Dodge Dart Forum banner

Gas Tank Door?

60K views 138 replies 62 participants last post by  josh16 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

It's been cold here and a little snowy (around 20 to degrees to 0) and my gas tanks door was stuck with ice for 4 days. Now don't get me wrong I love everything about my Dart and you can tell the quality of Dodge is so much improved compared to the past. However, the one thing that seems cheap is the gas door they used or the way it fits at least. My car is perfect other then this problem and I wish Dodge could support me on it.

There was a thread a while back on here that mentioned a couple people said their gas door didn't seem flush alighened with the car and also that it had frozen up and couldn't open with the button as well. A while back I had the dealership show me the trunk emergency handle which can open the gas tank from the trunk. The 4 days my tank was frozen the emergency trunk release worked 1 out of the 4 days (when there was ice of course) it always work in normal weather.

Now I look at the top of my gas door and from above there is a huge gap in my door. Snow/Ice has easily gotten in the little compartment inside, but not the actually locked gas tank which has the screw cap on. I started lightly pulling the door saying to the workers see I can almost open the tank by pulling on it. I was immidetely stopped and said that I don't want to make things worse.

It wasn't like I pulled it to begin with to make it like that though. For a brand new car I told them it shouldn't be like that. I was told that I just got ice stuck around the edges of the tank (and the hinge inside) and I just have to clear it away to get it to open. However, how do you clear the ice inside the hinge frozen and the outside when the tank won't even open!?

When I go to get my racetrack lights I'm coming back and going to mention that. I shouldn't have to use a key to peel the ice away from the outside either. Even if I did that the hinge far in my tank (probably because of the gap on top was frozen)

Once again I want to say this is the only quality issue I've came across and if they give me a better gas door or replacement at least I will be happy with everything!

I know other people have had problems as well, so if you want please write a message regarding if you have a frozen door, misaligned door and I will bring your responses to my dealership for them to read. Dodge customer service has also said they haven't got any complaints about it.

Luckily I keep my gas halfway or above. I tried going to the gas station 3 times and it didn't open up. The top of the gas cap where there is the space also looks like it is a little bent as well! The car is amazing, but they kinda cheaped out on the gas door. I want a replacement! So I can actually open my gas door :D
Even when it was starting to be a little warmer it would open then not open.
My car isn't garage kept which would certainly help.. I understand even the best fuel doors in the world might still freeze. However, when you have a gap in your door I just see it as prone to freezing even more! Should the hinges inside the gas tank get a chunk block of ice?

The dealership tried it 3 times and it worked each time. However it was 10 to 15 degrees warmer, inside their garage when being done, and my car sat out in the sun that actually shined the first time in many days. You could tell all the ice had melt away.

See less See more
#87 ·
Exactly and it's a much better unit than the original. Even with it completely iced over it still popped open.

Reactions: grashoper
#85 ·
For the first time in a while I didn't have to use the manual release when filling up today. Of course it hit 57 degrees here. Next time my change oil light comes on, I'll have the dealership fix mine too.

Early build date of July 2012, hit the dealer's lot in August 2012 and purchased a year ago Sunday (February 23rd). I might have 9,300 miles on SlartiDartfast by then.

#103 ·
I was at the dealership yesterday, looking through the dart pamphlet while I was sitting there waiting, and there is a picture of a black and a tungsten dart driving I believe. If you look at the black dart, you can see its gas door isn't even flush either lol

#105 ·
From what I gather, there is an updated fuel door bracket that fixes te alignment issue as well as beefs up the whole assembly. The '14 GT I looked at had a perfect fuel door.

#109 ·
That's great... you may be one of the lucky ones :) However, I really do believe the new design is far superior, and was probably NOT cheap to re-design and get out as quickly as they did. I know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" well... but I'd go check it out regardless.

#111 ·
^^ Looks good to me. The gap seems uniform all the way around.

#114 ·
Hhhmmm, maybe. Fitment wise, the 200 "should" be easier due to the body line/crease being in the middle of the door as supposed to the Dart which has the crease very close to the too of the door.

#115 · (Edited)
just found this helpful video (sarcasm), showing how the New Cherokees Gas Door works... pretty sure they could use that same video for the Dart, minus the slightly different release button location...

my bad, that was for a Grand Cherokee... just looked around a bit more, it looks like from what I read on the Cherokee forum that it is exactly like the darts, button in the door, emergency release behind a panel in the tailgate area...

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-...ion/6610-question-about-fuel-filler-door.html

#116 ·
Mine was replaced last week, part number 68090635-AJ Housing F 14086002

It's aligned better, although the painted fuel door still looks like crap with the original orange peeled paint from the factory.

Looks like the seal is a little different, we will see what happens.

#118 ·
Got my new hinge/door assembly installed on Monday, works with reckless abandon, I think i could spank someone who walked by with it if I wanted to now. Unfortunately the emergency release, not a part of the replacement part, isn't working correctly now (it doesn't retract after you pull it, glad I tried testing it when I picked up the car), it has to go in again for that now...

I agree with @dartgt, it looks like they not only change the spring strength, it also looks like the seal lip is different.

#121 ·
Lol yeah right... I actually have a case # with engineers and with Chrysler see what they do about this issue we all are having notice the 2015 has a push panel gas lid cover with a RUBBER SEAL go figure right,now to bad dodge won't make a recall and replace everyone who is having this issue, with that new set up just like the 15.

#122 ·
I thought a recall was about a safety issue. There is a tech bulletin about the problem it got my 2013 fixed when I asked about it. I don't think the new cars have a locking cover. There is no rubber seal on the fix on my car. There is a better drain and a stronger spring.

#124 ·
Sounds like you have a different problem. The trunk on my car would always release. Is your car an early 2014? a number of people here have said the new cars just pull open there is no more electric lock. It sucks when a new product of any type does not work properly. What is far worse is when the manufacturer does nothing about the problem. If mine got fixed there should be a solution out there for all of you with the same problem.

#125 ·
Everyone check out TSB#23-017-13A or 14-60-17-95 it addresses these issues. I wish I could attach the PDF of the repair, but it is 5 pages and is over the size limit of the forum.

View attachment 2301713_pdf.pdf

#126 ·
I had my entire fuel neck assembly replaced under warranty last Thursday. I was in for my first oil change and told them the door had poor fitment and was freezing shut. They ordered the parts and fixed it right up, no hassle at all. The door now fits perfectly flush. I cant speak yet to whether it freezes anymore because I haven't had to get gas yet.

#130 ·
Seriously, after I had the TSB completed last winter (see earlier post #118) I think my door could flip pancakes, I haven't had any signs of freezing issues since then, plus the new emergency cord (separate issue) hangs out the hole in the trunk liner perfectly (before they replaced it, you could hardly reach it with your finger tips).

If dealers are giving you the run around go through this thread, the right TSB numbers and the right part numbers are there, go into the dealer informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.