Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 Tank of Gas...

10K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  razrdawg 
#1 ·
This past weekend my wife and I did a trip to Reno, NV from San Bruno, CA. It is rougly 289 miles one way. As we know the Dart has a 15.7 gallon tank. We left around 10:30 in the morning and got there around 3:00 in the afternoon. The amazing thing is that with cruise control set to 70MPH, I averaged 33 MPG on the way up. Keep in mind that it was as high as 39MPG but due to having to go up hill on the last leg of the drive, the average declined. I also made it there on less than half a tank. 250 miles on a quarter tank and then another eighth of a tank to finish off the trip. We then drove about another 20 miles while up there and headed home with only half a tank of gas. The important thing to remember right now is that I had to go up hill on the way there which of course will use more gas then going down hill. It took us longer to get home due to some traffice and I had the cruise control set to 65MPH. I was averageing about 40-41MPG until I hit some heavy, stop and go, traffic. When we finally parked the car, I was suprised to notice that I still had an eighth of a tank of gas left. So to recap...IT was 598 miles total for the entire trip. ALL ON ONE TANK OF 91 OCTANE GAS. I was completely amazed at this. My wife can even attest to the fact that we did not stop at all on the way back. Mostly becuase she was asleep for over half the drive home. Overall, I was very impressed with this little car.

#6 ·
This is going to be awesome for me on my way to Florida. About 900+ miles from NJ.

Thanks for the report! I will report on my gas efficiency on my long trip.

#13 · (Edited)
keep it out of the turbo and you should be fine. lol

Heh, driving like an old person I only managed 21.9 mpg on my first tank :( and that is with popping it in neutral to coast to red lights...
First tank is one thing - the other, is which fuel you use. If you don't use 91oct, the milage goes down. If you'e doing a lot of inter-city travel, and alot of boosting (primarily uphill driving & accelerating) the milage goes down. The first tank is usually worse than after break-in. After you go through your break-in process it should go up a bit. Also - high-altitude or low-altitude will affect milage as well, since the oxygen is thinner up high & thicker down low.

#10 ·
lol my habits have changed a lot. I'm known to be a gas pedal masher but when I have an ugly number staring me in the face I know to adjust now. It's very nice.

#11 ·
Heh, driving like an old person I only managed 21.9 mpg on my first tank :( and that is with popping it in neutral to coast to red lights...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.