Dodge Dart Forum banner

Handling in snow

23K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Bianco 
#1 ·
How does your darts handle in the winter time, I just got mine and it's pretty torquey.

#7 ·
I live in Northern Ohio so I know what some bad snow storms look like. I have the 18in GT wheels, last summer I had very minimal tread left (well I actually still do :p ) but it handles great. Just know the limits of the car. If the roads are covered in snow, don't expect to go the speed limit and not start slipping and sliding. Especially on the highway. Like i said, I got through winter just fine, with less than the best tire conditions. Luckily just got some wheels and tires for this winter :)

I also have a manual and the lower 2 gears are extremely torquey. The autos will be much easier to control on take offs, but if you get stuck or trying to slow down the manual is the best for that. You can even start in 2nd for really snowy take offs and it would be better than the auto in that case.

#11 ·
did you buy a new car with new tires or a used car with miles on the tread. The kumhos do suck but if there brand new will probably be ok, I replaced my kumhos after 20 something thousand miles because they just became crap. My rule of thumb is if you buy a used car replace the tires with something you prefer.

#12 · (Edited)
It performed like any other front wheel drive. Just need to go slow on the take-off and give a lot of extra stopping room. The big issue I had was the low clearance. After the major snowfall we had in MD last year, it sat in the driveway for a couple weeks until the roads in the area were cleaned up enough (rural).... and a couple more while I continued to shovel the driveway clear. It was too much for pickup plows to clear out due to the amount and drifting. Snowblower almost made it to the go buy list, but that much snow isn't common enough to fork out the money. Couldn't even get out Expedition out until I was able to shovel a tire path.

#16 ·
Here in NOVA too. Lucky for me I have a nice snowblower from my Michigan days, lol.

#17 ·
Living in upstate NY - I got stuck in a good snow storm (schools closed etc.) and there was a solid few inches on the ground and it kept accumulating. With the stock tires (18in gt kuhmo tires) I couldn't get going from a dead stop. Had to have neighbors push me down the street to get to a partially cleared road. Needless to say I slapped on a set of winter tires on the stock wheels and my oh my it was a world of difference. I feel invincible in the snow now!

#19 ·
ya it all depends on the tires pal, the car itself is pretty much on par with its competitors in terms of stability control, traction control, and ABS which all help but at the end of the day, a good set of WINTER tires are your best bet! I'm an all-seasons kind of guy just because im a broke student lool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.