around coil pack #4 on the right. The oil seperator box near there has an o-ring connection to the valve cover that constantly goes bad. It's a known problem with our cars and could be a cause for some lost oil.

#77 ·
Now at 79k on my 1.4 6MT and it's taken to the dealer every 7,500 for oil changes. No consumption as of yet, and the oil actually still looks pretty good after 7,500.

#78 ·
I'm at 120000 and my 2013 turbo doesn't burn or leaks oil, after the fourth oil change performed by the dealer I decided to do it my self every 10000 miles. My issue right now is that I'm leaking anti freeze and can't pin point from where. I did notice the hose top right of radiator had evidence of anti freeze leaks so I put a new clamp and that stop there, I thought that was the problem but I guess it wasn't, there is several hoses running all over the engine. Before I take it in to get it look at, has anyone out there have had a similar problem? I will appreciate the input.

#82 ·
Last oil change was about 44000 now have 47,464 Km on the odometer
Went on a 1200 Km road trip about 10 days ago. Prior to and afterwards 90% city driving
This morning I got in the car and the *Change Oil* reminder flashed in the console for a second then went away
I drove the 5 - 6 km's to work and checked the oil. It was about a 1/4 low on the dipstick
Took the longer way home from work, about 10 Km's, checked the oil right after I shut the car off and.. 1/4 low on the dipstick

I'd seen this behavior before about 3 oil changes ago. Mentioned it to the dealer and they measured the oil after the 2nd last change and no loss. Of course up until today the level was always full
Guess it's time to have the dealer start tracking oil consumption :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.