Dodge Dart Forum banner

How do you [open trunk when battery is dead]....

73K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  richz@11 
#1 ·
how do you open the trunk when there is no key slot and your battery is dead?

#2 ·
Pg 44 of the owner's manual:

The trunk lid can be released from
outside the vehicle by pressing the
TRUNK button on the Remote
Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter
twice within five seconds or by
using the external release switch
located on the underside of the
decklid overhang. The release feature
will function only when the
vehicle is in the unlock condition.

#9 ·
Woah, this says that there is a button on the decklid for opening the trunk on the keyless entry... (as opposed to keyless enter-and-go)?

You could also put the rear seats down and use the "I've been kidnapped and stuffed in the trunk" escape handle.
I pull those off on every car I own... you never know when you may need to put a live one back there, ya know?
Dear Law Enforcement, this is a joke. :shocked:

#3 ·
open the hood and charger the battery??

this is much worse in the Challenger...the battery is in the trunk!

#4 · (Edited)
There should be a trunk release button somewhere on the front dash (don't have mine yet, and manual isn't specific) but if the battery is completely dead, beyond the won't-start level, then the only mechanical way to open it would be to pull the back seats open and open from the inside trunk lid.

EDIT: Not mentioned, but also important, is that both keyless entry keyfobs have emergency keys for opening the car door when either battery is dead (see manual page 16). I'm not sure where the emergency key goes in the door, though. Maybe on the underside or on some part of the handle?

#5 ·
You could also put the rear seats down and use the "I've been kidnapped and stuffed in the trunk" escape handle.

#6 ·
^ This is how its done lol

Funny facts: Those glow in the dark handles are used everywhere now. The Ram has them on the bedside "RamBox" incase you try and hide somebody in there, and the folding floor pieces in the Grand Caravan/Town & Country have them for the middle row bins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.