Dodge Dart Forum banner

Gas Tank Door?

60K views 138 replies 62 participants last post by  josh16 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

It's been cold here and a little snowy (around 20 to degrees to 0) and my gas tanks door was stuck with ice for 4 days. Now don't get me wrong I love everything about my Dart and you can tell the quality of Dodge is so much improved compared to the past. However, the one thing that seems cheap is the gas door they used or the way it fits at least. My car is perfect other then this problem and I wish Dodge could support me on it.

There was a thread a while back on here that mentioned a couple people said their gas door didn't seem flush alighened with the car and also that it had frozen up and couldn't open with the button as well. A while back I had the dealership show me the trunk emergency handle which can open the gas tank from the trunk. The 4 days my tank was frozen the emergency trunk release worked 1 out of the 4 days (when there was ice of course) it always work in normal weather.

Now I look at the top of my gas door and from above there is a huge gap in my door. Snow/Ice has easily gotten in the little compartment inside, but not the actually locked gas tank which has the screw cap on. I started lightly pulling the door saying to the workers see I can almost open the tank by pulling on it. I was immidetely stopped and said that I don't want to make things worse.

It wasn't like I pulled it to begin with to make it like that though. For a brand new car I told them it shouldn't be like that. I was told that I just got ice stuck around the edges of the tank (and the hinge inside) and I just have to clear it away to get it to open. However, how do you clear the ice inside the hinge frozen and the outside when the tank won't even open!?

When I go to get my racetrack lights I'm coming back and going to mention that. I shouldn't have to use a key to peel the ice away from the outside either. Even if I did that the hinge far in my tank (probably because of the gap on top was frozen)

Once again I want to say this is the only quality issue I've came across and if they give me a better gas door or replacement at least I will be happy with everything!

I know other people have had problems as well, so if you want please write a message regarding if you have a frozen door, misaligned door and I will bring your responses to my dealership for them to read. Dodge customer service has also said they haven't got any complaints about it.

Luckily I keep my gas halfway or above. I tried going to the gas station 3 times and it didn't open up. The top of the gas cap where there is the space also looks like it is a little bent as well! The car is amazing, but they kinda cheaped out on the gas door. I want a replacement! So I can actually open my gas door :D
Even when it was starting to be a little warmer it would open then not open.
My car isn't garage kept which would certainly help.. I understand even the best fuel doors in the world might still freeze. However, when you have a gap in your door I just see it as prone to freezing even more! Should the hinges inside the gas tank get a chunk block of ice?

The dealership tried it 3 times and it worked each time. However it was 10 to 15 degrees warmer, inside their garage when being done, and my car sat out in the sun that actually shined the first time in many days. You could tell all the ice had melt away.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a rubber gasket all the way around the inside of the fuel door opening. This was a really, really stupid idea, as it causes the fuel doors to freeze shut when they get moisture on them. I've been using Tire Shine type stuff on that gasket, and it's helped keep the gasket from freeze-gluing to the fuel door.

#3 ·
I also have experienced my gas door freezing shut...I have had to get complete strangers to keep pushing my gas door button while I try and pry it open with my fingers...I also agree that the gas door does not sit flush with the rear quarter panel.

#5 · (Edited)
I do want to say I love my dealership! They are always great and friendly. I will bring my Dart in again and get this looked at a little more closer. That is what my warranty is for and I'm going to try and tell them for a brand new car I at least want to try and get the door replaced or so it sits flush with the car.

Just to mention again I'm such a huge supporter of Chrysler/Dodge and I just want this one issue fixed so then the car will look perfect! Today I went through a parking lot and noticed every single car's door and it sits perfectly alighned for the most part with the car. It started snowing again at 25 degrees and sure enough the tank door wouldn't open. When I came back to my car there was snow/ice wedged in that gap of the tank ready to freeze. I took a closeup pic of it so I hope it shows.

If it comes out and I get it uploaded I will post my tank door pic here soon.

#7 · (Edited)
I counted 30+ Dart owners on here from various threads who have had a problem with the gas door out of alighned and frozen as well. I have written a word document containing the problem, many quotes of those 30+ Dart owners and 3 Darts pictures with misaligned gas tanks. I took one of my car's today.

The problem is that the large gap in the tank is causing snow to go in it and even inside the gas compartment and it turns to ice and won't let the gas tank open. That is why my hinge inside had a complete bar of ice right when you open it. I'm bringing this sheet to my dealership to have them take a look at.

I called Dodge/Chrysler support letting them know I have 30 Dart users who have mentioned the same problem. I always get on the phone. "Ohh I haven't heard about that problem."

Well anyone who has a problem with their gas tank call Dodge and let them write a complaint about it! It's interesting how they say that when I have proof of 30 people saying they have had a problem? I love the company, but I'm not going to sit here and let them have this problem go un-noticed. A brand new car you shouldn't have to use the emergency gas latch.. even that was a struggle! the instant light snow comes or cold. It wasn't even that bad a few times it was 20-25 degrees when it wasn't working.

#12 ·
So at another Dart forum another 8 or 9 people are having a similar problem. Glad I'm not alone, now we can actually get something done. Spending money a brand new car you shouldn't have to use the emergency gas door trunk latch (and even that is a question if it will work always) I have heard so many problems of this there should be a recall on the part I think even.

#14 ·
The question is what should they do then. If they just replace the door who is to say the new door will be alligned with the car. It won't stop the freezing opening issue as well. Maybe they can do something with the hinge, but this is why the company has to be aware of it and of course the dealerships that can actually do the work. There has to be a solution found for this.

#16 ·
Would that be impossible for Dodge to produce metal replacement doors now that all the plastic ones are out? Yeah the seal sounds like a good idea. That is a start because that opening I have on top as I mentioned gets ice around the entire door space and inside it freezing everything. If it is sealed at least it would get into the hinge joint.

#18 · (Edited)
That's interesting. Could it be that they are having a bunch of people mentioning the problem and they are discussing it? The customer service person I talked to hadn't heard of the problem, but said she would definitely write it down when she heard I had the 30 other Dart owners mentioning it. Look forward to hearing what their response back is.

What was their reaction, did the person say they haven't heard of that issue?

#20 · (Edited)
I'm glad to hear this. I'm going to email Chrysler/Dodge my page of the 30 quotes and counting of people's reaction to the gas door. I have 3 pictures of Darts with the misaligned gas tank. I will post later tonight my own gas tank that shows new snowfall going all inside the gaps which if I didn't brush off would of froze. The snow that also gets in can easily get to the very part of the hinge that is supposed to bend freezing a bar of ice there as well. I will be bringing this to the dealership, but once the corporate gets more info from people and we get answers.

#21 ·
I've been dealing with this all winter. Frozen shut again last night. For my latest trick, I had a notebook in my car, so I ripped out a sheet of paper, and folded it over and over until it was just thick enough to slide between the body and filler door. So far this has worked the best for me. Popped rite open. I slid the paper in from the space on top of cover to the back where the latch is.

#22 ·
Good method, but you shouldn't have to do that. I think we can all agree to that. For a brand new car I shouldn't have to use that method or the emergency trunk release.

Now I understand even the most reliable amazing car in the world might have a frozen gas door in the cold. However, even when it is just a little cold it does this problem. Even the emergency trunk release is skeptical if it is very frozen.

#23 ·
Mine lines up perfectly but it still freezes a little bit. A couple slaps on the door, and it opens right up. No biggie in my case.

I have never been a fan of remote doors. I'd rather just have one like my Liberty, a manually opening door with a little finger indentation.

#24 ·
I'm still going to keep pressing this, but maybe mine just needs the door aligned or a replacement door in order to have it aligned. When I go in for the racetrack lighting I will get it looked at again. Still can't wait to hear Chrysler's response because so many people are having the same issue. I feel confident that they will have a solution though. Does anyone know how it is for the Chargers? Do they also have a button that opens them up remotely?

#26 ·
Personally, I think it's your Dart's way of telling you to either keep her in a garage or move to a slightly warmer winter climate area. Seriously. Only GTI's,Civic's and maybe Sonic's should be left out in such harsh elements! It's just wrong.
It just snowed and it's darn cold. Do you know where your Dart is ? I hope not here. A frozen gas cap would be low on the priority list, Yo... :
View attachment 6871

#27 ·
Any updates from people who have called Chrysler? Keep reporting the situation!
I'm probably just going to have my dealership take a second look at it. It needs at least a new door I know that for sure. It always had a great deal of wobble and that crack in there makes it prone to freezing even when it's in the 30 degrees. Yesterday it took three times hitting the button to finally open.

#32 ·
I had this happen to me a few nights ago when it was very cold here in Indiana. I gave it a solid thump with my hand and I was then able to make it release. I didn't know about the emergency handle in the trunk until I read it above, will try that next time...

#33 ·
Had it happen to me again this morning, 2/19, in mid-Missouri. It was below freezing and windy, but no frost on the windows. It's like the damn gas door is designed to attract any amount of nearby water and use it to glue itself shut. Next dealer service is pretty soon. I'm going to complain about it again, and then call Chrysler, because I already know the tech at the dealership is going to push the button, watch the gas door open, and then shrug his shoulders.

#34 ·
That's what happened to me. Tried it when it was warmer and inside their garage. I was focused on it opening and didn't even show them that my the open gap on top which I will next time I go.
I can actually see the hinge of my gas tank inside looking from the top of it.

#35 ·
If they are going to deny that its an issue because the ice melts inside of the garage, how about taking a video of trying to pop it and use the emergency latch to no avail? No reason why the emergency latch should even be a considered a primary method of getting the door open. anyone try lining the rim of the gas thing with rubber?

#39 ·
Hey guys, had the same problem....finally put some lithium grease on seal. That didn't work, and even though my fuel door is rather tight with very little gap, it constantly freezes. I just started popping it open randomly to avoid it freezing shut. Needs to be addressed by Dodge. ;))

#40 ·
Feel free to call up Chrysler/Dodge customer service and file a complaint. The more the better so far we have had about 3 people voice their concern. I didn't enjoy hearing "Oh we haven't heard about this problem" to every customer rep person I talked to so something has to be done :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.