Dodge Dart Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racing!!!!!

10K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  CodyKulas 
#1 ·
So belive it or not the dart is faster then you think it is. I have raced a 5.0 fox body mustang, v6 mustang with a full header back exhaust intake and a race tune. A 2.4 Kia fourtea koupe and a 2.0 dart. They were all from a dig and I pulled them all by at least 1.1/2 cars has anyone else raced anything else?

#3 ·
Our Citrus Rallye is a daily driver too, but it will be raced when our son is driving age. We'll have him on the autocross (SCCA Solo2) course as soon as he gets his license. No better way to learn how to REALLY handle a car on the road!

The mods we're making for the Dart will be rounded out to all aspects of performance- not juts for top speed or top miles-per-gallon.

Anthony: if you want to race, please keep it on the track. It's not expensive to get involved in Solo2 racing, and it's a hellova lot of fun. Oh, and legal. I have spiritedly accellerated from a stoplight in my HEMI Challenger numerous times and was "beaten" by someone driving fast in a slow car. They didn't win anything- not even a cookie. My wife and I have a wall-full of trophies, and I've gotten thousands in sponsorship from real racing, though. :)

#4 ·
Anthony: if you want to race, please keep it on the track. It's not expensive to get involved in Solo2 racing, and it's a hellova lot of fun. Oh, and legal. I have spiritedly accellerated from a stoplight in my HEMI Challenger numerous times and was "beaten" by someone driving fast in a slow car. They didn't win anything- not even a cookie. My wife and I have a wall-full of trophies, and I've gotten thousands in sponsorship from real racing, though. :)
That's awesome! I think I remember seeing a program in TN where the LEOs have a program to keep people off the streets by renting a dragstrip or track every month for people to come race each other or even the cops. Wish Fl had a program like that.

#9 · (Edited)
I beat this one chick by quite a few car lengths... she was driving a School Bus and I decided to cut back at 67mph because the speed limit on the highway was 65mph. :saint:

In all seriousness, this isn't a race car. It's fast, for an economy car. But racing on the road is illegal, and very frowned upon at these forums. If you want to race then take it to the track where other people are less likely to be affected by your lapse of judgement. I'm not gonna say I haven't done it before, but I learned better... I had a good friend in high school who happened to be in a car with someone who felt the need for speed. Long story short, it ended with my friend being decapitated and another rear passenger dying as well. The driver walked away without a scratch, of course. (And by walked away, I mean went to jail for manslaughter) http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/news_a...erbury_car_rollover_200905110636#.UKLBy6U1blI

That was my wake-up call... and as bad as it was, it could have been worse if they hit another vehicle. So, if you don't care about your own life then atleast think about the other people (in your car, pedestrians, or other motorists) who didn't choose to screw around but may become your victims.

#10 ·
Plan on running mine around a Road Course. I ran my hemi magnum this season, was only $60 for 4 hours of track time. on/off as you please, and should be cheaper next year with more attendees.

Have a blast everytime, and convoying up is also cool

#12 ·
I seriously doubt that either mustang was trying. And maybe the Kia as well since the HP and torque are close, but has close to a 3-400 lb advantage. The 5.0 fox body wasn't that fast stock, but still faster than a Dart. I once raced my buddy in his '88 fox body with ported intake manifold, headers, and H-pipe exhaust in my stock 2004 srt-4 and barely got him. My car's best 1/4 mile at a crappy track was 14.2 @ 103 mph spinning all of 1st and most of 2nd gears. Like Lammy said he ran a 16.8. That is slow in drag racing. Really slow. And all seriousness. Keep it to the track. Way safer.

#20 ·
It's actually funny to see someone next to you speed up and they think you want to race.
I was on my way to school once in my Neon and I was going over the speed limit but I wasn't trying to race anyone, I was just trying to get to class and some moron in a high end car sped up next to me just to pass as I was turning.

#22 ·
What I've found is that all cars (even same year and model) can be very different. MY 1.4 manual is speedy! It really gets up and goes, and I can somehow make a front wheel drive burn out in every gear. It burns out going into second pretty easily actually. I'm very impressed with the power of it. If you don't know much about how turbos work and dont know how to let them spool correctly before you ask for a lot, you will think it is gutless!

#23 ·
I've had a little fun, just running the thing up through gears with some 'spirit' behind it. I would call these cars quick, but not fast. I look forward to in future squeezing a little more power out of it and finding some nice backroads to drive on.

#27 ·
Victims so far ,in Mexico of course- Toyota Corolla XRS and VW Jetta 1.8T

#33 ·
I think everyone knows that the dart won't reach 400whp for at least two years (if you plan to take it that high). I just plan to probably get 300whp out of it and keep it as my DD. My gto will be my 10 sec car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.