Dodge Dart Forum banner

HOW TO: Update your Garmin Maps in UConnect 8.4N RB5

272K views 258 replies 77 participants last post by  acieus 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer:
No talks of piracy, illegal links to download map files, fraudalent practices in obtaining GPS units etc. This is the guide to update your Garmin maps on your 8.4N RB5.
Use the following at your own risk; I am not responsible for breaking your system. I have come to realize though that this process mainly messes with the Map files, so if you screw up anything technically you can redo the process to fix it, it doesn't mess with the underlying Garmin software so that still gives you access to fix issues. The links below are not mine, again use at your own risk.

Using this method you can get quarterly updates for a flat one time cost of buying a GPS unit.
P.S. no you do not need to buy a brand new unit, you can buy broken units, as long as your PC can read and detect the GPS you are good to go (i.e. screen cracked units on eBay for cheap).

Tools required:
Garmin Nuvi LMT with ASR for CTP2012/2012.5 (3490/3590LMT/3597LMT guaranteed to work - 3580LMT reported to work)
Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT/3590LMT/3597LMT for CTP2012/2012.5/CTP13 (3580LMT reported to work)
gimgunlock
JetMouse
Garmin Express
8GB+ USB Stick (the systems are very picky about the USB drives... if one does not work try a different one... slower drives works best)
Reported working drives:
SanDisk Cruzer 8GB (CTP2012)
Lexar S50 8GB (CTP2012)
Kingston Digital 16GB DataTraveler 101 G2 (CTP13)
Kingston Digital 16GB DataTraveler 111

CTP2012 / 2012.5
1-Copy the Garmindevice.xml from the nuvi onto your USB stick to the folder Garmin/
2-Run Garmin Express
3-Download CN NT 2015.30 NA update
4-Garmin Express will download the files to the USB stick in folder .system/, keep only the following files/folders:
.system/ASR (folder+contents): *******0.SRX to *******3.ASR (only the first 4 sequential files)
.system/gmapprom.img
.system/GMAPTZ.IMG
5-Rename .system/ to Garmin/
6-Create Garmin/JCV (folder)
7-Download: 2015.30 Full Size JCV http://download.garmin.com/support/2015_30/NA/JV/D3060160A.JCV and put it in JCV folder (this download is not required if your Nuvi version downloads the Full Screen JCV by default)
8-Put car in run mode (with engine on or not)
9-Turn all unnecessary features off (i.e. A/C)
10-Leave your radio on (needed to recognize a USB is plugged in)
11-Goto the Navigation screen
12-Plug USB stick into vehicle, it will start Validating the USB stick
13-When the update prompts, follow the menus, when it askes for an unlock code, use JetMouse (usage not explained here)
14-Let the system update (1-1.5hr process, if engine is not on, the car will shutdown after some time, to prevent this cycle the off-acc-run button so it resets the idle timer)
15-Once it reaches 100%/full completion bar: It will either give a maps updated successfully message or reflash failed message. Just verify that the maps loaded fine, but you should be GTG.

CTP13
1-Copy the Garmindevice.xml from the nuvi onto your USB stick to the folder Garmin/
2-Run Garmin Express
3-Download CN NT 2015.30 NA update
4-Garmin Express will download the files to the USB stick in folder .system/, keep only the following files/folders:
.system/ASR (folder+contents): *******0.SRX to *******3.ASR (only the first 4 sequential files)
.system/SID (folder+contents): *********.sid (1st, 4th file only: D2656xxxx.sid & D3406xxxx.sid)
.system/SQLite (folder+contents)
.system/GMAP3D.IMG
.system/gmapprom.img
.system/GMAPTZ.IMG
5-Rename .system/ to Garmin/
6-Run gimgunlock on GMAP3D.IMG and GMAPPROM.img (usage not explained here)
7-Create text files GMAP3D.unl and GMAPPROM.unl and paste unlock code from JetMouse (usage not explained here, most state to exclude this step, but it had no negative effect on my system leaving it in the Garmin/ folder)
8-Put car in run mode (with engine on or not)
9-Turn all unnecessary features off (i.e. A/C)
10-Leave your radio on (needed to recognize a USB is plugged in)
11-Goto the Navigation screen
12-Plug USB stick into vehicle, it will start Validating the USB stick
13-When the update prompts, follow the menus
14-Let the system update (1-1.5hr process, if engine is not on, the car will shutdown after some time, to prevent this cycle the off-acc-run button so it resets the idle timer)
15-Once it reaches 100%/full completion bar: It should more than likely give a reflash failed message vice maps updated successfully message. Just verify that the maps loaded fine, but you should be GTG.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I found an interesting document here. It is a service bulletin for RE2, RE3, RE6, RB4, RB5 and RB6 Radio Enhancements. It doesn't specifically list the Dart but says Chargers, 300s and Journeys built on or before July 9th, 2012 or July 16th 2012 can be updated. My Dart has a build date of early July 2012. I'm thinking about ordering the two update CD's (68213523AA and 68213518AA) to see if they might apply to my Dart. A couple places list them for around $10 each.

Hmm, may have found the second update here (scroll to the bottom). This is *ONLY* for the RB5 CTP2012(.5) Darts, not the newer CTP2013 Darts. I'll probably still order both CD's anyway.

Follow-up: The above link for the second update did in fact upgrade the Garmin software version from 2.31 to 4.14. I investigated the first update a bit further. I think it would not work on the system in the Dart. It appears to be older than the version included with the RB5 in my Dart.

#3 ·
Thanks for the link. I was able to update my nav software without issue. FYI for others, My dart was built in Oct 2012, and has the CTP 2012.5

#4 ·
@EstoyLoco any idea why my UConnect says that my update file 2014.40 isn't compatible with my unit? I have the CTP2013 version and my USB drive has all of the folders and contents setup like you have listed above. I've got the .unl files with the unlock codes sitting in the main folder along side the .img files (which were unlocked).

#7 ·
I thought the CTP2013 systems didn't require the unl files. At least I think I read that somewhere. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

Did the maps you used include Canada and Mexico? The map has to match what the Dart has and it has the North American one that included Canada and Mexico.

#11 ·
#10 ·
I thought the CTP2013 systems didn't require the unl files. At least I think I read that somewhere. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

Did the maps you used include Canada and Mexico? The map has to match what the Dart has and it has the North American one that included Canada and Mexico.

I haven't tried mine yet but I ran GMapTool (info) on the gmapprom.img after updating my Garmin. It lists the file as "PID 1, FID 3187, CN North America NT 2014.40". Not sure if it helps.

#12 ·
I haven't tried mine yet but I ran GMapTool (info) on the gmapprom.img after updating my Garmin. It lists the file as "PID 1, FID 3187, CN North America NT 2014.40". Not sure if it helps.
Mine has the same FID, but I didn't use the gmaptool.

#14 · (Edited)
I broke down and bought a 3590lmt yesterday, should be here Thursday. Weird thing is now my GPS speed is way off sometimes, or at least it was on my was home.

Edit: GPS worked fine later in the day. May have been fluke.

#18 ·
For the purpose of this discussion, the proper way to get the files is to purchase a 3490LMT or a 3590LMT (possibly others) and update them through Garmin Express or buy the update DVD that has year old maps. You can download the appropriate JCV file directly from Garmin though.

#21 ·
I don't know how you guys feel about this, but when I built my car, I paid $495 extra for GPS. There's probably only a handful of GPS units out that cost THAT much, and I'm willing to bet that they all get free map updates. Ours should as well considering the premium we paid for it...

#22 ·
I think we should at least get 1 free update. My maps were out of date when I picked up the car. :( Now when I go to certain places the roads are all different, some have changed names, etc.

#23 ·
what even worse is they actually have an 8.4 screen without it. WHY did some penny pincher have to sit there and say lets make it an option. lets spend more money on making a radio without the software (cause lets face it that's all it is). I don't get it. They have probably made hand over fist already on the original cost to make the unit. Dumb.

Just like GM though. I have a Cadillac ATS WITH nav. gm actually has the same ats one trim level down from mine that has the same radio but no nav. however its worse with GM because they still give you a Navigation button. But when you press it, it tells you to call onstar. HAHA what a waste. If this was 10 years ago I would understand but its not and anyone can get a Better than OEM navigation system for 1-200 bucks. ITs a joke if you ask me. Of course that's my opinion. but still it makes no sense. the best part is Sirius and XM have there hands in our pockets with the same units. You can not get traffic without a subscription However back to the 1-200 dollar units that get I for free. The worst part of the traffic is you have to pay for radio as well to get it. SO yea what a joke.

#29 ·
If you buy a 3490LMT or a 3590LMT, it comes with lifetime map updates. L=lifetime, M=maps, T=traffic. There my be others that will work but I've read the 3490 and the 3590 are considered the best matches to the Garmin system in our Darts.

I didn't get to try installing the newer maps this weekend. I'll try next weekend.

#32 ·
So with a CTP13 do we need the .UNL files? If so, what do we put for Unit ID for Jetmouse? I keep getting an error when it attempts to validate the update. The hourglass goes for about 5 - 10 minutes and then I get the error. I have 5 files in ASR, and 1 file in each JCV, SID, and SQLite folder. Then just GMAP.IMG, gmapprom.img, and GMAPTZ.IMG. What am I missing? Is it case sensitive?

#33 ·
The. Unl files don't go in the folder, leave them out.
For the SID folder, there should be 4 files:
D2656140A.sid
D3157120A.sid
D3398110A.sid
D3406110A.sid

If you're getting a read error, then you need a better quality USB drive.

#37 ·
definitely not as easy as it was stated. there is a few things to know. and it is a pain some times. ALso since the system takes forever to import it is a much better idea to have the car running if possible. will stop the possibility of the ign timing out if you have a pushbutton start.

My self and Starscreem and been going back and forth working on what is needed etc and Finally it was successful.

the information is vastly available. and google searches will lead you to the files if you are like me and know its all available just takes some time to get what is needed.

now I have the 2014.40 maps on my car with RED light and speed camera warnings with full version large view Junction files ( the part of the map where it shows you the next intersection if you are navigating.

#38 ·
My Durango has the full JCV file, I prefer the split screen version myself, so that's what I'm using when I finally get mine to work. I made it to the point where the MAP file installs 100%, but fails right after that and it doesn't write to the system. So like you did, I'm going to rebuild the map file and try again just trying to install Map Source now so that I can do that next.

#45 ·
3-Download CT NT 2014.40 NA update- I'm stuck here. How did you download the map files from Express?
4-Copy the following files that is downloaded to a USB stick- Where are the files located?
Garmin/ASR (folder+contents)
Garmin/SID (folder+contents)
Garmin/SQLite (folder+contents)
Garmin/GMAP3D.IMG
Garmin/gmapprom.img
Garmin/GMAPTZ.IMG

#46 ·
Well I did some google searching and found all of the files needed to do the upgrade. I also found some more information on a chrysler 300 forum where they were also using this same method to upgrade their maps. They said at the end it might say it failed, but it still upgrades the maps. I upgraded mine and it said it failed, but when I checked the map version it was upgraded to the 2014.40 version. @RenderVoid are you coming to mopars in may on saturday? If you are you can use my usb drive to update your maps.

#48 · (Edited)
@RenderVoid are you coming to mopars in may on saturday? If you are you can use my usb drive to update your maps.
Just reminder I believe the unlock code is tied to your unit, so you will have to unlock using his/her units id. Sorry it's been over 8 mos since I updated my cars but if I recall correctly this was the case.

3-Download CT NT 2014.40 NA update- I'm stuck here. How did you download the map files from Express?
4-Copy the following files that is downloaded to a USB stick- Where are the files located?
See Tambam's post. I however pull my files direct from the Garmin express download directory .System off my USB drive and not the Nuvi.

#47 ·
EstoyLoco, great writup.

I'd make a couple of additions to the first post, though, to help clear up any misunderstanding.

First off, I'd add a step to the beginning so that folks are able to browse the nuvi on their PC by telling them how to enable the Mass Storage Mode:

1) Go to the main "Where To?" screen.
2) Tap the "Volume" button.
3) Touch and hold the upper-right corner of the screen for about seven seconds, until the Diagnostic Page opens.
4) Scroll down and select the "MTP Settings" menu bar.
5) Select "Mass Storage" and press the "Save" button.

This will make the nuvi behave like a USB drive when it's plugged into the PC. Garmin Express will still work fine. This only needs to be done one time.

The files that they're looking for are located in the hidden ".System" folder.

If they are getting the files pulled from the nuvi instead of downloading them directly to the USB stick, the ASR, SID, & SQLite folders contain a LOT of unnecessary (and potentially harmful) files for the nuvi. It should be clear which actual files should be copied over to the USB stick for installation in the car.

Without listing the actual file names, I don't know the best way to do this, but the post would need to be edited each quarter when new maps are released.

Again, great writeup.

#52 ·
If they are getting the files pulled from the nuvi instead of downloading them directly to the USB stick, the ASR, SID, & SQLite folders contain a LOT of unnecessary (and potentially harmful) files for the nuvi. It should be clear which actual files should be copied over to the USB stick for installation in the car.

Without listing the actual file names, I don't know the best way to do this, but the post would need to be edited each quarter when new maps are released.

Again, great writeup.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize that it downloaded extra files to the nuvi since I've been doing it direct to USB drive. I have updated the directions to reflect how to update using a USB drive. (still require nuvi for the garmindevices.xml).
Those inquiring or wanting to share this file, I would discourage it, Garmin could essentially ban that specific GPS Unit ID/xml if shared/multiple IP's pulling downloads off their servers and there goes your LMT. Of course you are free to do as you wish, but DO NOT POST requests or your XML files in this post

#51 · (Edited)
I updated my CTP2012 system to the 2014.40 maps today. I used a Lexar S50 8GB Jumpdrive I purchased at Target. I thought it might be too fast so I had an older USB stick to try but it worked the first time I tried it.

Technology Electronic device Material property

I think the USB drive was right around $15. I'll get an extra (or two) the next time I'm at Target for backups.

Edit: I used a 3950LMT with a cracked screen I purchased on eBay for less than $40 (shipped) to get the maps. Even with the cracked screen, it is fully functional. I bought a cheap screen protector to cover the cracked screen.

#53 · (Edited)
I updated my CTP2012 system to the 2014.40 maps today. I used a Lexar S50 8GB Jumpdrive I purchased at Target. I thought it might be too fast so I had an older USB stick to try but it worked the first time I tried it.

I think the USB drive was right around $15. I'll get an extra (or two) the next time I'm at Target for backups.

Edit: I used a 3950LMT with a cracked screen I purchased on eBay for less than $40 (shipped) to get the maps. Even with the cracked screen, it is fully functional. I bought a cheap screen protector to cover the cracked screen.
Congrats. A lot of the failures also has to do with web downloaded files. A single bit off in one of the files can throw off upgrades. In my testing, I had significant problems trying to load web downloaded files using the same successful USB stick, majority of the time the web files are modified in someway or pre-unlocked... working with raw unedited files is always the best. It wasn't worth trying to find files on the web that works, successful updates are a hit or miss. In the end, I used LMT Garmin Express downloaded files which resulted in success every time.

And great job thinking outside the box. For $55 you now have easy access to quarterly updates :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.