Dodge Dart Forum banner

Dealer says no more Darts...

14K views 68 replies 36 participants last post by  Blinker Fluid 
#1 ·
Stopped in at 2 different dealers today to check status of brake booster recall (booster and master cylinder still on national backorder) and was told by service managers at both dealers (suburban Chicago) that "they are not building any more"....I know the rumors on most of the websites after Sergio stated that FCA would outsource the next 200 and Dart but nowhere have I read that it's finished... anybody heard anything similar or are the dealers in this market wrong? Recently FCA even sent out a press release outlining the new Dart lineup so I wonder if they are reading something as "not building the Dart any more" when it is really saying "not building the '16 any more and will start building '17s next"??
Not happy...

#2 ·
whatever the dealer meant... i think the sad reality that we all have to face is that the dart is dead. sure, someone else might make them again, which would be a great surprise to hear, but i think its better for all of us to focus on the darts we own and love and not worry about anything else. if you are worried about lack of parts, isnt there some law that mandates chrysler to sell parts for X amount of years?

#64 ·
That stinks :(
I was lucky in that we leased the '14 so '16 was actually a better deal when finance rates and incentives are figured in vs the buy-out on the '14!
And I have had more comments on how the sport hood changes the whole character of the car! Hope you can find a way to make the buy!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

#6 ·
In terms of companies continuing to make cheap (they aren't cheap) aftermarket parts for this car this is baaaad news, however this dart club just got a lot more exclusive.
I seriously hope this is a prank though I have to say I love my car and I'm glad I picked up my 16 GT before the fallout if there is one.

#7 ·
Edit: duplicate post - weird opera mobile glitch.

#8 · (Edited)
Just this evening during the drive home I was thinking to myself... "are they going to make any 2017 Darts?". This is about the time of year that the car companies usually wind down production of the existing year's model while they get ready to make the next year's model. Given how FCA made an announcement just a few weeks ago that they had pared down the Dart to just three models (all but the GT being quite lackluster) it sure sounded to me like they were about to pull the plug. Honestly I really don't care, as it's FCA's loss, not ours. They had a really good car that could've been a perfect one had they rolled with it and made the small changes people were asking for (a little lighter and with a turbo 2.0 or 2.4). Unfortunately they never made enough money on this car to make it worth their while, and I guess you can blame cheap gas prices for the Dart's demise as much as FCA's corporate short-sightedness.

But this will be my last FCA product. Not because there is anything wrong with the car itself, but because I refuse to back a company that doesn't seem to know what the hell it is doing any longer. And that's coming from somebody who has three Mopars in the driveway.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Car dealer service managers are one step up from there janitors. I would not take there word for anything. The most recent news on the Belvidere Il. Assembly plant from April 8 2016 It was closing for one week. Last year the factory produced 97,754 Darts. They decline to say when production will end. Or possibly move to Mexico.

#13 ·
I went to my Dealer yesterday to have the brake booster checked and they ordered the part. I asked about the Dart not being made and when it goin to happen and they said they have got different info. They had about 12 Darts on the lot so I guess if anyone wants 1 contact the Dodge Dealer in Lancaster, Pa.

#16 ·
The rumor is production is supposed to stop late October. FCA just released info of new model arrangements coming out so I doubt they are stopping production already. It looks like they are decreasing models and combining options to finish out production for 2016. The dealers may be referring to the old models being phased out.

#17 ·
If I were to make a prediction, it would be that in the final phase of production you'll see a bunch of GT's with not only the desirable scooped hood, but also trimmed with front and rear diffuser, side effects, etc . Blinged Out to move units. Why do I say this ? Based on what they did with the Avenger at the final run in 2014.
The base model SE I got was on the lot with a couple others just like it with the "Rallye" trim package. You wound up getting the appearance package with larger wheels and tires and V6 almost for free by the time they gave all the multiple discounts just to move them out. The "Tribute Model" look at a cheap deal.
Let's see if that happens.

#18 ·
If I were to make a prediction, it would be that in the final phase of production you'll see a bunch of GT's with not only the desirable scooped hood, but also trimmed with front and rear diffuser, side effects, etc . Blinged Out to move units. Why do I say this ? Based on what they did with the Avenger at the final run in 2014.
The base model SE I got was on the lot with a couple others just like it with the "Rallye" trim package. You wound up getting the appearance package with larger wheels and tires and V6 almost for free by the time they gave all the multiple discounts just to move them out. The "Tribute Model" look at a cheap deal.
Let's see if that happens.
This would be awsome sad to see the Dart go but if they at least went out strong it wouldn't be so bad. Would be nice to see a "Tribute Model"

#19 ·
I know they're still building cars because the company I work for is still making parts for it. Granted it's not at the numbers we were producing.

#30 ·
I worry about vendor support when they finally can the dart. We have great vendors who have done a wonderful job on this dead platform, but there are still things people want(a not ugly ducktail spoiler for one ;) ) and developing now with the dart still in production is already difficult to justify, I cant see alot of vendors sticking around once its canceled.

#22 ·
I am only adding my own speculation here, and seeing how FCA has been playing musical chairs with their shifting around production of vehicles to different places, but why not? Sergio was at the Windsor plant for the roll out of the Pacifica a few weeks ago and threw out some tid-bit about Windsor might be getting the Chrysler 300 from the Brampton Plant, which also makes the Challenger and Charger, I guess. If so, then why do this? Would they ship those other two out to somewhere else and sell or lease that plant to another car manufacturer, or even Magna International, which is right in their own backyard, so that they could build the 200 and Dart replacements at that location? He did not want to say much more due to contract negotiations coming up in the Fall with their Union in Canada, Unifor. Something to watch, I guess.

#23 ·
They're playing musical factories because, for the most part, they need more space in some of them. Jeep namely. With word of the Grand Wagoneer/Wagoneer and JL variants coming, they needed a better, bigger factory; eventually due to political ties (and/or offers) they stayed where they are and are just upgrading and enlarging the factory (iirc); and that is just for JL. We still don't know enough about the Wagoneer family of vehicles yet.

The Charger, Challenger and 300 are still on old platforms from MB that are as old as 2003. They will likely redesign the 300 and Charger from the ground up, maybe even the Challenger. Lightening all three and keeping performance in the Dodge DNA. The 300 may even go fwd/awd for more interior space. For others, he needed to upgrade the ages-old factory equipment and prepare them for newer platforms and newer vehicles, like the Pacfica, and whatever else may be coming down the pipeline.

The reason the Dart and 200 are ending is because the market for sedans is shrinking as the market for crossovers grows, and they are not a competitive enough platform to make money. There is no SRT because it didn't meet the in-house standards for viability; there's no R/T because the Dart originally never had an R/T, it had a GT and GTS. It's just a trim level name.

The other reason is potential for a better platform for them later on. Marchione doesn't strike me as the person that doesn't have a backup plan if something goes awry. He says a great many conflicting things, but that is just to the media, who I'm sure he hates. lol

#24 ·
The reason the Dart and 200 are ending is because the market for sedans is shrinking as the market for crossovers grows, and they are not a competitive enough platform to make money. There is no SRT because it didn't meet the in-house standards for viability; there's no R/T because the Dart originally never had an R/T, it had a GT and GTS. It's just a trim level name.

The other reason is potential for a better platform for them later on. Marchione doesn't strike me as the person that doesn't have a backup plan if something goes awry. He says a great many conflicting things, but that is just to the media, who I'm sure he hates. lol
The Dart GT was originally going to be badged an R/T, but they made a late change for a couple of reasons. First, the original Dart had a GT, as you noted. Second, many people within Dodge apparently felt that what was being offered as the Dart R/T would sully the R/T brand.

As for Machione's plans, I remain skeptical. The man is an expert at turning failing companies around, which requires a whole different set of skills from managing the day to day operations of an ongoing concern. FCA has been nothing but turmoil, and has yet to go more than a year or two without blowing up all of their plans and restarting from scratch. The automotive industry isn't so volatile and unpredictable that it is impossible to draft a workable 5 year plan. FCA, however, apparently cannot do this. Anyway, I personally think that Machione took over Fiat because he love Ferrari more than he loves breathing. I have no idea why he hasn't moved on yet, to be honest.

#25 ·
Driving through Auburn Hills yesterday, There were Jeeps, Challengers, Chargers and a whole lot of Pacificas in front of the WPC Museum, only 1 Dart, and it was mine. The outside of FCA HQ was emblazoned with Jeep from top to bottom.
The compact sedan market has always been extremely tight, profit-wise....
In my opinion, we'll be lucky to get 5 years Dart production, without some major re-design.

#26 ·
With the Dart it has been one misstep after another. First they screwed up the initial launch and didn't have enough cars ready in the configurations people actually wanted. Then folks began to complain about the the various driveability issues with the engines, DDCT and manual, and the automotive press began to bash it for the same reasons. Sales failed to take off, in part because of the issues noted and Dodge's previous reputation for stinkers in the compact market. Most of the bugs were finally ironed out by 2014, but it was too little, too late. The drop in oil prices made compact cars less desirable and people began migrating back to the gas-guzzling SUVs they really wanted in the first place, and those who continue to buy compacts have chosen familiar and trusted brands like Toyota and Ford. The Dart basically reminds me of a track and field runner who is hyped up and promoted to the point where expectations are extremely high, and when race day finally comes and the starter gun goes bang he trips on his shoelaces and faceplants right into the ground. You don't recover from things like that, no matter how good you supposedly are.

#29 ·
Love my Dart GT and I dont care if its discontinued ( to me its exclusitivity ) as long as they support the product per legal obligations. I see the 2017 link so i guess its being resurrected ... I just hope to have mine for 5 years of drama free cruising. Mine is exactly what I wanted, a light bright red that stays amazingly clean.... Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Automotive design

#32 ·
The Hornet was a concept that Dodge had been working on from 2006 for a 2010 release date until it was killed in bankruptcy proceeding in 2009. When Fiat took over, they originally revived the concept on an unknown platform as a hatchback and coded it "PF". The initial plan was to release it in 2012 as the Dodge Hornet. It was certainly more than a mere rumor that it was going to be called the Hornet. However, for reasons unknown, that test vehicle was abandoned and a new "PF" was developed as a sedan based on a brand new modular version of the Giulietta's platform called Compact US Wide (CUSW). At some point they dropped the Hornet name and surprised everybody by officially rolling it out as the Dodge Dart.

#33 ·
Unlike most here, I haven't gotten mine yet. I was concerned they would stop taking orders soon, so put mine in on May 9th (was waiting for an SRT version, but when it was a no-go, decided to get a GT and go from there), dealer said I still had time, but it was getting close, at least on the 2016's. At the time he wasn't sure if 2017's would be built, or there would be an extended production run, and they would be badged 2017's.

I'm kind of wondering about mine now...but reading some of the posts it looks like they'll build them through October...perhaps calling them 2017's. A little worried about getting the "this is the end, so I don't give a sh-t built one".

I'll agree that they are consolidating packages and options. I went to the website and built the one I wanted. Brought it to the dealer and what he could order showed some of the packages and options brought together. One thing that they - the dealer - told me that was no longer available was the remote CD player. It's basically a Dart GT 6 M/T with all the bells and whistles, Sun/Sound, Tech Pkg. (dealer calls this the Premium Package which now includes the 8.4 NAV system), and Blacktop Pkg. I also was going for the Duel Exhaust pkg. with the ground effects and the Interior M/T Pkg. by Mopar...but they told me it was something they would have to order through the parts counter and put on themselves as it was no longer available from the factory. Not sure if that was always the case...but decided to get them myself (other than the shift knob) and put them on myself as it's a whole bunch cheaper. So if it's true about the 2016's, I might be getting one of the last GT with that 2016 tag on it, that would be interesting. Overall I was surprised at the difference b/w what the website gives you and what the dealer gives you. I'm guessing because production is winding down.

Does anyone know if Moparian, or anyone else can track a car through the factory with the VON? I would love to be able to do that, and pray that mine is being built on a Monday or Friday ;) I PM'd him, but he hasn't been on since Jan. Any help would be great!

#34 ·
Personally, I hate all these larger vehicles on the road but not because I hate them personally, I just cannot stand the way they block my view when at an intersection or parking lot exit. As far as continuing to sell the car goes, I guess that is their problem because I am happy with mine and will keep it as long as it will last. If it gets totaled, I will have to look for a used one in the future to replace it. Perhaps either that or a used Charger. (Just do not like the seats in the Charger since I prefer the ones that are in our Darts. :) )

#43 ·
My Dad's first car when he came back from Vietnam was a 68 Dart GT (unfortunately not a GTS or even with a 340), but still a cool car. One of these days I'd like to get one and restore it. Ironically a Dart GT will also my first new car, but with the big engine ;). I will definitely be in the 1%, this thing is getting modified...like most everything I've ever bought. I just can't seem to leave anything as the factory intended...the difference with this is, I've never done it on a new car. I'm curious to know what the dealer will let me get away with without throwing my warrantee out the window. I've already got the list of parts lined out!! I will wait the 3-years before the Turbo goes on...hopefully there still will be one available. Coming from the Shelby/Turbo-Dodge community...I should realize there will be...granted it was a different time and they built a sh-t ton of those. As long as there is a group like this who love their cars and want to improve upon them...there will. Might just cost a little more than usually...but then again, we're Dodge fans, we already know this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.