Dodge Dart Forum banner

Gas Tank Door?

60K views 138 replies 62 participants last post by  josh16 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

It's been cold here and a little snowy (around 20 to degrees to 0) and my gas tanks door was stuck with ice for 4 days. Now don't get me wrong I love everything about my Dart and you can tell the quality of Dodge is so much improved compared to the past. However, the one thing that seems cheap is the gas door they used or the way it fits at least. My car is perfect other then this problem and I wish Dodge could support me on it.

There was a thread a while back on here that mentioned a couple people said their gas door didn't seem flush alighened with the car and also that it had frozen up and couldn't open with the button as well. A while back I had the dealership show me the trunk emergency handle which can open the gas tank from the trunk. The 4 days my tank was frozen the emergency trunk release worked 1 out of the 4 days (when there was ice of course) it always work in normal weather.

Now I look at the top of my gas door and from above there is a huge gap in my door. Snow/Ice has easily gotten in the little compartment inside, but not the actually locked gas tank which has the screw cap on. I started lightly pulling the door saying to the workers see I can almost open the tank by pulling on it. I was immidetely stopped and said that I don't want to make things worse.

It wasn't like I pulled it to begin with to make it like that though. For a brand new car I told them it shouldn't be like that. I was told that I just got ice stuck around the edges of the tank (and the hinge inside) and I just have to clear it away to get it to open. However, how do you clear the ice inside the hinge frozen and the outside when the tank won't even open!?

When I go to get my racetrack lights I'm coming back and going to mention that. I shouldn't have to use a key to peel the ice away from the outside either. Even if I did that the hinge far in my tank (probably because of the gap on top was frozen)

Once again I want to say this is the only quality issue I've came across and if they give me a better gas door or replacement at least I will be happy with everything!

I know other people have had problems as well, so if you want please write a message regarding if you have a frozen door, misaligned door and I will bring your responses to my dealership for them to read. Dodge customer service has also said they haven't got any complaints about it.

Luckily I keep my gas halfway or above. I tried going to the gas station 3 times and it didn't open up. The top of the gas cap where there is the space also looks like it is a little bent as well! The car is amazing, but they kinda cheaped out on the gas door. I want a replacement! So I can actually open my gas door :D
Even when it was starting to be a little warmer it would open then not open.
My car isn't garage kept which would certainly help.. I understand even the best fuel doors in the world might still freeze. However, when you have a gap in your door I just see it as prone to freezing even more! Should the hinges inside the gas tank get a chunk block of ice?

The dealership tried it 3 times and it worked each time. However it was 10 to 15 degrees warmer, inside their garage when being done, and my car sat out in the sun that actually shined the first time in many days. You could tell all the ice had melt away.

See less See more
#136 ·
I'm going to try and resurrect an old thread here. The solenoid in my 2013 Ltd finally died after multiple freezing episodes. I can only get gas by opening it from the trunk. Any chance someone has pulled parts off a wrecked 2015 Dart and replaced the overcomplicated junk with the newer push style door mechanism?

#137 ·
I have trouble with freezing, but give it a little fist bump before I hit the release button when cold. I'm afraid of trying to force it when it's cold which could lead to premature failure. I also believe that my cover does not close 100% which allows water/moisture to migrate in and freeze parts of the cover.

#139 ·
Apply white lithium grease to the locking mechanism and seal. I did this to mine at the beginning of the winter and it hasn’t frozen yet (even in -30 weather). Just make sure you wipe down the inside of gas door if you wash the car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.