Follow Us On Follow us on Google Plus Follow us on Facebook
Register

Warm up

This is a discussion on Warm up within the Dodge Dart General Discussion forums, part of the Dodge Dart Forum - Dodge Dart Discussion category; While it doesn't get real cold here I at least let the water temp get to 90. By that time the RPMs drop closer to ...

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Warm up

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

is Not driving right now but wish
    I was!

Vehicle
    2013 Dart Limited
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it doesn't get real cold here I at least let the water temp get to 90. By that time the RPMs drop closer to normal idle. In the summer I give it at least 1 minute to distribute oil to all the parts. With the remote start it's very easy. Start as I walk towards the door and by the time I get in buckle up and choose my music for the day it's good to go!

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    Citrus Peel Rallye, 1.4L Multiair Turbo, DDCT
    Liked
    14 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm paranoid about damaging my first turbo car, so I always let it at least lift off the bottom of the temp-gauge before driving off.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Limited in Redline Red, 1.4L turbo w/ 6-spd
    Mods
    Tork STS,FMIC and CAI, MPx IC pipes and ported TB, Deyeme 3-mount set
    Liked
    289 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myfurf61 View Post

I said O2 rich air. At altitude the O2 content of the air is less than at sea level. So, the people at higher altitudes would probably see a benefit, those closer to sea level will see, more than likely, a decrease in mpg. That is why there is an O2 sensor involved as an input for performance and efficiency.
    You are not correct. The colder, denser air is still the same volume of air going in. There are just more o2 molecules in the same volume and o2 promotes more complete burning of fuel.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2008 Jeep patriot
    Liked
    45 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm old school and I've always waited a few minutes to be sure the oil is warmed up a bit and then drive off. I do not just let the car sit and idle for a long time as I think the oil pressure may be low and the top end of the engine isn't getting lubed properly.

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4 w/ddct. 2009 Chevy HHR SS 5-speed manual. (Smurfinator)
    Mods
    Injen CAI,VG Shark fin Antenna,Tork Hot/Cold Charge pipes,AVS window deflectors,DMR Hood Struts,Dash
    Liked
    150 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klockmi View Post
    You are not correct. The colder, denser air is still the same volume of air going in. There are just more o2 molecules in the same volume and o2 promotes more complete burning of fuel.
    Duh, ain't that what I just said. Air is just air, it is the O2 content in that air that makes the difference. The higher in altitude you go, the less the O2 density/content.
    Last edited by Myfurf61; 01-22-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is weighing value of warranty vs.
    Mod addiction

Vehicle
    2013 Dart Rallye Turbo Manual trans, Navi, etc.
    Mods
    28% Tint around and 5% windshield Plasti-Dip badges and wheels, GoPedal, Hard rear mount, Injen SR
    Liked
    113 times
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear it may not be necessary with modern cars, but it's a habit. I start it right when I get in, then I adjust, put on seat belt, plug phone or whatever. Look at stars. Anyway, I let it warm for at least 30 seconds from start and then go easy on it until warmed up. I have a diesel truck also and it is a MUST to let it warm up - Diesel trucks are sleeeeeepy until warm
    Dart part Deux is a GO! Time to start the Mods all over again

Tire Carrier
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard it also may not be necessary with modern cars. I never thought that made sense though. It just seems like one should warm up their car especially on cold days to get the fluids moving properly.

Car Chief
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dodge Dart Limited Special Edition Blue Streak Peal 1.4T 6MT
    Mods
    Bunch o' shit...
    Liked
    2247 times
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by testrage View Post
    Most engines warm up best by being driven lightly. However, it's never a good idea to drive your car right away upon cold start in any weather but especially when it's cold outside. Machined tolerances within today's engine blocks/pistons/valves, etc are very tight and are designed to operate best at an optimum engine temperature. As such, there are sometimes slight material interferences that go away as the block warms. These "interferences" aren't "mission disabling" in any sense to use automotive design jargon.

You would be shocked at what happens inside your engine when it is started during cold weather and the thermodynamics associated with a cold start.
    What? Have you ever built a motor? I have and what you just said is wrong. Colder engine parts will have larger tolerances than warmer engine parts. This is why some engines rattle when cold. Valve lash and or piston-to-cylinder wall tolerances may be too great when cold and you may have piston slap or valve clatter.

Also, letting a cold engine idle is not good. Try to keep it at a minimum. When a motor is cold it runs richer than when it's warm. Some people call it cold start warm-up. Letting a cold engine idle excessively can wash down the cylinder walls with fuel and this can contaminate your engine oil prematurely. People who live in cold climates and do not preheat their engine with a block heater or a Kats coolant heater will need to change their oil more frequently to prolong their engine life.

Personally, I let my engines idle for about 10 seconds prior to driving them to ensure the motor has cycled the engine oil through itself. This will prevent the cylinder walls from washing out with fuel and it will allow the motor to warm up quicker. It also helps out the fuel mileage too
    Ordered 1/10/13
    Took Delivery 03/30/13

2013 Dodge Dart Limited Special Edition.
    1.4T 6MT
    Modifications: Click here for my build thread.

Jackman
    Rank

Rep

is wondering why the rum's
    gone...

Vehicle
    2001 Sebring
    Liked
    278 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to new manufacturing technology and metallurgy it isnt necessary to warm up an engine anymore. As was stated before about 10seconds to make sure the oil is where it needs to be is all you need :-)

Master Mechanic
    Rank

Rep

This user has no status.

Vehicle
    2013 Dart Limited 2005 Mustang GT
    Mods
    MagnaFlow Catback Tork CAI Tork STS Custom Paintwork
    Liked
    354 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Warm up

Yeah... ill keep letting mine warm up. This motor (1.4) sounds and runs awful when freezing cold. And ill also keep changing my oil at 4k not the crazy ass factory recommended 8k. Old school things that have been passed to me when it comes to car care will never change.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads