Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

Gas Tank Door?

This is a discussion on Gas Tank Door? within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; I've been dealing with this all winter. Frozen shut again last night. For my latest trick, I had a notebook in my car, so I ...

User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Gas Tank Door?

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Journey Crossroad 2007 Chevy HHR 1993 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    Liked
    277 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been dealing with this all winter. Frozen shut again last night. For my latest trick, I had a notebook in my car, so I ripped out a sheet of paper, and folded it over and over until it was just thick enough to slide between the body and filler door. So far this has worked the best for me. Popped rite open. I slid the paper in from the space on top of cover to the back where the latch is.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Bright Silver SXT- 2.0 Automatic w/ Popular Equipment Group
    Liked
    168 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dart View Post
    I've been dealing with this all winter. Frozen shut again last night. For my latest trick, I had a notebook in my car, so I ripped out a sheet of paper, and folded it over and over until it was just thick enough to slide between the body and filler door. So far this has worked the best for me. Popped rite open. I slid the paper in from the space on top of cover to the back where the latch is.
    Good method, but you shouldn't have to do that. I think we can all agree to that. For a brand new car I shouldn't have to use that method or the emergency trunk release.

Now I understand even the most reliable amazing car in the world might have a frozen gas door in the cold. However, even when it is just a little cold it does this problem. Even the emergency trunk release is skeptical if it is very frozen.
    Bright Silver Metallic SXT-
    2.0 Automatic w/ Popular Equipment Group

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is at KZX status!!

Vehicle
    2010 Jeep Liberty Renegade, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
    Mods
    Do we really want to go here with the number of mods on my Jeep?
    Liked
    98 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine lines up perfectly but it still freezes a little bit. A couple slaps on the door, and it opens right up. No biggie in my case.

I have never been a fan of remote doors. I'd rather just have one like my Liberty, a manually opening door with a little finger indentation.
    '10 Liberty Renegade - Deep Water Blue with mods
    '13 Dart Rallye, 1.4L, 6 Speed Manual, Redline Red, every single option that could possibly be checked...

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Liked
    168 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still going to keep pressing this, but maybe mine just needs the door aligned or a replacement door in order to have it aligned. When I go in for the racetrack lighting I will get it looked at again. Still can't wait to hear Chrysler's response because so many people are having the same issue. I feel confident that they will have a solution though. Does anyone know how it is for the Chargers? Do they also have a button that opens them up remotely?

Newb
    Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 SXT 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual...tungsten
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedart View Post
    Hi guys,

It's been cold here and a little snowy (around 20 to degrees to 0) and my gas tanks door was stuck with ice for 4 days. Now don't get me wrong I love everything about my Dart and you can tell the quality of Dodge is so much improved compared to the past. However, the one thing that seems cheap is the gas door they used or the way it fits at least. My car is perfect other then this problem and I wish Dodge could support me on it.

There was a thread a while back on here that mentioned a couple people said their gas door didn't seem flush alighened with the car and also that it had frozen up and couldn't open with the button as well. A while back I had the dealership show me the trunk emergency handle which can open the gas tank from the trunk. The 4 days my tank was frozen the emergency trunk release worked 1 out of the 4 days (when there was ice of course) it always work in normal weather.

Now I look at the top of my gas door and from above there is a huge gap in my door. Snow/Ice has easily gotten in the little compartment inside, but not the actually locked gas tank which has the screw cap on. I started lightly pulling the door saying to the workers see I can almost open the tank by pulling on it. I was immidetely stopped and said that I don't want to make things worse.

It wasn't like I pulled it to begin with to make it like that though. For a brand new car I told them it shouldn't be like that. I was told that I just got ice stuck around the edges of the tank (and the hinge inside) and I just have to clear it away to get it to open. However, how do you clear the ice inside the hinge frozen and the outside when the tank won't even open!?

When I go to get my racetrack lights I'm coming back and going to mention that. I shouldn't have to use a key to peel the ice away from the outside either. Even if I did that the hinge far in my tank (probably because of the gap on top was frozen)

Once again I want to say this is the only quality issue I've came across and if they give me a better gas door or replacement at least I will be happy with everything!

I know other people have had problems as well, so if you want please write a message regarding if you have a frozen door, misaligned door and I will bring your responses to my dealership for them to read. Dodge customer service has also said they haven't got any complaints about it.

Luckily I keep my gas halfway or above. I tried going to the gas station 3 times and it didn't open up. The top of the gas cap where there is the space also looks like it is a little bent as well! The car is amazing, but they kinda cheaped out on the gas door. I want a replacement! So I can actually open my gas door
    Even when it was starting to be a little warmer it would open then not open.
    My car isn't garage kept which would certainly help.. I understand even the best fuel doors in the world might still freeze. However, when you have a gap in your door I just see it as prone to freezing even more! Should the hinges inside the gas tank get a chunk block of ice?

The dealership tried it 3 times and it worked each time. However it was 10 to 15 degrees warmer, inside their garage when being done, and my car sat out in the sun that actually shined the first time in many days. You could tell all the ice had melt away.

I had this problem a few times, then I just gave the door a tug up and for about 2 months now I haven't had a problem... I wouldn't recommend this but it worked for me.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

is The resident forum BARD.

Vehicle
    '14 Avenger SE/Rallaye Pkg. V6 auto/tap shift. 18's & Eagles ;-} Former: Dart Turbo Man. loved him
    Liked
    1154 times
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think it's your Dart's way of telling you to either keep her in a garage or move to a slightly warmer winter climate area. Seriously. Only GTI's,Civic's and maybe Sonic's should be left out in such harsh elements! It's just wrong.
    It just snowed and it's darn cold. Do you know where your Dart is ? I hope not here. A frozen gas cap would be low on the priority list, Yo... :
    Attachment 6871
    King Crimson , Dad's 2013 SXT 1.4T 6speed manual - Traded/put up for adoption Aug2014 - His journey will continue as any good son's adventure should.....
    Currently re-fitting the Dart Cave into Avenger Command Central for the Phoenix Phlyer -

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Liked
    168 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates from people who have called Chrysler? Keep reporting the situation!
    I'm probably just going to have my dealership take a second look at it. It needs at least a new door I know that for sure. It always had a great deal of wobble and that crack in there makes it prone to freezing even when it's in the 30 degrees. Yesterday it took three times hitting the button to finally open.

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is loving his RACE TRACK LIGHTING

Vehicle
    Dodge Dart 2013, Jeep Compass 2012 and Ford f-150 Heritage
    Mods
    LED LIGHTING IN INTERIOR.
    Liked
    29 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update contacted Chrysler have a case number but was told to bring it to my dealer Car going in for oil change Wednesday. They will be looking at the gas door and dash around touch screen Will update when I hear something

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went up north with my dart to indiana to see my family. What i did to solve the issue was what i had to do to my old saab 900....I put cooking spray around the fuel door. Non stick of course.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2008 Jeep patriot
    Liked
    45 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used silicone lubricant spray that comes in a can that I got from my local hardware store, forget the brand, but it works quite well on a lot of different things like door hinges, etc. I wonder if that would be helpful for this problem?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads