Dodge Dart Forum banner

Dart in top 15 of worst cars to buy?

17K views 61 replies 33 participants last post by  Big had 
#1 ·
Just read this today in Forbes. They quoted Consumer Reports as a source. I just bought my 16 Dart and love it this far. I love the looks and the interior. I have the 2.0 and will agree it is slow. And I did research and discovered the 13 models had issues with sudden engine stall. But that seems to be all fixed by 15. And I am aware Dodge is supposed to dump this line end of 16.
As my commuter car I think this car is great. So, here is a question for all of you longer owners.
How many miles you have on your Dart? Any issues? Any common concerns that seem to show up around xx miles or things to check for by xx miles?
All cars have their own issues. For example ford rangers have camshaft synchronizer go bad about 100k and those in the "know" simply change it out regardless if symptoms are not showing.
This Dart replaced a Saturn Ion I owned new since 2004 and it had 178k miles when I just sold it to a buddy and I suspect the car is good for another 100k. This Dart of mine I intend to keep just as long, at least I sure hope to, so I really want to be in front of the known issues per say.
Thank you in advance for educating me on things the owners manual won't tell you and the dealerships won't mention.

#50 ·
Got my 13 Dart Limited 1.4 with the 6 ddc with every option except the HIDs. TCM replaced 3 times, with several flash updates in between, tranny was replaced at 24k. Once in a great while, the bluetooth and heated seats have a glitch, so I just shut the car off and let it cycle and restart the engine. The wife gets 30+ mpg on her daily 40 mile rt to work. Resale on the other hand is not what I was expecting but I'm keeping it for the long haul anyways. There is 36k on the odometer now.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

#54 ·
Well,my new dart had a front turn signal go out then after I shut it off and turned it back on it was fine. Oh my goodness! Ugghh.
As for the 2.0 I have found peace with it and actually am starting to like it as a commuter drive. It is starting to have more power then I first thought. It does shift a lot, ha ha ha. And for sure it is not my Z06 vette in the power range, but it's all good. Now back to that turn signal issues, wtf? It's brand new! Oh lord will this be just like my old Saturn with a wiring issue? Ugghh.

#55 ·
Just hit 28k miles on my 14 SXT (Manuel/2.4L) and we had the clutch master cylinder go out, while it was in the shop for that it was looked at for the starting and shutting off after about 5 seconds of being on, and now I'm getting the break issue listed here. I'm getting more of a pedal is going to half and doing nothing and i need to pump the breaks to get it to start working again, but the booster not working is still happening in some way.

#56 ·
There's a recall for that, as noted here: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-tsb-s/28702-fca-recall-13-14-dart-2l-2-4l-incorrect-hose-routing.html

You should contact your dealer and mention that you are experiencing the symptoms (loss of braking functionality) noted in recall campaign R63. Tell them your car is unsafe, they can come and drag that sucker away until they can fix it, and you damned well expect a loaner or rental for as long as it takes to complete the recall if they can't get parts immediately.

#59 ·
The only difference between auto reviews and and movie reviews is that auto reviews, especially those found in consumer reports and the like, is the positives in the review are determined by the $ the manufacturer paid in advertising in the magazine. Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus, Mazda and BMW are the biggest ad clients these magazines have, of course they are going to give these companies cars better reviews. it's all about who reads these stupid magazines, who sponsors the adds and the magazine making money.....figure it out and stop reading these rags....do something productive like wax the car you love to drive and hate to read reviews about.

#62 · (Edited)
Stupid magazines? Really?
Here in the real world of fact and not opinion magazines like CR are VERY non biased. As stated by others who actually understand what they do and the service they provide. Ever notice top picks companies NEVER state CR rated them as such? Because, CR will sue them! My company is top rated year after year and all we can say is top rated by a national leading review company.
If I mentioned CR I would be in huge court problems! CR has never approached us for advertising or money, yet they rate us a Best Buy for over ten years. CR compiles data from customers and surveys, on top of their own intense in house reviews.
I am just stating facts, that's all. And correcting your ignorant statement based on opinion, not fact. As a reader of CR I can assure you me and the millions of others are not stupid people. I bought my dart after I read what they stated. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.